• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

summer night wedding attire?

milktoast

Reaction score
‘ello gents. Hope you’re all well.
I have a wedding to attend in june for which the invite notes that Cocktail/Garden Attire and light colored suits are recommended for men. However, since the wedding is at night, I’m not sure that a light suit makes sense. Would I be in the wrong for wearing a navy suit to the occasion? Thinking white shirt and darker brown shoes as well. Just not trying to rush to buy a new suit for this occasion, but any insight would be useful.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can't speak on whether you should buy a new garment. But if it were me, I would follow the invitation's instructions, even if I thought they were "incorrect." I agree that an evening event should have dark colors. But I would follow the invitation's instructions, as I would be a guest.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thinking white shirt and darker brown shoes as well.

white shirt demands black shoes also, especially at night

sinatra says.png

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
‘ello gents. Hope you’re all well.
I have a wedding to attend in june for which the invite notes that Cocktail/Garden Attire and light colored suits are recommended for men. However, since the wedding is at night, I’m not sure that a light suit makes sense. Would I be in the wrong for wearing a navy suit to the occasion? Thinking white shirt and darker brown shoes as well. Just not trying to rush to buy a new suit for this occasion, but any insight would be useful.

the invite indicates what they’re looking for and what they expect. Don’t over think it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing brown after dark, or “brown in town”. Unless it’s an event that specifies otherwise or unless you’re the Duke of Gloucester with a London townhouse and a country home somewhere, don’t worry about it.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
white shirt demands black shoes also, especially at night

so ... I'm picturing a tan summer suit and a white shirt ... and you'd wear black shoes with that?
you have to be able to put these 'rules' into context.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
idkm

e6661c689ec620ffd30b191e1b3e599117df6fa1.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, I’m not sure anyone has seen Michael Anton on TV lately but he’s dressing like ****. B

more to the point though, I get that for some with an as yet undeveloped sense of their own style they would want to defer to the iGent community, but once one has figured it out for himself and feels comfortable with it, then those rules become reference points and not strict dress codes. Of course, their are still situations, as in the professions, when a strict dress code is observed as well as for occasions (invite says formal or black tie, then no, you don’t wear brown shoes with a tuxedo).

milktoast

Reaction score
Appreciation the direction @dieworkwear @Adsky Luck @breakaway01, and @Phileas Fogg

Since a full navy suit now seems to be out as a possibility, I'm mulling whether a navy blazer and lighter dress trousers (cream/khaki) would be appropriate for the occasion. Again, I'm just trying to avoid the expense of buying a new suit here, though it looks like that may be the endgame.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy blazer and slacks as you’ve described are fine. You’re a guest, not part of the wedding party. Don’t feel the pressure to buy something you may not really need right now.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Appreciation the direction @dieworkwear @Adsky Luck @breakaway01, and @Phileas Fogg

Since a full navy suit now seems to be out as a possibility, I'm mulling whether a navy blazer and lighter dress trousers (cream/khaki) would be appropriate for the occasion. Again, I'm just trying to avoid the expense of buying a new suit here, though it looks like that may be the endgame.

I think dress rules now are pretty lax across the board. I've seen people wear chinos to a funeral. Unless you're of a certain social class, I think most events are semi-lax.

If you don't want to spring for a new suit, I don't think anyone would fault you. If you already want to get a light-colored suit, this would be a good excuse to get one.

Between a navy suit and a sport coat for a wedding, I would do a navy suit, even if it breaks the invitation's instructions. If you don't mind springing for a new suit, however, then I would just get a light colored suit. FWIW, you can get a decent suit nowadays for like $500. Spier & Mackay is pretty affordable.

milktoast

Reaction score
I think dress rules now are pretty lax across the board. I've seen people wear chinos to a funeral. Unless you're of a certain social class, I think most events are semi-lax.

If you don't want to spring for a new suit, I don't think anyone would fault you. If you already want to get a light-colored suit, this would be a good excuse to get one.

Between a navy suit and a sport coat for a wedding, I would do a navy suit, even if it breaks the invitation's instructions. If you don't mind springing for a new suit, however, then I would just get a light colored suit. FWIW, you can get a decent suit nowadays for like $500. Spier & Mackay is pretty affordable.
Agreed re: more lax rules these days. Not sure that I agree with the principle of wearing chinos to a funeral, but that's a whole other situation. The crowd for this wedding will lean younger (millennial), so I know have some leeway in my choices.

Still, I'd just like to ensure that my outfit is refined, without calling too much unwanted attention during or after the event. As you can see, I'd also like to avoid hurting my pockets too much at the moment since money's been tied up with other obligations as of late.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed re: more lax rules these days. Not sure that I agree with the principle of wearing chinos to a funeral, but that's a whole other situation. The crowd for this wedding will lean younger (millennial), so I know have some leeway in my choices.

Still, I'd just like to ensure that my outfit is refined, without calling too much unwanted attention during or after the event. As you can see, I'd also like to avoid hurting my pockets too much at the moment since money's been tied up with other obligations as of late.

Yes, I don't agree with wearing chinos to a funeral either. Just saying that it happens and you're unlikely to be the only person at this wedding who didn't follow the instructions.

I think a wedding calls for a special outfit, and that typically means a suit. Between a dark suit and a sport coat, I would err on the side of formality, just to show that you find the occasion to be special.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at a funeral recently sitting a row behind a guy that went sock-less with his suit...
I silently shamed him.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Choice of shoes and shirt depends on the entire outfit, not their relationship to each other. You can wear a white shirt with brown shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads