1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Summer Suit around $1000?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AX2007, Aug 4, 2016.

1. AX2007

AX2007 Active Member

Does anyone have a suggestion for a summer suit for about $1000? I can go a little over, but I don't want to blow the budget too much here. I have not resigned myself just yet to Suit Supply, which I don't necessarily have an issue with; unless there is something out there that is much better for the budget.

Any suggestions?

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

3. AX2007

AX2007 Active Member

Totally forgot about Kent Wang. Thanks.

4. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

At that price point you have quite a few options, including some Brooks Brothers.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Just some musings, sort of related to the question posed -

It occurs to me that this is the time of year when summer suits are being blown out of inventory by many retailers. Sort of like buying a parka in March.

Both good and bad to that. The good is that, of course, buying a suit that's been seasonally price reduced gets you "more suit for your money." The downside, is that inventory from which to choose may be a little limited.

Frankly, the whole notion of "summer suit," or suit seasonality in general, is a lot less meaningful today, than it was generations ago. It's not completely gone, of course. It's still decidedly weird to wear heavy tweed on a 90 degree day in August, or to sport seersucker when it's snowing outside. But I'd venture to suggest that the vast majority of suits sold today are essentially of a year 'round variety. Various reasons for this, with perhaps the most significant being the prevalence of climate control in office buildings, restaurants, theaters, cars, etc.

With the exception of a khaki poplin suit and a seersucker suit (both inexpensive items, worn only infrequently, and only for social occasions), I don't think any of my suits could honestly be categorized as "summer suits." And believe me, Baltimore definitely experiences its share - and more - of hot, humid summer weather.

I likely own more "summer shoes," than I do summer suits.

Pictured below, my Allen Edmonds "Hampstead," brown woven wingtip oxfords. Definitely summer shoes. I think AE discontinued this style a while back.

[​IMG]

6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I'm assuming that the poster meant a suit appropriate for hot weather, and thus poplin, linen, or the like.

Cheers,

Ac

7. AX2007

AX2007 Active Member

Precisely. A suit light enough to be appropriate for the warmer months of NYC.

8. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member