• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Wardrobe Advice

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only recently discovered this forum and am looking for some help with assembling a summer wardrobe. I have a few polo shirts, but I am not sure what to do about shorts/shoes. I was going to go with some plain khaki, gray, or navy shorts (I assume black is as unacceptable in the shorts world as it is in the pants world). I am a bit at a loss as to what to do with shoes. I guess boat shoes would be an option, but I just don't think the style is for me. Any other recommendations? I would be wearing these without socks.

Also, are short-sleeve button-down shirts acceptable when paired with shorts or jeans?

Thanks

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did I post this in the wrong forum? If so, please let me know.

I just need help with a few basic questions:
1. Shoes (or sandals) that go well with khaki/navy/gray shorts
2. Are casual short-sleeve button-down shirts acceptable? Or should I stick with polo type shirts?
3. Are black shorts acceptable?

Thanks

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Did I post this in the wrong forum? If so, please let me know.

I just need help with a few basic questions:
1. Shoes (or sandals) that go well with khaki/navy/gray shorts
2. Are casual short-sleeve button-down shirts acceptable? Or should I stick with polo type shirts?
3. Are black shorts acceptable?

Thanks
I am not expert here, there are many, but I will try to be as helpful as possible.

1. A boat shoe or casual loafer should do the trick. There has been some complaints about Sperry here recently so I would check out Sebago. I personally have a pair of brown and a pair of navy boat shoes that I wear frequently throughout the summer. As far as the loafer, a calf-skin in a cognac color is a nice touch. Also, I am not sure how old you are, but I am relatively young and mix a couple of pairs of weejuns in every once in a while.
2. I personally despise short sleeve button-downs, I think it makes the wearer look like middle management. I prefer a long sleeve linen shirt, sometimes rolling up the sleeves.
3. Again, I am not a fan of black shorts. Mix in some nantucket red, green, or yellow, it won't attract the sun and it will make you stand out a little more than the other guy wearing the black or khaki dockers shorts.

Hope this is a good, basic start.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I tend to where linen pants over shorts.

For summer footwear I have some navy Rancourt mocs (on Brooks Brothers site now) and I also own a pair of Quoddy boat shoes.

I don't like Sperry too much. I used to have a pair of Sebago boat shoes but they were extremely stiff and caused blisters in the beginning.

I don't like short sleeved button down shirts, either. I'd rather wear a polo.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the power of well-fitting navy shorts.

hyt123

Reaction score
Quote:
I am not expert here, there are many, but I will try to be as helpful as possible.

1. A boat shoe or casual loafer should do the trick. There has been some complaints about Sperry here recently so I would check out Sebago. I personally have a pair of brown and a pair of navy boat shoes that I wear frequently throughout the summer. As far as the loafer, a calf-skin in a cognac color is a nice touch. Also, I am not sure how old you are, but I am relatively young and mix a couple of pairs of weejuns in every once in a while.
2. I personally despise short sleeve button-downs, I think it makes the wearer look like middle management. I prefer a long sleeve linen shirt, sometimes rolling up the sleeves.
3. Again, I am not a fan of black shorts. Mix in some nantucket red, green, or yellow, it won't attract the sun and it will make you stand out a little more than the other guy wearing the black or khaki dockers shorts.

This is simply an issue of body shape and shirt fit. If you're a balding pudge then a short sleeve button-down with your gut filling out the bottom, the shoulder seams halfway down your upper arms (I was going to say biceps, but, what biceps) and the sleeves somewhere past the elbows isn't going to look good. But if you are somewhere within a stone's throw of being in shape, and the shirt fits, then it's fine.

Agree w/ the black shorts, though.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also can't stand the look of short sleeve shirts. +1 for rolling the sleeves of a linen shirt.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't quite understand the hate on for short sleeve buttoned shirts. For work yes, but for a day outside casual wear or sitting at the pub, there is absolutley nothing wrong with it.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions so far. In terms of the short-sleeve shirt, I am not talking about dress/work shirts here. This would definitely be a summery/casual type of shirt. I will probably just end up with some linen shirts with the sleeves rolled up.

I will just skip the black shorts.

Quote:

I am 35 years old, so I suspect on the younger side of forum members. As for boat shoes, I just don't think I like them for me. So does a casual penny loafer look ok with shorts and no socks?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with tben's response. With the caveat that I never wear shorts unless I'm at the beach or working out, and recommend that all other gentlemen do the same. In particular, definitely avoid black shorts.

So you don't wear a pair of khaki or navy shorts to a summer barbecue or something like that?

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I am 35 years old, so I suspect on the younger side of forum members. As for boat shoes, I just don't think I like them for me. So does a casual penny loafer look ok with shorts and no socks?

I think casual penny loafers with shorts and no socks works well. The aforementioned Rancourt penny loafers are very nice. Another footwear option would be some unlined suede plain toe bluchers. I have a pair of navy suede Alden PTB's that I enjoy wearing in the summer sockless with shorts.

duggyald

Reaction score
Chinos or just navy shorts are great for summer and polos.

aizan

Reaction score
black shorts are acceptable if they complement your coloring, and can be part of a great outfit. for example, add blue suede shoes of some sort (penny loafers, gucci loafers, bucks, etc.) and a pure white linen shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads