• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Suit around $1000?

AX2007

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a summer suit for about $1000? I can go a little over, but I don't want to blow the budget too much here. I have not resigned myself just yet to Suit Supply, which I don't necessarily have an issue with; unless there is something out there that is much better for the budget.

Any suggestions?

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a summer suit for about $1000? I can go a little over, but I don't want to blow the budget too much here. I have not resigned myself just yet to Suit Supply, which I don't necessarily have an issue with; unless there is something out there that is much better for the budget.

Any suggestions?

At that price point you have quite a few options, including some Brooks Brothers.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just some musings, sort of related to the question posed -

It occurs to me that this is the time of year when summer suits are being blown out of inventory by many retailers. Sort of like buying a parka in March.

Both good and bad to that. The good is that, of course, buying a suit that's been seasonally price reduced gets you "more suit for your money." The downside, is that inventory from which to choose may be a little limited.

Frankly, the whole notion of "summer suit," or suit seasonality in general, is a lot less meaningful today, than it was generations ago. It's not completely gone, of course. It's still decidedly weird to wear heavy tweed on a 90 degree day in August, or to sport seersucker when it's snowing outside. But I'd venture to suggest that the vast majority of suits sold today are essentially of a year 'round variety. Various reasons for this, with perhaps the most significant being the prevalence of climate control in office buildings, restaurants, theaters, cars, etc.

With the exception of a khaki poplin suit and a seersucker suit (both inexpensive items, worn only infrequently, and only for social occasions), I don't think any of my suits could honestly be categorized as "summer suits." And believe me, Baltimore definitely experiences its share - and more - of hot, humid summer weather.

I likely own more "summer shoes," than I do summer suits.

Pictured below, my Allen Edmonds "Hampstead," brown woven wingtip oxfords. Definitely summer shoes. I think AE discontinued this style a while back.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the poster meant a suit appropriate for hot weather, and thus poplin, linen, or the like.

Cheers,

Ac

AX2007

Reaction score

Just some musings, sort of related to the question posed -

It occurs to me that this is the time of year when summer suits are being blown out of inventory by many retailers. Sort of like buying a parka in March.

Both good and bad to that. The good is that, of course, buying a suit that's been seasonally price reduced gets you "more suit for your money." The downside, is that inventory from which to choose may be a little limited.

Frankly, the whole notion of "summer suit," or suit seasonality in general, is a lot less meaningful today, than it was generations ago. It's not completely gone, of course. It's still decidedly weird to wear heavy tweed on a 90 degree day in August, or to sport seersucker when it's snowing outside. But I'd venture to suggest that the vast majority of suits sold today are essentially of a year 'round variety. Various reasons for this, with perhaps the most significant being the prevalence of climate control in office buildings, restaurants, theaters, cars, etc.

With the exception of a khaki poplin suit and a seersucker suit (both inexpensive items, worn only infrequently, and only for social occasions), I don't think any of my suits could honestly be categorized as "summer suits." And believe me, Baltimore definitely experiences its share - and more - of hot, humid summer weather.

I likely own more "summer shoes," than I do summer suits.

Pictured below, my Allen Edmonds "Hampstead," brown woven wingtip oxfords. Definitely summer shoes. I think AE discontinued this style a while back.

I'm assuming that the poster meant a suit appropriate for hot weather, and thus poplin, linen, or the like.

Cheers,

Ac

Precisely. A suit light enough to be appropriate for the warmer months of NYC.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
In that case do check the Brooks Brothers web-site. This is the end of the summer season and they won't be restocking summer suits until next year, so much of this year's crop is on sale. They have a number of linen suits at reduced prices, though at this time of year the sizes are limited. You could get lucky.

Cheers,

Ac

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads