Sunglasses for men, what are you wearing this season?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by homi, May 27, 2006.

1. homi

homi Senior member

I need a pair of designer lesnses finally, but i have no experience really with designer sunglasses.

I dont really like shopping around for them as not alot of them catch my eye.

I do like some of the stuff by marc jacobs , gucci, or YSL. But i was wondering if u could post some pics of the glasses, and maybe u in them.

What is considered a good fit? Just being comfortable on the bridge, or anything else?

2. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Rimless Aviators. The Fonda Glasses by Tom Ford look cool. Also, the Shield by Ray Ban is cool.

3. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

A couple of Persol for dress, a couple of Revo for casual and Smith for sport.

All with Polarized glass lens(highly recommended) with the exception of the Smiths which are Polarized plastic.

I suggest that you go to a reputable, well stocked optician/sunglass shop where with the assistance of an experienced fitter you can try on a hundred pairs, you'll find something that works.

[​IMG]

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Cutler and Gross
    Eight Below Zero

6. kronik

kronik Senior member

Giorgio Armani - simple, elegant, classic

7. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I have a couple Oakley's I'm thinking of getting another pair this time square maybe a wire.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Here is a pair I have but in black: [​IMG] Be forewarned, they are the size of Irving Paul Lazar's. Another: [​IMG]

9. Alter

Alter Senior member

Giorgio Armani - simple, elegant, classic

I agree. I don't care much for Armani clothes but I have a pair of sunglasses that are very nice quality and style.

10. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I will add my weight to the Armani camp. Bought a pair for $50 when they switched from Luxottica to Safilo (or is it the other way around), blessed restraint-of-trade clauses!

Otherwise, Persol is one of the most classically elegant brands going. Some of the new pieces by Zegna are attractive, but probably overpriced...

11. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I might get some real aviator sunglasses soon. I'm not sure where I'd begin for quality ones with normal ear thingies (don't know what the things that sit on your ears to keep them on your face are called if there's even a name) at around that price, much less polarized ones. If you guys could help me though, I'd appreciate it. Looking for just normal black frames, black lenses.

12. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Jovan, websense is blocking your link for me, don't ask. I assume they have earpieces that run straight back, which is actually authentic, such as authentic exists nowadays. Easier to put on and take off while wearing a helmet or other complex headgear. The two brands issued by the USAF are Randolph Engineering and Amercan Optical. Both make something like you're looking for, from $30-$90.

Tom

13. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Jovan, websense is blocking your link for me, don't ask. I assume they have earpieces that run straight back, which is actually authentic, such as authentic exists nowadays. Easier to put on and take off while wearing a helmet or other complex headgear. The two brands issued by the USAF are Randolph Engineering and Amercan Optical. Both make something like you're looking for, from $30-$90. Tom
    Those are the ones I've been wearing for years now - be advised that they come in different widths.

14. homi

homi Senior member

ill take a look into those aviator brands, i always like authentic shit

15. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

That depends on how you define "fit." Shape, size, and weight matter. Color isn't fit, but it also is important. All should be relative to the wearer's physical characteristics.