• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Sportcoat

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i think i have seen a H&S book this some great summer weight sport coat fabrics some are i mixute of linen silk and cotton!

what weight are you looking for? is you can live with 12oz then the hardys worsted alsport's i think are quite nice! also their rivera range too
http://www.hfw-huddersfield.co.uk/ha...seco=H?cate=P?

but you will never quite beat the vintage tweeds you have been getting of late.

nioh

Reaction score
Definitely an unstructured coat made of a linen blend, perhaps silk/linen? If you want to keep it somewhat earthy in colour but still bit unusual get it in a slate grey or steel blue. If not, royal blue linen would be absolutely wicked.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen.

Higher quality linen jacket don't wrinkle that much if at all. I love off white/cream also a green or the standard blue's work great. Love the Linen sportcoat for summer.

I currently have a brown/tan, a navy and an off white linen sportcoat and they can practically be worn from jeans to casual pants.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
How about a cotton duck?
Excellent idea.
clap.gif

A lightweight wool barathea is wonderful, too.

bslo

Reaction score
I live in Florida and have a powder blue Borrelli sports coat that is 100% linen. I also have a royal blue 100% linen sports coat. I like both, but they do wrinkle a lot. I prefer my 35% silk, 30% wook, 35% linen sports coat. It looks like it is has some linen in it, but it doesn't wrinkle nearly as much.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
14 ounce Irish linen, unlined. I'm not sure what he has, but the W. Bill and the H&S stuff is great, perhaps even made by the same maker.

14 ounce linen is king. It performs marvelously. I have a suit of it that gets little wear back here. It's a spring weight here, but the suit is a summer color.
frown.gif
But for you, it should be perfect.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen, like everyone else says is a great choice (who cares about the wrinkling). Instead of the bright, cool colors everyone is suggesting, I see you in a tan/beige linen (like the first Rubinacci tweed sports jacket you posted). I think the tan/beige in a warmer shade, looks more trad in comparison to the brighter, cool colors.

Another good choice might be a very light weight cashmere. It should be cool enough for the Northern CA summer, but still warm enough to wear more seasons. Also, you will have much more color, pattern to choose from in comparison to pure linen.

Maybe try either with no lining and see how it goes? (Plus we want to see too
bounce2.gif
)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Linen, like everyone else says is a great choice (who cares about the wrinkling). Instead of the bright, cool colors everyone is suggesting, I see you in a tan/beige linen (like the first Rubinacci tweed sports jacket you posted). I think the tan/beige in a warmer shade, looks more trad in comparison to the brighter, cool colors.

Another good choice might be a very light weight cashmere. It should be cool enough for the Northern CA summer, but still warm enough to wear more seasons. Also, you will have much more color, pattern to choose from in comparison to pure linen.

Maybe try either with no lining and see how it goes? (Plus we want to see too
bounce2.gif
)

I have unlined things from Rubinacci if you are dying to see them
wink.gif
. I am mixed about lighweight cashmere. I think that it feels neat, but also know that there are issues with it and that Mariano just hates the stuff. I wonder if he has any good patterened linens. I have one from him that is a woven tweed linen, but it is pretty unusual and I haven't seen too much else similar.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I have unlined things from Rubinacci if you are dying to see them
wink.gif
. I am mixed about lighweight cashmere. I think that it feels neat, but also know that there are issues with it and that Mariano just hates the stuff. I wonder if he has any good patterened linens. I have one from him that is a woven tweed linen, but it is pretty unusual and I haven't seen too much else similar.

OK. It doesn`t have to be unlined. It was just an excuse to try to get you to post more Rubinacci stuff.
laugh.gif

If he doesn`t like cashmere, what does Mr. Rubinacci like for summer weight materials, besides linen? He doesn`t seem much like a silk, bamboo, etc. fan.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
OK. It doesn`t have to be unlined. It was just an excuse to try to get you to post more Rubinacci stuff.
laugh.gif

If he doesn`t like cashmere, what does Mr. Rubinacci like for summer weight materials, besides linen? He doesn`t seem much like a silk, bamboo, etc. fan.

No, I do everything for summer unlined. It definitely will be. I asked him once and he said for summer there is really linen and linen. I think he likes some silks too, but mainly linen.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
No, I do everything for summer unlined. It definitely will be.

I asked him once and he said for summer there is really linen and linen. I think he likes some silks too, but mainly linen.

He would say that since he's in southern Italy. You might remind him you live in the bay area.

I was serious about the linen/cashmere blend. It's certainly heavier that what most would consider to be summer weight but I think it's a good combo for S.F.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by untilted
what about this?

x_breton_red.jpg

Made by Southwick, can be had here:

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/spo...ing_summer.php

Exactly what I am looking for!
I have only one linen jacket, a Loro Piana linen&cotton blend I got last year, light blue with white pinstripes (and yes, I do feel comfortable with this striped odd jacket, and I do not think that it looks too much like an orphaned suit jacket...). And I was actually thinking that this kind of salmon coloured stuff would be my next choice for a summer jacket. It kind of "complements" the striped blue one I have.
Unfortunately, I have already exceeded my summer clothing expenditure limit for this year, so it will have to wait for next summer.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm still filling out my basics this year, but next year will be the year of the spring/summer sportcoats and I can't wait because I just love the colors. A year ago my tailor had a beautiful Scabal mint green silk/wool jacket with a pink windowpane on display. I also saw a brioni with a very light blue herribone, again silk/wool, that was really beautiful. Scabal has tons of awesome stuff for spring in their books. You should definitely choose a spring/summer color as the main color of the jacket imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads