• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Wedding

jblumb27

Reaction score
I'm getting married in late August, and was wondering about any suggestions about what to wear. Wedding is on Friday night at 7:30 with 9 piece jazz band and cocktail reception to follow, about 350 guests, no wedding party. Can I get away with wearing a white dinner jacket, Black Tux, or should I wear a dark suit. I am planning on going bespoke so I was looking for some imput.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
under these circomstances, I would go with a white dinner jacket. this might be the only good chance in your life to justify buying one. although remember that a black dinner jacket is very flattering.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But that's a good reason not to go with the white dinner jacket. Unless you are very wealthy, why would you waste a bunch of bespoke money on something you'll never wear again?

I say go with a regular tuxedo, or a black suit. You'll get far more use out of either, and you'll look just as appropriate. Indeed, for my money, the contrast between the black tux or black suit and the white wedding dress is far more flattering in pictures than a white dinner jacket would be.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, for my money, the contrast between the black tux or black suit and the white wedding dress is far more flattering in pictures than a white dinner jacket would be.
but I thought brides always wanted their dress to be outshined by the groom's jacket

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A lot of this depends on context-- where is this wedding, what part of the country, and how fancy do you want it to be? Is there a resort flavor to the surroundings?

If you're not going to wear a white DJ ever again, it is an expensive one-time purchase.  Good a time as any to invest in a proper black dinner suit, however.

If you do wear a business suit, eschew black.  Navy blue or Oxford grey, and maybe with a discreet pattern, but no black.

If the setting is unusually informal, or the weather expected to be very hot, perhaps a linen suit?  There was a thread about this on AAAC.  Depending on how you're built and/or colored, a cream-colored linen DB could be quite stunning.

Or, as an alternative, a good navy DB blazer.  White trousers/bucks an option, or just medium grey.

bryce330

Reaction score
If you do wear a business suit,  eschew black.  Navy blue or Oxford grey, and maybe with a discreet pattern, but no black.

If the setting is unusually informal, or the weather expected to be very hot, perhaps a linen suit?  There was a thread about this on AAAC.  Depending on how you're built and/or colored, a cream-colored linen DB could be quite stunning.

Or, as an alternative, a good navy DB blazer.  White trousers/bucks an option, or just medium grey.
A navy blazer with grey trousers?? I don't know many women who would want their grooms dressed like museum security guards.

I agree with johnnynorman's suggestion of a simple tux or black suit.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good, Lord. If he's going to wear a suit -- why Concordia used the words "business suit" I don't know -- make it a sharp black one. This is a wedding, a jazz party -- not a board meeting. If there is an occassion for a black suit, this is it.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What will the bride be wearing?

Remember that ten years from now, nobody will remember what you looked like in person--they will only see the pictures.  Wear something that will not compete with the bride's dress (which usually leaves out the white dinner jacket).  Conversely, if the bride is wearing a white or near-white dress, wearing a black suit or black tuxedo can make it more difficult for the photographer/printer to capture any detail of the groom in an evening setting, due to the broad dynamic range between the dark suit and light dress.  They'll much sooner print the groom as a face atop a black blob than blow out the highlights on a white dress.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a perfect occasion for a beautiful black or midnight blue suit. What is the bride planning to wear? This might make the decision for a suit or tux.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads