Sunglass brands, Ray Ban, Maui Jim, Reptile

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by new obsession, Sep 26, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I thihnk that's the first thing I've ever agreed on with you.
    I also like these:

[​IMG]

2. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I own a pair of Revos and a pair of Maui Jims, and for me the Revos are optically no better (perhaps worse, in fact) than the Maui Jims.

Maui Jim has great lenses but frames that unfortunately range from boring to fugly. I wear them for my daily use driving sunglasses and they are probably the best I have owned for that purpose.

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Persol 649.
    I like the 2628, still looking for a pair at not-full-price. (Not the grey ones that keep coming up on Ebay.)

4. B-Man

B-Man New Member

I wear Ray Ban, a collection from the 70´s and 80´s. They are the classic kind, don´t stand out too much but have got quite some style.
    And also, they are original and never before worn.

Here´s where I bought them, if you want to have look.

http://vintage-sunglasses-shop.com

5. DMcG

DMcG Senior member

I have a pair of the Maui Jim Titanium Sports that I really like. They are a hingless design and are lightweight so they are very comfortable to wear. They are also available in a different sizes which was very nice for me as most normal sunglasses are too small to fit comfortably or like right on my face. I've never personally had to deal with their customer service but my step-father's Maui Jims were damaged and he said that the service for getting them fixed was great.

6. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Another vote for Revo... I've been using Revo sunglasses exclusively for more than fifteen years, and they're absolutely wonderful! Revo claims to use the same type of lens that is found on the Space Shuttle... but whatever - they're great sunglasses.

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I can highly recommend Revo as well. I've had four or five of them over the years and they are well made and have terrific optics.

8. this_is_james

this_is_james Senior member

If you live near an OP store, you can pick whatever color and coatings you want.

i didn't know that! i recently bought the aero w/ black frames and black lense(although looks more like a bluish grey). if i could choose i'd get a matte silver frame w/ dark grey lens.

9. Dan-

Dan- Well-Known Member

Come on Dan, you can't do that. Teasing with bargains is just not fair. You gotta give a name, unless you are shilling for them, in which case [​IMG]
    Ah ha! I found it. The website is www.framesdirect.com and you can check the Revo website to see that they are an authorized reseller. I paid $179 for a pair of glasses that cost about $250 at sunglasshut. And nearly broke them the first time I wore them sailing, though they did bend back. Oops.

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I wear an exceedingly vulgar-looking pair of Rudy Projects, with mirror lenses.

[​IMG]

I bought these because they are the only cycling glasses I have ever found that are both wrap-around and will take a prescription lens.

At a pinch, I can also unclip the glare screen, and use them as normal prescription glasses.

11. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

all i kno is that
    oliver peoples
    robert marc
    selima optique
    sama
    and chrome hearts
    make reallly really sweet sunglasses

oliver poeples and robert marc being the best quality

12. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

all i kno is that
    oliver peoples
    robert marc
    selima optique
    sama
    and chrome hearts
    make reallly really sweet sunglasses

oliver poeples and robert marc being the best quality

13. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

All I know is that I bought some $100 Raybans about 3 months ago and in direct sunlight I still get a headache wearing them. I like their sleak style, but they are only slightly better than my $10 aviator knock off pair.

I will probably keep them around just for style purposes, but I will have to throw down the $300+ I think for a nicer pair with nicer lenses.

14. new obsession

new obsession Senior member

All I know is that I bought some $100 Raybans about 3 months ago and in direct sunlight I still get a headache wearing them. I like their sleak style, but they are only slightly better than my $10 aviator knock off pair.

I will probably keep them around just for style purposes, but I will have to throw down the $300+ I think for a nicer pair with nicer lenses.

That is my exact problem. Sorry to hear about the headaches, good to know I am not crazy.

15. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Persol
    RayBan are both classic and, IME, of impeccable quality

.. preferable to the fashion brands which put their name on everything and anything