• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

summing up the year

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it is the new year (for me, anyway) and it is a good time to reflect on my situation. strangley enough, my companies fiscal year corresponds with the jewish year, more or less, so I am finishing my spiritual year as well as my fiscal year. things are pretty good

my territories sales are up 13% - frankly, I hadn't even expected to grow at all this year. this year was meant to be a year of preperation for growth for next year. this happened to be the worst year my company has had in almost 20 years, for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with me, so my growth looks even better. this was pure gravy, because now my CEO and CFO who never really believed in me, are now paying attention. my boss is happy, and resources, that have been tight, are now more readily available.

more importantly, the things that I have been putting in place for next year and the year after are going very well. barring anything totally unforseen, sales will grow 50% or more in my territory for the next 3 years. what I do, on a day to day basis, involves planning and managing so that my regional managers can influence my distributors to influence their markets to react in 18-36 months. immidiate feedback is pretty much zero, so I have spent 2 years working on things that may or may not bring in results in the next 3 years. seeing things fall into place and bring in results provides a huge feeling of relief and validation.

my company is moving about 45 minutes away - bad news, but it prompted my boss to tell me that I don't really need to come into work unless I have internal meetings set up. so, I am spending a good chunk of my work week at a coffee shop next to my house. which means that I can take my son to school, pick him up, go to a morning krav class, and have lunch with my wife, and still do all the work that I need to do.

kids are well, my wife is well. I have paid off debts, replentished my retirement fund.

in the past 12 months, I have lost about 80 pounds, and my blood pressure is low, my bad cholesteral is low, my good cholesteral is high. I have taken care of some minor gum desease, and have taken care of a few small dental problems that I neglected.

all in all, maybe the best year ever.

please feel free in joining me in reflecting on your years. it is always a good excersize, to look back and judge what the past 12 months have brought your way.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congratulations! Sounds like you are right where you want to be in life.

This last year hasn't been so hot for me...

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shanna Tovah!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
nice globe. happy for your successes at work and your weight loss. keep it up.

i think ive had a great year as well despite the economic turmoil in this country. new job, new body (weight loss), new dental work done ( me too, neglected past few years), and new denim (japanese)

but the most i can say that i feel blessed for is that my wife and i went through a few fires/difficulties and got alot closer as a couple through prayer and trusting in God.

adamsnez

Reaction score
Cliffs notes basically:

Christmas eve got dumped
January was depressing (and cold! I hate central Canada winters)
February started turning out ok
07-08 school year (year 2 of 3) I finished with a 4.17gpa - awesome
Got a great summer job for my school work term
Reconciled problems with family
Went to BC for vacation for first time ever
Got my boat on the water FINALLY after 3 years of me owning/storing it
Started running long distance and it feels GREAT (runners high, I don't need to lose weight AT ALL)
Plans/steps to make my move to Australia for 6 months next summer after school grad

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only metric I use to gauge whether my year is good or not is my personal over/under --- 4 new chicks I bang a year.

If i do more then its a good year, less then its a bad year, right on the money a push. So far 2008 has been very, very good to me.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
The only metric I use to gauge whether my year is good or not is my personal over/under --- 4 new chicks I bang a year.

If i do more then its a good year, less then its a bad year, right on the money a push. So far 2008 has been very, very good to me.

that is a pretty good, minimalistic system.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
it is the new year (for me, anyway) and it is a good time to reflect on my situation. strangley enough, my companies fiscal year corresponds with the jewish year, more or less, so I am finishing my spiritual year as well as my fiscal year. things are pretty good

my territories sales are up 13% - frankly, I hadn't even expected to grow at all this year. this year was meant to be a year of preperation for growth for next year. this happened to be the worst year my company has had in almost 20 years, for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with me, so my growth looks even better. this was pure gravy, because now my CEO and CFO who never really believed in me, are now paying attention. my boss is happy, and resources, that have been tight, are now more readily available.

more importantly, the things that I have been putting in place for next year and the year after are going very well. barring anything totally unforseen, sales will grow 50% or more in my territory for the next 3 years. what I do, on a day to day basis, involves planning and managing so that my regional managers can influence my distributors to influence their markets to react in 18-36 months. immidiate feedback is pretty much zero, so I have spent 2 years working on things that may or may not bring in results in the next 3 years. seeing things fall into place and bring in results provides a huge feeling of relief and validation.

my company is moving about 45 minutes away - bad news, but it prompted my boss to tell me that I don't really need to come into work unless I have internal meetings set up. so, I am spending a good chunk of my work week at a coffee shop next to my house. which means that I can take my son to school, pick him up, go to a morning krav class, and have lunch with my wife, and still do all the work that I need to do.

kids are well, my wife is well. I have paid off debts, replentished my retirement fund.

in the past 12 months, I have lost about 80 pounds, and my blood pressure is low, my bad cholesteral is low, my good cholesteral is high. I have taken care of some minor gum desease, and have taken care of a few small dental problems that I neglected.

all in all, maybe the best year ever.

please feel free in joining me in reflecting on your years. it is always a good excersize, to look back and judge what the past 12 months have brought your way.

...and partied with Matt several times. Jesus, where are your priorities? In all seriousness Zach, and bearing in mind some of the harder times you have seen in the past couple of years, I find myself really happy to read your post above. Congratulations on the way you have turned it all around mate.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jan and Feb were cold.
March started to pick up. Mostly due to Madonna's single "4 Minutes" coming out.
April was pretty cool.
Did well in school.
Had a great summer.
Managed to kiss a girl.
Now that the year is winding down, I just want to survive it.
Overall, not too bad. Better than 2007 that's for sure.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
...and partied with Matt several times. Jesus, where are your priorities?

In all seriousness Zach, and bearing in mind some of the harder times you have seen in the past couple of years, I find myself really happy to read your post above.

Congratulations on the way you have turned it all around mate.

how did I forget that?

thanks matt, aprectiate the kind thoughts.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good for you. my year has been very strange. lost some "good" friends, graduated from school completely. started working full time for the first time. made some new friends etc. probably one of the strangest years of my life.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Always good to know a fellow's having a good year GT.

Mine, so far:

Workwise, can't complain... the 1st half of the year was record breaking in sales and profit margin. We got hit by the economic slowdown in the 3rd quarter but performance in general is still good and we still enjoy market leadership.

Also got to travel a bit this year. So far went with a bunch of good friends to Macao and Hong Kong. Finally got to watch The Police there. Also had a great time visiting my siblings in the United States. Had a long overdue vacation with the acidicwife in Bangkok too.

The 1st acidickid started school this year and so far is doing great both in academics and in the environment she is now. I'm mighty proud of her. Biggest news is we just had our 2nd acidickid, a cute girl who's almost 5 months now. I'm not really a person who likes kids, but this fatherhood bit has changed my life in so many good ways, and for me its the best motivation to lead a better life and set a good example to the kids.

Oh, and I reignited my love for beer this year. And I'm still smoke-free.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads