• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Linen Suit - Pocket Options

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
I had recently pulled the trigger on a 2-piece linen suit (Mersolair), and I was hoping to canvass some opinions from the collective wisdom of the forum on what type of hip pockets I should opt for.

Current thinking is for the suit to be used for business and casual wear (as separates), hence I am torn as to what kind of pockets would be most versatile. I am thinking hacking pockets would give it a more formal edge, as opposed to patch pockets, but I would be keen to hear people's thoughts. And I am not keen on the standard straight flapped pockets as an option because I find them too ordinary.

For what it's worth, the jacket will be a fully unlined, single-breasted in a 3-roll-2 configuration and with a notch lapel.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hacking on linen = blech.

Do patch. It's fine for business. The suit is going to look schlumpy and wrinkled anyway. May as well stay in keeping with its casual air.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
At the risk of over-succumbing to SF groupthink, I really think 3 patch is the way to go for a linen suit. I strongly dislike hacking pockets, especially since their original purpose (horseback riding) is obsolete, and today totally contextually conflated (e.g. your comment re: formality).

I realize this may not be great for business purposes, but a linen suit is a little casual for business purposes anyways. In a business environment where people would care, a linen suit would be out of the question to begin with. But in a business environment where people don't care, what's the difference between welted pockets and patch?

wmb

Reaction score
I personally dislike hacking on anything -- even if mounted on a horse.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may anger the purists, but I would go with side patch pockets but leave the handkerchief pocket standard welt. Having a handkerchief patch pocket can look great, but it looks extremely casual and draws a lot of attention to itself. If done poorly it can also look costumey, as though you've stumbled into the 1920s.

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Thanks for the swift replies. I should have clarified that this will be a suit to be used in the Singaporean business environment.

For those who are familiar with such, suits are not even commonplace in Singapore given the climate, so it's safe to say I would be 'in a business environment where people don't care' (as per Douglas' comment above). And suffice to say, I am going with the welted breast pocket, so it's not going to be a 3-patch pocket design.

On that basis, I am guessing the consensus is patch pockets for the hip. Any further suggestions on these pockets? Normal? Curved? Welted? Would the Cifonelli designs be too aggressive?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_sartorialist

On that basis, I am guessing the consensus is patch pockets for the hip. Any further suggestions on these pockets? Normal? Curved? Welted? Would the Cifonelli designs be too aggressive?

What are welted patch pockets ?

Regarding your q, either 2 patch or 3 patch but make sure you get the right shape for the breast patch

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the_sartorialist
I had recently pulled the trigger on a 2-piece linen suit (Mersolair), and I was hoping to canvass some opinions from the collective wisdom of the forum on what type of hip pockets I should opt for.

Current thinking is for the suit to be used for business and casual wear (as separates), hence I am torn as to what kind of pockets would be most versatile. I am thinking hacking pockets would give it a more formal edge, as opposed to patch pockets, but I would be keen to hear people's thoughts. And I am not keen on the standard straight flapped pockets as an option because I find them too ordinary.

For what it's worth, the jacket will be a fully unlined, single-breasted in a 3-roll-2 configuration and with a notch lapel.

Nobody will notice. Go with what you want.

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Except for the colour, I imagine it would look something like this (picture courtesy of Peter Chong who had the jacket made up in the same Mersolair fabric):

linen1.jpg

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
What are welted patch pockets ?

Regarding your q, either 2 patch or 3 patch but make sure you get the right shape for the breast patch

Apologies, should have been clearer. This is what I mean by welted patch pockets, i.e. there's a welt at the top of the pocket. Think I am still leaning towards a 'normal' welted breast pocket though.

4200417499_a424fb09f3_o.jpg

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Dont like the Cifonelli. The one above yours is very nice

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Dont like the Cifonelli. The one above yours is very nice

I'm with you - I think Peter Chong's suit above is a very classic design with the patch pockets and welted breast pocket.

And I thought I'd throw the Cifonelli options out there, just to see what people's thoughts were, but my guess is that the design is a bit aggressive, and rightly so.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
This may anger the purists, but I would go with side patch pockets but leave the handkerchief pocket standard welt. Having a handkerchief patch pocket can look great, but it looks extremely casual and draws a lot of attention to itself. If done poorly it can also look costumey, as though you've stumbled into the 1920s.

+1

and 3 roll 2.5

D Yizz

Reaction score
47ebcfc2.jpg
This is the jacket of a suit I picked at Zara. Patch side pockets and regular chest pocket. Looks good as separate as well as with the matching pant. It's very light and comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads