• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Summer weight DB blazer vs DB BlazerSuit (TM)

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Track down medtech_expat's photos from Napoli Su Misura. He's got a cracking hopsack.

NewYorkIslander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a white linen DB jacket, but a linen Navy Blazer Suit (TM) would be cool, white MOP buttons...My Hardy DB jacket is also pretty summery, a more open weave.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I didn't know he made a DB hopsack.

I thought he was talked out of making a DB from mohair. Did he choose a hopsack instead?

I've tried on a db with gold buttons that he had made. I'm pretty sure he had photos of it too. The one you quoted was a navy suit.

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of doing a BlazerSuit with this cloth, but think the oatmeal color wouldn't work convincingly for the blazer part:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you guys do 2x2 or 6x2? I think 2x2 is "correct" for a DB blazer with metal buttons, but I'm leaning towards 6x2 with MOP buttons.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Was thinking of doing a BlazerSuit with this cloth, but think the oatmeal color wouldn't work convincingly for the blazer part:

Were you thinking of doing a DB like this?

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were you thinking of doing a DB like this?

Yup - but the cloth is more oatmeal in color than light gray. Not sure if it'll work.

Thoughts?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. Get this. Though medtech_expat is a clothes horse, so YMMV.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Yup - but the cloth is more oatmeal in color than light gray. Not sure if it'll work.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure how to use the oatmeal DB as an oddjacket. I'm generally bad at figuring this out - that's why I'm sticking to blue basics for now. It would be easier to make a cream or tan DB Blazersuit because I can see how to use.

ykurtz

Reaction score
4x2 with MOP or light horn. Don't see a lot of 4x2 out there; it will look distinctive.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know he made a DB hopsack.

I only saw he made this:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...49&postcount=1

I thought he was talked out of making a DB from mohair. Did he choose a hopsack instead?

Happy New Year, gents. Just got into Bali so will try to dig up pics later when I sort out wifi. This DB was done up in a textured Loro Piana fabric suggested by Mina. It's a gorgeous color - a true dark blue - with dark horn brown buttons. Mina will definitely know the fabric as she's had a few requests for it since.

Alliswell almost made off with the coat so I knew I was on the right track.

I also have a mohair in the works, but as it's my first commission in mohair I've gone for a straight up SB 3 roll 2.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My summer blazer (SB 3-roll-2.5) is in a kind of hopsack from Drapers, around 9-10oz. It's quite textured but doesn't look too informal. If DB I would do a 4x4/2 with three patch pockets and horn or MOP buttons. A 6x4 with gold buttons may make you look like the porcine owner of a provincial estate agent at a bad country club.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 45 15.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 91 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 54 18.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 22 7.6%