• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer loafers: with or without socks?

Summer loafers: with or without socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The energy in this thread

479.jpeg

Sam H

Reaction score
I don’t understand the abject hatred and disgust people have for no socks with loafers and the idea that leather loafers without socks with casual outfits turn women off is also silly. The former is subjective but it seems melodramatic to be grossed out by male shin. “Oh heavens I fainted because a man showed his unsocked ankle which in the Victorian era was akin to showing his underwear!” And then the latter is just nonsense objectively, at least from my experience.

Thun242

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Socks everytime, but I never wear loafers, only chelsea boots, combat boots and western boots, no matter if it's summer or winter. But it's because I'm a musician, and I always wear anything close to goth, glam, and military.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand the abject hatred and disgust people have for no socks with loafers and the idea that leather loafers without socks with casual outfits turn women off is also silly. The former is subjective but it seems melodramatic to be grossed out by male shin. “Oh heavens I fainted because a man showed his unsocked ankle which in the Victorian era was akin to showing his underwear!” And then the latter is just nonsense objectively, at least from my experience.
I don’t have hatred or disgust for people who do not wear socks with loafers, I simply do not find my ankles comely. In fact, I find them far from comely.

In contrast, I greatly admire women’s ankles, particularly comely women’s ankles.

As Voltaire put it so well: “I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to wear sockless loafers”.

And Voltaire was strongly pro-hosiery.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't lie, being a heterosexual male with a libido, that the primary motivating factor in essentially everything I do is to get laid.
I too often don't realize how lucky I am to be a gay male with a spouse who doesn't know the word "no". Yes, TMI ... I'll stop.

Last time I saw men wearing loafers without socks was in 2019 at a sporting event in Santa Barbara. 2020 and the first few months of this year were pretty much lost COVID. What I'm recalling is that there were a lot of nice looking ankles (well, from my point of view) up in the grand stands. I on the other hand was wearing loafers with socks.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
... because we see scores of women going sockless every day. Not so many men.
So much depends upon where one has spent his years. For example, I don't often see it in New York, New York ... but in the Hamptons over the summer ... it's very common.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too often don't realize how lucky I am to be a gay male with a spouse who doesn't know the word "no". Yes, TMI ... I'll stop.

Last time I saw men wearing loafers without socks was in 2019 at a sporting event in Santa Barbara. 2020 and the first few months of this year were pretty much lost COVID. What I'm recalling is that there were a lot of nice looking ankles (well, from my point of view) up in the grand stands. I on the other hand was wearing loafers with socks.

No more TMI than other posters telling us they're hetero and motivated by getting laid. Everyone does their own thing.

Also, happy Pride Month!

rjc149

Reaction score

The only TMI we’re concerned with here are what your ankles look like.

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

pwbower

Reaction score
So much depends upon where one has spend his years. For example, I don't often see it in New York, New York ... but in the Hamptons over the summer ... it's very common.
Agreed — I'm in Brooklyn, and among those who would wear loafers, you tend to see socks. But was just out in Montauk last weekend. Lots of ankle baring, me included.

I feel like the southern prepster types don't wear socks, right?

Reactions: RSS

volcanotristate

Reaction score
Agreed — I'm in Brooklyn, and among those who would wear loafers, you tend to see socks. But was just out in Montauk last weekend. Lots of ankle baring, me included.

I feel like the southern prepster types don't wear socks, right?
No socks for me in Queens, no socks North Shore either . I am southern by birth, and went to prep schools(4 in 5 years ?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads