• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Summer Loafers: Help a Guy Out

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gents,

Looking to upgrade from my old topsiders this summer and am really into the idea of a tan penny loafer. The obvious choice would be the Alden Leisure Handsewn in Burnished Tan, but I can't throw down $500 on a pair of loafers right now, and finding them on Ebay in a 6.5D (I'm a true 7D) has not been easy. None of the AE offerings fit, sadly.

From what I can tell right now, my choices are some Bass Logans in Tan (though these are darker than I would like) or to wait for the BB Spring sale for these (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=524&Product_Id=1518590&Parent_Id=522&default_color=BLACK&sort_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#). Any other suggestions or brands I am missing? And for the love of God no beef rolls.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. That's an excellent option, especially if they will make to my specifications. Has anyone ever seen Plainsman Chromexcel in person? Is it more tan or brown?

xMaximex

Reaction score

Wow. That's an excellent option, especially if they will make to my specifications. Has anyone ever seen Plainsman Chromexcel in person? Is it more tan or brown?

I was wondering if the Plainsman CXL was the same as Natural Chromexcel seen on Leffot : http://blog.leffot.com/2011/05/26/heres-the-beef/

Looks like the same color to me, but I have not seen them in person. Might buy them soon though!

Last edited:

reidrothchild

Reaction score
If AE doesn't work for you, then I doubt those BB loafers you linked to will work either. Pretty sure those are just AE's Presidio loafer made for BB.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. Good eye. I think Rancourt is the way to go. Sub-$300 for Made in the USA loafers that I can have customized to my specifications? Sounds like a great option to me.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From what I can tell right now, my choices are some Bass Logans in Tan
I have a pair of Bass Leavitts, which are pretty much identical to the Logans. They're not particularly good quality shoes. I bought mine at the Bass outlet store, on sale and with a coupon, for around $38. For that price - and given that I wear a 13 EEE, which isn't always easy to find - I'm satisfied. Just don't go comparing them to Aldens, or you'll wind up very disappointed. I wear mine pretty much how it sounds like you plan to wear yours - as sort of a substitute for my Sperry Makos.

But hey, Bass penny loafers are traditional (even if they're not the shoes they once were), and given the price they're all but disposable. They serve a purpose, you know?

AE makes/made a TON of different varieties of loafers. Seriously, none of them fit you? I mean, if you say so, I'll take your word for it, but it's just unfortunate, since AE would be the logical choice in a pair of good quality pennies in the sub-Alden price range. And granted, 6.5D or 7D may not be the most common size, but it can't be all that remarkably rare.
--
Michael

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quoddy / Yuketen make a few pairs and are USA made as well. You can customize Quoddy. Yuketen come in shell as well

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 48 16.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 103 34.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 89 30.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%