1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by josepidal, Apr 14, 2006.

1. dgonsh

dgonsh Senior member

Anyone able to identify these sunglasses? not salt, or garrett leight i don't think...

x[​IMG]

2. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Not a match, but the Cutler and Gross 1008 is close in shape, and has a neat metal bridge.

3. Kjuba Wodka

Kjuba Wodka New Member

4. mildundklar

mildundklar Well-Known Member

What do you guys say about this pair of Oliver People NDG? Real or fake? Fuck...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  5. unity006

unity006 Member

These are genuine.

100%

I have a few pairs of oliver peoples and know what to look for.

6. mildundklar

An AD confirmed them as fake, i'm afraid.

7. unity006

unity006 Member

What is "AD"?

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

9. unity006

unity006 Member

If you think about it.

Why would a dealer confirm them as genuine?

If they sake they are fake, you are more likely to buy a genuine pair from them.

Also if the sunglasses are few years old, the dealer would not have a clue as authenticity signs change. Such as the model code text will be in different font or format, the storage case design changes. The actual shape/model may be the type that the dealer did not see because he was only dealing for 3-4 years but the sunglasses are from a collection 5 years ago.

It is better to do your own research and learn how to spot fakes.

I mean google is a good starting point.

There are TONS of guides with photos and videos.

For instance I found this guide which explains how to identify genuine Prada Sunglases:

http://usedlux.com/2013/07/how-to-spot-fake-prada-sunglasses/

10. mildundklar

I'm so excited about my recent buy. I've tried some models from Garrett Leight and Oliver Peoples but ended up with a pair of Cutler and Gross from Mr.Porter.
    [​IMG]

This pair will complete my triple among with OP Gregory Peck & Clubmaster.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    2 people like this.
  11. skenney

skenney Senior member

That's part of the 5th Anniversary Collection, correct?

12. mildundklar

Spot on!

13. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

are AO still the best deal in sunglasses? does it get any better for ~$50?

14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Perhaps. But maybe some ADs aren't manipulative dicks who might just answer an honest question with an honest answer. I happened to pick up some Tom Fords from a somewhat rando retailer a while back and for various reasons I had some reservations. Took them to TF right on Rodeo and Charles (who is now a friend and helps me immensely every time I come in) was more than happy to check them out. He got out an in-store pair of the same glasses, the case, card, packaging, everything ... and he went through everything point by point until he finally concluded … "yep mate… they're real!"

Just my 2 cents … but worked out for me. Got a great deal on TF aviators and now they know be by name on Rodeo. Could have been worse.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. blurryface

blurryface New Member

Does anyone know what model these Ray-bans are? They look very similar to RB3386 but these lens haveva straight bottom. Any help would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

16. blurryface

blurryface New Member

Still looking for a model number for these Ray-bans. Anyone?
    [​IMG]

17. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Speaking of Tom Ford. I just picked up a pair of aviators too called Franklin. I'm really disappointed by the weight and feel of them. They're my first TFs and I can't believe they're so light, then I realize the lens material is made of plastic. No poly or glass, but plastic. They're light like CVS shades light. I might have to send them back, I'm surprised they can charge $370 for a pair.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  18. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Polycarbonate is plastic, too. In fact, it's one of the lower grades of lens materials usually reserved for impact protection due to its high strength (but poor optics). Tom Fords are made by Marcolin, which is the better of the conglomerates, but still not quite as good as an independent high end brand. However, very few high end sunglasses use glass lenses; most are made to be light but durable and use CR-39 lenses.The few high end sunglass brands that do use glass only have them in a limited number of models, since most customers complain about the weight of sunglasses with glass lenses.

1 person likes this.
  19. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Interesting. I'm no expert but I have sunglasses from Ray Ban, Persol, and Oliver Peoples and all of them use some of sort of glass (it feels cold to the touch and hard on the teeth haha). I assume that that's the best material because my OPs have them and the fit and finish of OPs are really excellent, the hinges are really well done, much better than TFs. I guess I'm not used to the feather weight of the TFs, it almost feels cheap in my mind.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  20. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

The TF's aren't in the league of high end brands like your Oliver Peoples, so if you're looking for something more along those lines I'd recommend something else. Take a look at IC! Berlin, Mykita No. 1, and Salt Optic's titanium frames to try something that's both light and high quality. IC! Berlin and Mykita use screwless hinges made of sheetmetal and have some of the most durable frames out there. My titanium salts have washers in the hinges that allow them to have no play at all, but operate smoothly. I would say that Salt has about the best optics among high end sunglasses, too (although glass is rare). A lot of people bash Oliver Peoples since they were bought by Lux and the quality went down, but I would say that they still have some models that easily hold their own if you get a good example. They're hit and miss, though. My Benedicts have great optics and the frames are really cleanly made, but I also had a different model with warped frames and mediocre optics. Both Salt and Barton Perreira were founded by former OP employees who were unhappy with the direction the brand was going.