• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're about to make a purchase, check out Gaffos.com.

Just bought a pair of 714s from them. Given the prices, I was skeptical that they were selling legitimate stuff, so I bought a second pair of 714s from a regular retailer. I compared the retail pair to the Gaffos pair and they're identical, even down to the polarized/photochromatic lenses, which would be hard to fake. Recommended.

I don't find $250 for the Persols at all suspicious as far as pricing goes... I've seen them for about that quite often. But $90 for Tom Ford aviators? That seems a bit suspect... don't know, just saying...

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

considering most sunglasses are made by luxottica, buy whatever fits you best regardless of price

fortunately none of my sunglasses are made by luxxotica

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure how I feel about illesteva leonards...i got the ones daniel craig has the clear face with the tortoiseshell sides....def unique and no one else in boston should have these...which is important to me I cant stand it when people have the same eye ware as me...probably my biggest pet peeve.

TheJer

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a new pair of sunglasses in matte black with black frames and I'm looking for something really rectangular / boxy. I looked through half this thread and came across these

Oliver Peoples
Bernardo Square Sunglasses/Black

and

Marc by Marc Retro Rectangle Sunglasses

That is the sort of look I want, but the Oliver's are more than I'm willing to pay (Looking at sub $200) and the Marc Jacobs don't come in a black/black.

If anyone knows something similar to these that is strictly black I would appreciate any ideas. I'm really struggling to find what I want.

mike1445

Reaction score
Mosley Tribes is perfect for you, same makers as Oliver Peoples but marketed on a lower tier, same quality, but just at your pricepoint. Four styles on Zappos match the look your going for, stafford carden hillyard lyndel, i just like zappos cause its free shipping back and forth so you can try them on at home.

http://www.zappos.com/men-sunglasse...4gIEARgCCw.zso?s=goliveRecentSalesStyle/desc/

lyndel polarized at $180 is a pretty solid choice, ive seen them on people and they look great, my heads to big for them unfortunately

Last edited:

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ehhhh don't like them.

Check Randolph Engineering, they make some nice American Made, somewhat cheaper Aviators....

http://www.randolphusa.com/

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Similar styles to Persol 714?
Used to like Wayfarers, but now that everyone has them... any alternatives?

I have a pair of 714 in 54mm but looking for something in 50-52, as they're a bit too big for my face. So if you want to trade or have a pair to sell, PM me! :slayer:

Last edited:

computurd

Reaction score

I'm trying to find a new pair of sunglasses in matte black with black frames and I'm looking for something really rectangular / boxy. I looked through half this thread and came across these
Oliver Peoples
Bernardo Square Sunglasses/Black

and
Marc by Marc Retro Rectangle Sunglasses

That is the sort of look I want, but the Oliver's are more than I'm willing to pay (Looking at sub $200) and the Marc Jacobs don't come in a black/black.
If anyone knows something similar to these that is strictly black I would appreciate any ideas. I'm really struggling to find what I want.

Anymore ideas of where to get more affordable flatbrow sunglasses. I cant buy of Zappos

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for sunglasses that have the same tilt as the rayban 2140 original wayfarer's. The slanted position the eyepieces have fits my face perfectly but i just don't like the style so much. I am more of a fan of the PERSOL styling.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

recondite

Reaction score
Looking for exact replacement of sunglasses that were probably discontinued 15 years ago and which now rest on the bottom of Lake Mead after a ungainly dismount at very high speed from an overpowered and heavily modified SeaDoo.

Brand: ?
Model: Slim Jim, Slim Jims, Slim Jim's, or Slim Jimz
Shape: very small trapezoidal lens, just big enough to cover the eye and lids
Frame: gold metal, flattened wire
Temple piece: skull or bayonet with downward curve
Lens: color grey, and possible polycarbonate lens
Polarized: ?, maybe
Retail: >$100, Maybe $130 in 1997 dollars.

Last known retailer: Sunglasses Hut, Dana Point, California; now closed or relocated

Feel free to PM me with details of how and where to purchase.

Many thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads