• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer wedding suits advice

sbbstyle

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am choosing a suit for my outdoor wedding at daytime in August in south of Orange county, CA. It is expected to be hot and bright at that time so I'm considering a tropical wool light gray suit.

I have narrowed down the size that fits to me and would like to have some advices on the overall fit/style on the following two suits. I will be wearing a white shirt, a burgundy or pink tie, and brown derby.

Here is the first suit from S&S Lazio.

4-E0-BAF37-8-C62-4-B9-E-A6-E4-41-C44-E5-E5-F65.jpg

325-D3842-7156-4-BB8-BF38-EF60-E2769-BC5.jpg

09021-F07-FD93-4-A30-978-F-6-B4-B79824-DB2.jpg

B940-A602-2649-4-E1-E-AE6-F-95-E32240-A24-F.jpg

The second suit is from S&M Contemporary.

7296-ED9-A-3-C5-F-4-F76-8042-614701-E8-BA03.jpg

ABADCA55-AD51-4-A34-A415-6-D290-A3-A3-ED5.jpg

765-FB5-FC-A24-F-4627-A581-B7175-B87-EEC8.jpg

2-DE5-BF27-2-DB7-47-F6-BB71-ADB2278-A0-A74.jpg

I feel the S&S is more slim than the S&M on the waist and the top button location is higher also. Either of the back might need some alternations like take in or let out. I'm not sure if there is one better than the other? Any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you standing naturally in the photos, or do you feel you're standing overly erect and pushing your shoulders back?

schraiber

Reaction score
I prefer the S&M, just because I like the low button stance. Obviously need to shorten the sleeves and hem the pants whichever one you get.

sbbstyle

Reaction score
Are you standing naturally in the photos, or do you feel you're standing overly erect and pushing your shoulders back?

Hi @dieworkwear,
I thought I was standing naturally. The selfie image may not be clear so I recorded a video just now and converted it to the following gif. Thanks.

74-B94-A62-E2-A2-492-E-9-F03-9-FE07-B028-BE4.gif

sbbstyle

Reaction score
I prefer the S&M, just because I like the low button stance. Obviously need to shorten the sleeves and hem the pants whichever one you get.

Hi @schraiber,
Thanks for the advice on S&M. I would also take note of the alternation of the sleeve length and pants.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi @dieworkwear,
I thought I was standing naturally. The selfie image may not be clear so I recorded a video just now and converted it to the following gif. Thanks.

The video gif is useful.

I asked because it looks like the coat is made for someone with a more stooped posture, and you seem to stand with a straighter, more erect posture. This is causing two things

- The upper part of the sleeve is wrinkling because your arms are straighter
- The back of the coat is messy because your shoulders are more pushed back and your posture more erect than the coat was designed for.

Often, when someone takes a photo of themselves, they stand at attention. So when you're taking photos for feedback on a suit, it's always good to make sure your standing in your normal posture. If this is your normal posture, then you will need to get a tailor to clean up the back. I think the sleeves can be rotated to adjust for your natural posture, but it may be an expensive job.

The other thing is that you stand with an erect posture, but also with your hips forward and knees locked. This is causing the fabric at the back of your pants to collapse under the seat. You will want to bring this up with your tailor. In my experience, this usually involves shortening the back rise and letting out the crotch seam to compensate.

The short of it: take this to a good tailor and ee what they can do.

Between the two suits you posted, I prefer the Suitsupply on you, but I think either can work with alterations.

sbbstyle

Reaction score
Hi @dieworkwear,
Thank you a lot for the insights and advices on the fit. I now have the idea about alternation of the suit jacket and pant since it is hard for me to know what causes the issues.

In addition to the fit, I'm debating between these light grays. Suitsupply is warmer gray while the S&M is colder which was unexpected when I compared them from the online images. I wonder if there is any convention or principles about wearing these grays or it depends on preference? Thanks again.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it open bar?
I live in OC, I'd be happy to crash the festivities...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi @dieworkwear,
Thank you a lot for the insights and advices on the fit. I now have the idea about alternation of the suit jacket and pant since it is hard for me to know what causes the issues.

In addition to the fit, I'm debating between these light grays. Suitsupply is warmer gray while the S&M is colder which was unexpected when I compared them from the online images. I wonder if there is any convention or principles about wearing these grays or it depends on preference? Thanks again.

The main thing about color temperature is coordinating the temps in your jacket and trousers. Since a suit is a jacket with matching pants, you don't really have to worry about this. Which shade of grey you choose is just about preference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads