• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer suits that can be worn in the winter?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Some people can easily wear heavier fresco on really hot days. Can you? I know I can't. But I agree with you about fresco's texture. I love those 12 ounce-plus frescos, and really want one, but I can't imagine what I would do with it. One thing is for sure, on a warm day with NO breeze, you are going to suffer.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Some people can easily wear heavier fresco on really hot days. Can you? I know I can't. But I agree with you about fresco's texture. I love those 12 ounce-plus frescos, and really want one, but I can't imagine what I would do with it. One thing is for sure, on a warm day with NO breeze, you are going to suffer.

What about the 8/9 oz. stuff? That's what's caught my interest.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
What about the 8/9 oz. stuff? That's what's caught my interest.

It is great for summer, but it is VERY summery, super light, practically see-through, borderline flimsy, and it lacks the texture of even the 9/10 (which looks almost like a hopsack) much less the heavier stuff.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

That's too bad for you.

I could wear my 13/14 oz. H&S fresco thoughout the summer. It would be different, I guess, if I had to do a lot of brisk walking, or take the train or subway.

Of the things that I have, I would say the Lesser 9.5/10 oz is best at spanning the months without looking bound to one or the other.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Don't forget Fresco's amazingly absorbent qualities.

I'll have the other Carl make up some fresco undies for you. So exclusive that even Kabbaz does not carry them.

- B

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do plan on wearing my 10oz Fresco suits in the winter time, but with over the calf wool socks and a long overcoat. Otherwise that wind will be brutal. I occasionally work events where I'm on my feet the whole time so even in Winter I prefer lighter cloths on those days.

As far as Fresco in the Summer goes, I find they work well except in high humidity as others have mentioned in the past. When I was in Hong Kong this September the humidity was so bad Fresco felt like 16oz Woolen Flannel. When the slightest breeze picked up it was bearable, but if the air is thick and not moving Fresco doesn't work its wonders.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
What??

- B

I don't think Dopey is recommending 30 suits or so, right? Four heavy ones, four light ones, two in between. That's all Foo (or any suit-wearing professional) really needs.

Or was it a joke about 'what'?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen it, but as I recall the Brisa cloth from the London Lounge Cloth Club is some sort of relatively heavy but porous/open weave fresco-like material.

Winot

Reaction score
The Minnis Airborne range weighs in at 6.5-7 oz and has some very sober dark fabrics. It also tailors beautifully, is not the least bit flimsy, and is on its way out and thereore on special offer.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is great for summer, but it is VERY summery, super light, practically see-through, borderline flimsy, and it lacks the texture of even the 9/10 (which looks almost like a hopsack) much less the heavier stuff.

Hmm. So what do you prefer for the summer? Tropical worsteds? I can't see wearing linen to work (maybe I'm wrong about that--hope I am). Mohair?

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Of the things that I have, I would say the Lesser 9.5/10 oz is best at spanning the months without looking bound to one or the other.

I guess I'm being paradoxical here: I want a summer suit that looks and feels like a summer suit but will be visually acceptable in the winter, even if barely so. I'd rather look slightly less appropriate in the winter for a year or two and suffer lots of colds than wind up owning a bunch of multi-season suits.

Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Don't forget Fresco's amazingly absorbent qualities

Thanks, Carl. That helps.

Originally Posted by Slewfoot
As far as Fresco in the Summer goes, I find they work well except in high humidity as others have mentioned in the past. When I was in Hong Kong this September the humidity was so bad Fresco felt like 16oz Woolen Flannel. When the slightest breeze picked up it was bearable, but if the air is thick and not moving Fresco doesn't work its wonders.

So . . . what would work better in high humidity that would also be business appropriate?

Originally Posted by radicaldog
I don't think Dopey is recommending 30 suits or so, right? Four heavy ones, four light ones, two in between. That's all Foo (or any suit-wearing professional) really needs.

Agreed. But I don't want to buy seven or eight suits right now so I'm trying to figure out how I can build toward that goal without winding up with too many in-between suits.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have fresco, mohair, tropical, cotton and linen for summer. I will wear any of them for business, though if I really have to look conservative business dress I reach for the tropical or the fresco.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

So . . . what would work better in high humidity that would also be business appropriate?

I've been trying to figure that one out mysefl! I've heard great things about Scabal Business Class and I have my eye on the traditional Glen Plaid from the that collection, but I can't say how it handles in extreme humid heat. On days like the ones I experienced in Hong Kong, I don't how any suit can feel comfortable. Not even a t-shirt, shorts and sandals would feel nice.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo, I appreciate where you're coming from. I think I could probably handle it with an overcoat. What about Smith's Finmeresco?

This thread does bring up the issue of how to build a wardrobe over time. What order to acquire suits in which fabrics for which seasons, knowing that you'll necessarily have a smaller number of suits to start out.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
This thread does bring up the issue of how to build a wardrobe over time. What order to acquire suits in which fabrics for which seasons, knowing that you'll necessarily have a smaller number of suits to start out.

One of Will's old articles is a good a place to start as any.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads