• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Suits? J.Crew Ludlow jacket Opinions

Nelton

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I am from Wimbledon in the UK and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the quality of j.crew is like as a website over here has just started stocking their stuff and before that its been impossible to get hold of it.

http://www.mrporter.com/product/301855

I really like the look of this jacket and was wondering if I could get any feedback on it, I would ideally buy the trousers too. Could anyone tell me if there are any better alternatives for around £200 or cheaper and also what the fit of their stuff is like. I am a Paul Smith 38 and about a 36 Hugo Boss if that helps.

Cheers Nick

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you do a bit searching around on this forum those Ludlow suits have been discussed a bit before. I mentioned in a thread a few days ago when someone was asking about their khaki cotton version, I am usually fairly easy to fit off the rack and I tried their Ludlow jacket on. For some reason the fit was a bit 'off' to me but it's hard to say exactly why. For one thing it's quite heavy cotton so might not be the light and breezy jacket you have in mind (might not be so much of a problem in England!). Maybe it was super high armholes and/or super narrow sleeves? I'm glad I had the chance to try it on as I wouldn't have been happy if I'd mail ordered it. You might try Banana Republic and Express as I think they both do similar cotton suits. Measure your favourite best-fitting jacket (chest, waist, sleeve, length, shoulders) and see which of the retailers' sizes comes closest to yours. Good luck.

Nelton

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't think it being slightly thick cotton would be an issue as you're right with it being England ha, does crew come up a bit big compared to anything else off the rack you've tried?.

Achilles, do you have any experience with those suits, as returns would be pretty difficult with being based in London and all?

Cheers Nick

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nelton
Thanks, I don't think it being slightly thick cotton would be an issue as you're right with it being England ha, does crew come up a bit big compared to anything else off the rack you've tried?.

Achilles, do you have any experience with those suits, as returns would be pretty difficult with being based in London and all?

Cheers Nick

I do not. There is a thread somewhere on here that talks about them. Some people don't like them, some love them. Must depend on body type
thumbs-up.gif

Chris_AK

Reaction score
I found the banana republic "modern fit" chino suit - not sure about the "tailored" one-button - is much heavier than the jcrew counterpart. I initially went for the BR but the pants were way too roomy through the legs - and I'm far from chicken legs. The chino ludlow seemed to be exactly what I was looking for (lighter, slimmer) - though I had to order online as the store didn't have my size... so I am waiting to make my final judgement. Either way I know I won't go back to the BR. It's worth noting that JCrew also has the more "traditional" Aldridge fit, which may be a better fit for some. But I haven't seen it in person. I'm interested to hear if there are any other alternatives anyone would recommend.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nelton
Really? What's so bad about it
The sleeves were much too long. The fit of the whole thing was strange. YMMV. Something that cannot be ascribed to fit: the lapel was creased in the wrong place and awkward looking on one side. The jacket had an overall feel of inferiority. I believe it was about 50% glue. If you can try one on in the store maybe you can find something you like.... I would be very careful about buying one online.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads