• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

skywalker

Reaction score
what sunglasses are these?

onstyle

Reaction score

I have two pairs... they're very nice overall but not worth retail in my opinion. $3-$400 for Sheldrakes? They're photochromic but not polarized. Probably get them for half that.
Where can you find real Oliver Peoples for half price? Best I can find is the 20% deals from optical shop of aspen.

I'm looking for a very specific pair of Oliver People's Aero 54. They retail for $450 w/o prescription & most places only carry Aero 57 so I'd have to order them. Had a friend try to buy OP online and they were fakes. Really good fake but the lenses were not authentic OP polarized lenses. Someone who doesn't know OP well would've been fooled by them. Thanks for any help in a reputable place to order OP for half off.

Last edited:

xglider

Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify these sunglasses? They are not RayBans. The photo was taken in 2011, of James Blake at a music festival in Barcelona. I've scoured the design sunglasses across many brands but could not ID them.

thanks!

mike1445

Reaction score
I
I know that the sportier Oakley's are a no-no with suits, however, what about: Oakley Garage Rock (black or woodgrain frame) http://www.oakley.com/products/7022/26703 Oakley Halbrook (rootbeer) http://www.oakley.com/products/6498/23991 Oakley Plaintiff Squared (black or brown chrome) http://www.oakley.com/products/7144/27193 I'm thinking the Plaintiff Squared is the safest bet? [/quoteI've got the Holbrook in root beer, only got them bc a friend is a manager for Oakley but I've never found a wayfarer style that fit me as we'll as they do

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where can you find real Oliver Peoples for half price? Best I can find is the 20% deals from optical shop of aspen. I'm looking for a very specific pair of Oliver People's Aero 54. They retail for $450 w/o prescription & most places only carry Aero 57 so I'd have to order them. Had a friend try to buy OP online and they were fakes. Really good fake but the lenses were not authentic OP polarized lenses. Someone who doesn't know OP well would've been fooled by them. Thanks for any help in a reputable place to order OP for half off.
First pair I grabbed at a boutique in my hometown for near 50%... 2nd pair I got on Bluefly (although this was over a year ago and I now refuse to buy anything from them) for $85, and I've often seen them at Nordstrom's on sale during Summer Sale or Anniversary sale pretty cheap. Also have seen tons of OP and Persol at over 50% off at Saks Off Fifth. There are plently of places to get them discounted if you just look around.
I know that the sportier Oakley's are a no-no with suits, however, what about:
Oakley Garage Rock (black or woodgrain frame) http://www.oakley.com/products/7022/26703 Oakley Halbrook (rootbeer) http://www.oakley.com/products/6498/23991 Oakley Plaintiff Squared (black or brown chrome) http://www.oakley.com/products/7144/27193 I'm thinking the Plaintiff Squared is the safest bet?
1st pair are hideous... 2nd meh, completely unremarkable... 3rd are the least offensive, but beg the question why would you pay $200 for a pair of Oakley's??

theh00d

Reaction score
Randolph Engineering Aviator or American Optical Original Pilot?

Last edited:

dirty rob

Reaction score
Randolph Engineering Aviator or American Optical Original Pilot?
I ordered both and kept the RE aviator as the AO sunglasses I received appeared to be of relatively inferior construction and quality.

dlm4114

Reaction score
Anyone have any recs for someone with a huge head? The Maui Jim Ho'okipas that I wear for running fit nicely at 63/17, and the Sandalwoods I had a while ago were a little snug at 64/14. I'd like to get something nicer but am having trouble finding anything that looks like it'll fit. Am I reading too much into the lens measurements?

As far as style goes, I like the Goodwin from Salt Optics and the Mitchell, Marshall, and Brasco from Barton Perreira a lot. Pretty much an aviator style with an acetate frame. Lens/frame colorways that pop are always a plus too, definitely willing to get a little adventurous.

I found a pair of Mosley Tribes that look like they'll fit, but I'd like to avoid Luxxotica if possible. Thanks for the help --

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads