• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses for fat faces

montyharding

Reaction score
The first thing you're going to say is - lose weight. Yes sure, but I need something to tide me over but in any case I have a wide face. I really liked the styling of the Gascan for casuals, so I got it - and my face hangs out about half an inch to either side of the glasses. Any recommendations?

bharnage

Reaction score
http://www.unitedshades.com/en/choosing.htm
Originally Posted by suggestions for a round face
Frames should make the face appear longer and thinner. In general, look for frames equal to or slightly wider than the broadest part of the face. Minimize the curves and add definition with soft, angular, rectangular styles or double brow styles. Higher temples will create a longer profile. Sunglasses with brow bars also pull the eye upward, making the face appear longer. Frame suggestions : Wider frames with angular / rectangular styles

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asian Fit. I have a big fat head, too.

Prada has a decent looking pair that fit me and that's what I wear. I'm not all keen on spending $250 on a pair of sunglasses, but they work. On the upside, I've kept them for 2 years which is a new record for me.
smile.gif

TowleY

Reaction score
in my opinion, just try on glasses that you think fit. its all based on the person, not the side of a face. Just like with regular clothing, i like to wear loose baggy clothing wear as some people like tight fit stuff. I think you just need to go to a sunglass store and look around see whats there. How much are you looking to spend. What size hat do you wear. Like a fitted hat, it will tell us how big of a head you have. Try aviators, or armani's.

chronic

Reaction score
Frames Direct gives measurements for sunglasses, so you can find wider styles. They also have a "virtual eyeglass try-on" so you can see how you look.

Leaf

Reaction score
I think the rule-of-thumb for the sunglasses fit is that the glasses should be as wide as your face. If the eyewear is too narrow for your face and it leaves marks where the temples touch your skin.

The models I know that work for people that need larger fit sunglasses are:

Bolle Boa
Ray-Ban RB3267 in 69 mm size
WileyX SG-1

Wiley X SG-1 that I recommended is very good for active sports like racing or riding a bike that require safety eyewear.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
The first thing you're going to say is - lose weight. Yes sure, but I need something to tide me over but in any case I have a wide face. I really liked the styling of the Gascan for casuals, so I got it - and my face hangs out about half an inch to either side of the glasses. Any recommendations?
Why don't you just go to a sunglasses store and try some **** on? If they don't have a style you like, at least find something that fits your face, taje the measurements, then compare with a brand you do like. If you really have a "fat face" then you need to go to the store and try something on. Simple as that. -By the way, Aviators tend to come on larger sized frames, so if you like the Aviator look I am sure you can find numerous brands that make ones large enough for you. Many of the larger brands (such as Rayban) make their styles in several different sizes.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know, but this thread title sounds like a great name for a band.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one's mentioned it, but get something with spring hinges at the temple. If you find a plastic frame you like, it can also be adjusted by any optical shop to fit your face. I've had some of mine adjusted outward at the temple to give me more 'room' in the temple area.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
No one's mentioned it, but get something with spring hinges at the temple. If you find a plastic frame you like, it can also be adjusted by any optical shop to fit your face. I've had some of mine adjusted outward at the temple to give me more 'room' in the temple area.

SPring hinges are not for adjust ability. They are so that they dont break when you put them on and take them off. Please do not think that spring Hinges are for wide faces, it is a false hope. If you want wide frames, look into Mercedes Benz, Tag, Mont Blanc and a few Giorgio Armani peices...

joh15

Reaction score
Sunglasses are manufactured according to the face types........whichever face type you posses.......doesn't matter at all........la wholesale retain sunglasses for every face type.........so don't think much just visit an authorized la wholesale store and purchase a suitable sunglass for yourself...........guys.........go ahead.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joh15
Sunglasses are manufactured according to the face types........whichever face type you posses.......doesn't matter at all........la wholesale retain sunglasses for every face type.........so don't think much just visit an authorized la wholesale store and purchase a suitable sunglass for yourself...........guys.........go ahead.

??? I dont understand your post.
eh.gif

Hollowthorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joh15
lol what is going on here?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads