• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglass brands, Ray Ban, Maui Jim, Reptile

new obsession

Reaction score
I wear sunglasses (polarized) whenever I am outside or driving, otherwise I end up squinting and getting a headache. I usually have several pairs, however recently I have gone on a losing spree, and now I need replacements. I bought a pair of polarized Ray Bans with poly-whatever lenses, and over thw past two weeks I have come to realize that they don't hold a candle to the brands I used to have -- Maui Jim and Reptile.

I was wondering if any of you have experience with these brands. As I recall, when I wore either one of them, I actually saw better than without them on. Anyone prefer one over the other? Anyone have any other suggestions?

(If this fits better in another location, feel free to move it, thanks.)

NYLaw

Reaction score
Hey man... I also love wearing shades... I currently have two pairs in my rotation that I love:

Oliver Peoples metal frame with lenses that get a bit darker in the sun- these I wear with suits and/or while driving usually...

For more casual wear I picked up a pair of the HUGE Tom Ford Buckleys in black... They're kind of movie-star-ish large, but if you can pull them off, they're a great pair of sunglasses.

I haven't personally owned a pair of Maui Jims but family & friends love 'em... Any of the above brands will/should last years, in the quality dept.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYLaw
Hey man... I also love wearing shades... I currently have two pairs in my rotation that I love:

Oliver Peoples metal frame with lenses that get a bit darker in the sun- these I wear with suits and/or while driving usually...

For more casual wear I picked up a pair of the HUGE Tom Ford Buckleys in black... They're kind of movie-star-ish large, but if you can pull them off, they're a great pair of sunglasses.

I haven't personally owned a pair of Maui Jims but family & friends love 'em... Any of the above brands will/should last years, in the quality dept.

Oliver Peoples?? Never heard of them. How are the optics? Meaning, if you really want to see something when wearing the glasses, do you take them off?

I am looking for the kind of polarized glasses where you have to take them off to look at an ATM screen, because they filter out that much reflected light.

NYLaw

Reaction score
Oliver Peoples Los Angeles is the brand worn most by celebs (Nickelson, Cruise, Pitt, Clooney, Tim Robbins, Spacey, Speilberg, Bono, Foxx, Downy Jr., Cameron Diaz, Angelina, even Ozzy...) Go to www.oliverpeoples.com ... Mine are actually not the polarized lenses, so I couldn't speak from experience. I can tell you that the quality of their optics is supposedly top notch... If you live near an OP store, you can pick whatever color and coatings you want. Otherwise you have to go to an authorized OP seller (Saks, Neimans) or order on their website, but I wouldn't recommend buying sunglasses online without being sure you're happy with how they look!

Dan-

Reaction score
I wear Revos, which have glass polarized lenses. The downside is that they're expensive, at about the same price point as Maui Jim, but the optical quality is much, much better. They tend to be more sporty, so ymmv.

There's some online sunglasses store based in Houston that has lower prices than everyone but is still reputable. I highly recommend them, if only I could remember the name.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
I wear sunglasses (polarized) whenever I am outside or driving, otherwise I end up squinting and getting a headache. I usually have several (If this fits better in another location, feel free to move it, thanks.)
- I have some Serengeti ones from STP that have been fantastic , very nice lens but the frames could be better made. - I purchased some Maui Jim's from Costco and they have great lens and great frames. They do not give me any headaches after prolonged wear. I do wish though they would have a wrap around version because with sweat they slip off easily. The lens you are referring to that change in the light are Photochromatic, and OP calls them OXP. - I purchased some oliver peoples from Sartoriale on ebay and they are completely crap. The frames have their metallic outside chaffing. They were good for the first few months and then just fell apart.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan-
I wear Revos, which have glass polarized lenses. The downside is that they're expensive, at about the same price point as Maui Jim, but the optical quality is much, much better. They tend to be more sporty, so ymmv.

There's some online sunglasses store based in Houston that has lower prices than everyone but is still reputable. I highly recommend them, if only I could remember the name.

Come on Dan, you can't do that. Teasing with bargains is just not fair. You gotta give a name, unless you are shilling for them, in which case
boxing[1].gif

pinchi22

Reaction score
Another vote for Revos. I have the polarized model, which is great. Having been founded by a NASA engineer, their optics have always been first rate. Their styling has probably improved after being bought by the Italians (Luxotica).

Carey

Reaction score
Oliver Peoples?? Never heard of them. How are the optics? Meaning, if you really want to see something when wearing the glasses, do you take them off? I am looking for the kind of polarized glasses where you have to take them off to look at an ATM screen, because they filter out that much reflected light.
They make great stylish frames. You can pick a frame and have the optician craft a pair of polarized glass or polycarbonate for you in a shape of your choosing. I live in the Charlotte, NC area and I bought my Oliver Peoples from a local optician. The advantage over Silhouettes (Maui Jim) or Ray-Ban is fewer people will be wearing your choice. Since I spent over $500 on my glasses, I spent only $150 on my non-Rx sunglasses -- Ray-Ban polarized glass in dark brown with bronze frames.

paper clip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
- I purchased some Maui Jim's from Costco and they have great lens and great frames. They do not give me any headaches after prolonged wear. I do wish though they would have a wrap around version because with sweat they slip off easily.

My wife bought maui jim's from costco as well. I had never heard of them, but I put 'em on and WOW. everything was actually brighter and clearer, but there was no glare. If you are looking for eye protection and clear vision, I would recommend these.

Personally, I have two pair of Bolle purchased from costco - a black sports pair, polarized, which I love, but scratched the plastic lenses. GRRR. I still use them for the beach and sports. Ialso have a pair of dressier plastic lense, metal frame polarized Bolles, which I use for driving and more 'formal' use. They look nice and get the job done, but the vision quality is not as good as my sports pair, or certainly the maui jim's. Not sure if it is the plastic or what. I will try glass next time.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Oliver Peoples?? Never heard of them. How are the optics? Meaning, if you really want to see something when wearing the glasses, do you take them off?

I am looking for the kind of polarized glasses where you have to take them off to look at an ATM screen, because they filter out that much reflected light.

Obsession, there is an Oliver Peoples boutique at the South Coast mall if you are in orange county, California.

It is a high end brand name and the styles and quality looks to be very good.
Very chic and very beautiful looking designs and big and bold.
Price ranges around 250-500 for the ones Ive seen.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Maui Jims to replace a pair of Persols (lost). While I hate the Maui Jim logo (and their cases), I really like these sunglasses. Excellent optics, lightweight part-Ti frames that also have some metal memory so they don't get bent too badly. I like them so much in fact that I bought a pair of Maui Jims with polycarbonate lenses for hunting and shooting.

Also swapped out the horrible Hawaii circa 1973 MJ case with a square black leather Paul Smith case.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Persol 649.
I thihnk that's the first thing I've ever agreed on with you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads