• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Wedding On A Beach Dilema

Remember

Reaction score
This summer I will be attending my close friends wedding. Its taking place on a beach, and the dress attire called for is semi formal. Im wondering if anyone has any reccomendations for me?

Im thinking a nice patterned dress shirt with a semi-slim black tie with a tie-bar. However I have no idea on what to wear for pants/belt/shoes.Heck, even the shirt idea isnt solid yet. Anyone with some advice, id greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

oakdog8

Reaction score
I'd probably go with a linen suit and no tie. You could wear some leather sandals with that and just find a belt that matches. Otherwise you'll have sand in your shoes all night long.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say creme or very light colored suit with white linen shirt and a tie (I'd go blue). But one never knows what people mean by semi-formal these days. What will the groom be wearing?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Isn't 'semi-formal' the standard of dress dictated for all non-prom high school dances? I think it means the same thing as business formal: wear a suit and tie.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Isn't 'semi-formal' the standard of dress dictated for all non-prom high school dances? I think it means the same thing as business formal: wear a suit and tie.

+1 I attended a wedding in Sweden last year and that's how things turned out.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you go with the linen suit remember how easily it crumples, darker colours hide this better, maybe its controversial but I blue linen looks better, I realise the creme linen suit is a classic, but a pale crumpled linen suit just brings to mind geography teachers in the summer, maybe teamed up with some leather sandals and white socks.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why average it out? Try a barbell approach with morning coat and Bermuda shorts.

Remember

Reaction score
hmmm... perhaps semi-formal is the wrong word. I just talked to the bride again, and she wants a very relaxed look. The groom and best men will be in suits. So a full suit would look out of place, and the summer suit with no tie, though it sounds great, is not something i can afford right now.

promoshop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Remember
hmmm... perhaps semi-formal is the wrong word. I just talked to the bride again, and she wants a very relaxed look. The groom and best men will be in suits. So a full suit would look out of place, and the summer suit with no tie, though it sounds great, is not something i can afford right now.

Ya, most likely it's going to be formal wear. I would find out what the groom is wearing and make sure you are wearing a suit that matches. At my best friends wedding we all went to get our suits from the same place so that we all matched.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seersucker jacket, linen trousers/chinos and loafers - no socks - with an open necked shirt underneath, you can always ditch the jacket if you are still too formal.

I think seersucker is pretty damn cool, you hardly ever see it in England so I made a point of buying a jacket last time I was in the US.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^What are you one about? Lol. Try to dress up to look like he is in the wedding party? You want all the guests to match? From my reading it certainly would not seem like he is a groomsman.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a website for weddings called The Knot. It has a section of pics taken at beach weddings. Go there for some examples.

You will see a lot of:

Tan summer suits w/white shirts, with and w/o a tie
White linen shirts (long sleeve) worn with cream colored linen pants or khakis and sandals
Light colored Linen suits with and w/o a tie
Blue blazer, pink or blue shirt, khakis in preppy settings, often with boat shoes

I don't think you can go wrong with nice tan pant and a white linen shirt. If it isn't super hot then add a linen or tan jacket.

My step daughter is getting married in Mexico in May. I am giving her away. I am wearing a navy linen suit, probably no tie, white linen shirt, sandals.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a website for weddings called The Knot. It has a section of pics taken at beach weddings. Go there for some examples.

You will see a lot of:

Tan summer suits w/white shirts, with and w/o a tie
White linen shirts (long sleeve) worn with cream colored linen pants or khakis and sandals
Light colored Linen suits with and w/o a tie
Blue blazer, pink or blue shirt, khakis in preppy settings, often with boat shoes

I don't think you can go wrong with nice tan pant and a white linen shirt.

My step daughter is getting married in Mexico in May. I am giving her away. I am wearing a navy linen suit, probably no tie, white linen shirt, sandals.

Siwash

Reaction score
I think you could find a decent lightweight suit for under $300 on STP or the like, I agree on the seersucker suit or combo with linen... my biggest piece of advice is to wear a hat..I was at an out door wedding late last summer and by the end of the day my forehead looked like a Ferrari ...Panama is your freind..doesn't cost much if you shop around, most of all enjoy and have fun!

braised

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Why average it out? Try a barbell approach with morning coat and Bermuda shorts.

Score 1 for Concordia!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics