• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer job clothing, Jantzen

raley

Reaction score
Interested in hearing the results from this as I am in the same exact business casual situation for this summer. I have 3 pairs of khakis and 2 pairs of wool pants. I think I am alright in the pants department, although I may want to add a few more pair of wool pants (one is navy and one is charcoal).

I think I need a few more shirts though. I have 1 lavender shirt with a spread collar, 1 blue and white striped shirt with a spread collar, 1 blue/white/green striped shirt with a button down collar, 1 red/white/blue checked shirt with a button down collar, 1 plain white shirt with french cuffs in a spread collar. I have one shirt on order from Jantzen, but that probably won't make it here for another month or so. I think I might try Ian at www.shopthefinest.com and Stu from www.virtualclotheshorse.com for a few more shirts before I start working next week.

As far as shoes, I have a pair of dainite-soled Polo brown suede chukkas, and a pair of brown Grenson cap toes from the first sale. I also have a pair of Loake black chelsea boots. I think I want to add another pair as well, I am trying to think about what to do here. I might check out the polo sale and see if I can add the Darltons to my wardrobe, or I might order a pair from Seok MTM (although this might take a bit too long), or I might try Stu again for a pair of the Certos that he has in brown suede (monk straps) or brown leather. I am also considering the Loake brown wingtips.

kdsvs

Reaction score
You should probably have a dark blazer/sportcoat, which will come in handy for client meetings, etc.

For shirts, I would get as many good quality, well-fitting shirts as your budget allows. Having more shirts gives you more flexibility in your laundry schedule. Stick with light colours. Stripes and checks are fine also. I don't see the point in getting button-down collar - that just make it less versatile.

French cuff shirts worn without a blazer might be considered flashy for business casual. I think they're great with blazers or suits, but they're probably not the best choice for strictly business casual environments.

For pants, I think wool trousers look so much better and are more versatile than khakis. I think you need minimum 3 pants to rotate if you're wearing them for work every day.

In general, if you know you'll be working in at least a business casual environment for the forseeable future, it never hurts to purchase a few more shirts and pants.

maverick

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for that. Just to clarify, when I said "double-button cuffs," I really mean two button single cuffs.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maverick,

Congrats on the consulting job. That's a tough internship to score as an undergrad.

I would not count on Jantzen to have your stuff ready before you start work this summer. You might think about looking elsewhere. Here's my two cents:

Shirts: Stick to white and blue patterns. Depending on your complection, I'd go with an off-white or cream color for your plain shirts instead of white. Stripes and checks are fine.
Personally, I think button-downs look much better for business casual. There's just something a little too metro or greasy-european looking about a point collar worn without a tie. My grand daddy would have said "you look like a lounge lizzard, son." Still, you wont be at all out of place with point and semispread colars.

Pants: 3 or 4 pair, each in a different shade of gray. Dont wear navy pants. Also, you absolutely should have a crease in your pants. Anything without a crease is streetwear. Flat fronts are my preference too- good call on that. You might also consider cuffs. Flat fronts with cuffs is a very traditional American look, and the older northeastern guys in your office will definately approve.

Shoes- Your best bet is probably another pair of cap toe balomals, dark brown burnished calf. Cordovan penny loafers would be a good business casual look too.

Something to keep in mind is the symmetry of your shirt and pants in terms of bagginess. Trousers that are fairly tight through the leg look lousy when paired with a fuller-cut shirt. The opposite is true too, though to a lesser degree.
e.g. Canali trousers will look great with your Jantzen shirts, but probably not with a shirt from Brooks Bros.
Oxxford trousers might look a little off if paired with a very tight fitting Jantzen.
Just be consistent when you dress in the morning.

raley

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you dislike navy pants? Is it because they could possibly look like orphaned suit trousers?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess that's it, Raley. Aesthetically I dont really have any problem with odd navy trousers. It's just a tradition that sophisticated dressers dont wear them except as part of a suit. Some more knowledgeable members can probably better explain why they dont look as good as gray, olive, or tan. All I can tell you is a lot of people think it looks "off," and is generally avoided in business.

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I guess that's it, Raley. Aesthetically I dont really have any problem with odd navy trousers. It's just a tradition that sophisticated dressers dont wear them except as part of a suit. Some more knowledgeable members can probably better explain why they dont look as good as gray, olive, or tan. All I can tell you is a lot of people think it looks "off," and is generally avoided in business.

Got ya, thanks for the tip. Although I don't have a huge wardrobe and I just spent 90$ on some Zegnas, so I think I will wear them as much as I can this summer (the office doesn't dress particularly well, I must say).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock

I pretty much agree as well. Navy's a great color, but I pretty much only wear it as a suit (I do have one pair of pinstriped navy pants, but then I'm young, reasonably thin, have significant job security, and can get away with the look). If you want navy pants, try it in corduroy. Nobody expects that to be part of a suit - although it can be.

Of course, corduroy doesn't really work that well in the summer.

maverick

Reaction score
Pennglock,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write that.

Do you mean to avoid perfectly white shirts if my skin is very pale?

I don't think a Jantzen wait will be a problem as I am going to be visiting him personally! But you never know. It looks like I will get three pants, all flat front with a crease, one with a cuff that I will wear with button down shirts!

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maverick
Pennglock,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write that.

Do you mean to avoid perfectly white shirts if my skin is very pale?

I don't think a Jantzen wait will be a problem as I am going to be visiting him personally! But you never know. It looks like I will get three pants, all flat front with a crease, one with a cuff that I will wear with button down shirts!

I think if you see Ricky in person then the timing should be no problem.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Dark brown shoes are needed. (You need at least two pairs of shoes.) They can be worn with pants in shades of brown and olive, for instance.

You need at least four pairs of pants. The harder part is pants style. "Symmetry of fit" is a good point that isn't mentioned enough. There also are the matters of what is age-appropriate and office dress code. If, on a workday, you're not going to be wearing a sportcoat (which you should own), then lightweight chinos (tissue or poplin, for example) might be the better choice. However, wearing them with French cuffs is not recommended.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you visit Jantzen personally they'll take care of your order ASAP. I had 8 shirts done in a week, with the "model" shirt done with 1 or 2 days turn around. I told them this was required to place the order for the remainder. We tweeked the model shirt and they all turned out great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads