• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Style in the deep south?

SVS

Reaction score
I'm spending the summer just outside of Baton Rouge and New Orleans and need some southern clothing. Are seersucker suits and white bucs really common? What do I need?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
redneck1.jpg

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SVS
I'm spending the summer just outside of Baton Rouge and New Orleans and need some southern clothing. Are seersucker suits and white bucs really common? What do I need?

If you are among the gentry then they are not uncommon. Cotton suits, pastel colors, great classic American preppiness with a Southern twist.

BBC

Reaction score
seersucker/pincord suit
tan tropical wool suit
hopsack blazer
white/dirty bucks
needlepoint belt with favorite motif
pastel polos, preferably from a Southern maker like Southern Tide, Southern Proper, etc.
madras shirts - long-sleeve with sleeves rolled
patch madras shorts
spectators, if you run in that direction
burgundy penny loafers

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the banjo...

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
Down here in South Carolina, seersucker suits with a bow-tie are decently common. I'd suggest that or a nice cream (possibly linen) suit with some brown loafers. Like BBC said, brands like Southern Tide, in addition to Vineyard Vines are a pretty popular source for bright pique polos. With that, probably a pair of embroidered shorts and some Sperry Topsiders sans socks, of course.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
redneck1.jpg

That's the redneck equivalent of a Royal wedding... Love the heavily pregnant smoking bride...

Troilus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SVS

Is this for work? If you're in a profession where a suit is expected work attire (e.g. lawyer), then cotton and linen are your friends. White bucks are not necessary; light brown works fine (in fact, I can't recall seeing someone at work sport white shoes with a 'sucker).

dk_ace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SVS

Are seersucker and white shoes common? Absolutely not. If you want to wear them fine, but if you're doing it to fit in or just not stand out - forget about it.

Cotton or linen would be fine as long as you stay with neutral colors (tan, khaki, light grays, etc). High super # wools work too.

White shoes? Not a good idea IMO unless you want to stand out loudly.

The bottom line about the south in the summer is that it's hot and humid no matter what you wear. You won't escape that.

D

courty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dk_ace
Are seersucker and white shoes common? Absolutely not. If you want to wear them fine, but if you're doing it to fit in or just not stand out - forget about it.

Cotton or linen would be fine as long as you stay with neutral colors (tan, khaki, light grays, etc). High super # wools work too.

White shoes? Not a good idea IMO unless you want to stand out loudly.

The bottom line about the south in the summer is that it's hot and humid no matter what you wear. You won't escape that.

D

I disagree somewhat. Seersucker is pretty common in south Louisiana. I would wear it anywhere. White bucks are fairly popular in New Orleans; less popular outside New Orleans.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White Hoods catch the breeze.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/brown/...***-robe-l.jpg

SVS

Reaction score
I'm can wear whatever I like to office. I'm just trying to fit in at the garden parties the southern ladies would like me to attend. Also, this seems like a good chance to play with a little different style.
Originally Posted by BBC
seersucker/pincord suit tan tropical wool suit hopsack blazer white/dirty bucks needlepoint belt with favorite motif pastel polos, preferably from a Southern maker like Southern Tide, Southern Proper, etc. madras shirts - long-sleeve with sleeves rolled patch madras shorts spectators, if you run in that direction burgundy penny loafers
Nice list. Picking up a few of these should keep me busy for a while. (I should have kept my specs.)

john johnson

Reaction score
This is my first summer in Atlanta that I need to dress up to go to work. Our business grew and we went from wearing shorts and t shirts in our office downtown to dressing up for our office in Dunwoody. Sine it has just started getting hot I am now having to go out and build an appropriate wardrobe from scratch. I would definitely like to see this conversation about Southern Style continue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads