• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

summer night wedding attire?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't over-think it. According to your first post, it says light colored suits RECOMMENDED. Assuming you're not in some socially elite circle, no one expects you to buy a new suit if you already have a perfectly acceptable suit. If you already own a navy suit you will be fine wearing it. If you do decide to wear it, a white shirt and dark brown shoes are fine. No need to buy a new suit or new shoes based on what you've posted.

If you didn't have a navy suit or had both navy and a light colored suit, that would be different. I can pretty much guarantee you that if there are 20 men at the wedding at least 7 of them won't be wearing a light colored suit (assuming again that this isn't a socially elite party with participants who have a closet of a dozen suits).

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't over-think it. According to your first post, it says light colored suits RECOMMENDED. Assuming you're not in some socially elite circle, no one expects you to buy a new suit if you already have a perfectly acceptable suit. If you already own a navy suit you will be fine wearing it. If you do decide to wear it, a white shirt and dark brown shoes are fine. No need to buy a new suit or new shoes based on what you've posted.

If you didn't have a navy suit or had both navy and a light colored suit, that would be different. I can pretty much guarantee you that if there are 20 men at the wedding at least 7 of them won't be wearing a light colored suit (assuming again that this isn't a socially elite party with participants who have a closet of a dozen suits).

"Recommended" is weird anyway. Doubt its socially elite.

Preferred or Requested maybe. If someone puts one of those I might actually try to meet it. Recommended sounds like an admonition.

Wear your navy suit!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically wedding dress codes will specify formal (black or white tie) or informal (business suits). It’s unusual and arguably unreasonable to dictate a tonal range for guests who aren’t in the wedding party. For that reason I would unleash my inner rebel and go with the navy suit. I would wear medium brown shoes which break up the office look, and a white pocket square in a sprezzy pouf which will also look fun and summery. Grab a flower in the garden and stick it in your lapel button hole, which no other guy will think of. You’ll be made in the shade.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typically wedding dress codes will specify formal (black or white tie) or informal (business suits). It’s unusual and arguably unreasonable to dictate a tonal range for guests who aren’t in the wedding party. For that reason I would unleash my inner rebel and go with the navy suit. I would wear medium brown shoes which break up the office look, and a white pocket square in a sprezzy pouf which will also look fun and summery. Grab a flower in the garden and stick it in your lapel button hole, which no other guy will think of. You’ll be made in the shade.

I don’t know you but I love you!
I can’t stand weddings exactly for that reason. I’m older now and don’t really go to them, but 10-20 years ago, I did and slowly stopped going. Ridiculous dress codes (We’re having a Gatsby themed wedding!) as well as crappy destinations turned me off.

Bacharini

Reaction score
20% off suits at Spier and Mackay right now. You can get one (light gray for example) for under $200. Ridic value imo

milktoast

Reaction score
Much appreciated @johng70, @ValidusLA, and @maxalex.
Seems like playing down the formality of the navy suit (with something like a pocket square) is an interesting approach and maybe the way to go since it's one of the cheaper (and smarter!) routes. Now the hunt begins for a decent pocket square and to learn more about them; pleading ignorance here since it's not something I've ever worn. I'll be sure to take my allergy meds that day so the flower attempt doesn't backfire on me.

@Bacharini briefly considered it! But the more attractive lighter suits are sold out in my size.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated @johng70, @ValidusLA, and @maxalex.
Seems like playing down the formality of the navy suit (with something like a pocket square) is an interesting approach and maybe the way to go since it's one of the cheaper (and smarter!) routes. Now the hunt begins for a decent pocket square and to learn more about them; pleading ignorance here since it's not something I've ever worn. I'll be sure to take my allergy meds that day so the flower attempt doesn't backfire on me.

@Bacharini briefly considered it! But the more attractive lighter suits are sold out in my size.

Can't go wrong with a nicely folded white linen pocket square, of which there are many vendors. Shibumi Firenze, who is a forum affiliate, makes some I like. They also have some that are border edged.

If you want insane pocket squares I can lead you down that rabbit hole, but I'm an outsider on those compared to most of the forum.

milktoast

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a nicely folded white linen pocket square, of which there are many vendors. Shibumi Firenze, who is a forum affiliate, makes some I like. They also have some that are border edged.

If you want insane pocket squares I can lead you down that rabbit hole, but I'm an outsider on those compared to most of the forum.
For some reason, white/green is calling me. I shall continue the hunt though. Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics