• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer suits

bengee

Reaction score
Would like to get a cotton or cotton/poly or poplin suit for this summer in the california wine country.....for under five hundred dollars or so......any ideas? I'll only wear a few times.....just something that's reasonably ok.......was thinkin Haspel or Jack Victor? or , would i be better with a light wool?

color probably an ollve or darker tan.....i'm blondish/light complexion

many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you're willing to consider a cotton/poly blend, Jos. A. Bank has some decent poplin suits that depending on the current sale go for anywhere from around $99 - $149.

No, they're not the greatest poplin suits around, regardless of price. But they're quite good enough, they're very much "summer suits," they're dirt cheap, and they'll suffice for the few times you intend to wear them. JAB has hundreds of stores, a website, and an excellent returns policy if the suit arrives and it's simply unacceptable to you.
--
Michael

Troilus

Reaction score
I did some research earlier this spring on the subject.

STP (Sierra Trading Post) has a good deal for Haspel seersucker for $130, if you used the 30% off coupon code that's on the front page. The Haspel suit is very boxy, however, and I had to have significant alterations on the jacket.

If you're going to spend more than $175-$200, then I would go with Bonobos. The quality strikes me as nicer. Note there's a $50 off coupon for first-time purchasers.

Honestly, there is very little institutional knowledge about cotton suits on SF.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of these are $398 http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatS...Section_Id=419 I have owned summer blend suits. They don't wrinkle as much as 100% cotton. But I like the feel of 100% cotton and will pay a more for it. Plus you can always wear the pants with a polo for a nice, casual look. Most of all, I would shop for what will fit you the best. There are far too many baggy summer suits around. I would suggest shopping for a trimmer cut to look your best. If you are fair skinned, unless you get a suntan, I would suggest the olive colors or at least the deeper tans going towards browns. For variety mix up white, blue and pink solid shirts. Pink is especially nice for summer suits. And don't forget your white linen pocket square
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads