• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer is just 6months away

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what are you guys planning on wearing this summer season? I really liked some of the looks that were posted for the Fall/Winter and picked up a few new styles myself. Anyways I was wondering what everyone does for the hot months, especially if you live in a Humid/hot area.

Also I know I asked this question last year but this year I need some serious suggestions or input (Alter, 2000db, Nantucket you guys could probably help the most): I am going to Japan this summer and I know it can be ridiculously hot/humid wearing regular clothes but I need to pack a suit or at least a black sport coat for a very important couple of dinners (one asking my girl's dad if I can marry her, the other actually doing the deed and giving her the ring). So here is the question, what material would be best for withstanding the heat sans heatstroke or dressing less. What do the salary men wear? Last year I saw a few suits that were completely sweat through in the back area, this is something I would like to avoid if possible.

Anyways thanks for the input guys.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If cotton is out... then try a really breathable wool suit. LA isn't particularly hot (last summer nonwithstanding) but in the rare occasions that I knew that I would be outside in the heat, I tended to go with something breathable in a light/medium grey. If you need to wear a dark suit, I guess try to find something in as light a material as possible, and apply anti-persipirant liberally haha

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black/blue tends to compliment my hair/skin/eyes better than grey or lighter colors so thats what im kinda leaning towards. It can get hot up here but its just stupid dry in Spokane. 90+F days with 70%+ Humidity is normal in late July/August in Japan so that is what I'm looking at bearing.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Black/blue tends to compliment my hair/skin/eyes better than grey or lighter colors so thats what im kinda leaning towards. It can get hot up here but its just stupid dry in Spokane. 90+F days with 70%+ Humidity is normal in late July/August in Japan so that is what I'm looking at bearing.

I hear you. If you think you can get away with cotton/linen that would be the way to go. If not, then you can try a summer-weight wool. When I was working in the Far East, on the occasions that I'd wear a suit in HK/Taiwan I would typically go with something in as light a grey that I could get away with. Can you wear a medium blue or are you stuck with navy?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact that summer is so close kind of annoys me. I'm still not totally happy with my winter wardrobe, and now it it's time to start planning for summer already.

I think I'll be spending the summer in Alberta, which isn't really that hot, so I think I'll be wearing jeans, lots of polos, some t-shirts, and I want to pick up some new sport jackets.

As an aside, I always have a tough time finding shorts that I like. It seems like there are only three choices: athletic wear, surf wear, and formal wear. Why is it so hard to find casual "lounging" type shorts?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
The fact that summer is so close kind of annoys me. I'm still not totally happy with my winter wardrobe, and now it it's time to start planning for summer already.

my sentiments exactly. FOr this summer I'd like to get a few pairs of light cotton pants - maybe in kahki and navy, and perhaps a pair of white trousers (maybe denim). The same goes for button up shirts (on the lighter side in mostly neutral colors), hopefully some lightweight v-neck sweaters, and new polos (logoless and cheaper than RLs) w/ 3+ button plackets. A pair of dark brown leather loafers. Leather sandals
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
. A 2nd Suit (grey). Black shoes. A new briefcase/messenger.

Anybody care to start attaching links for things I'm looking for? Hopefully marked down....
devil.gif

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...&Nu=Product+ID My god this suit is perfect for me, its everything I ever wanted, great looking euro cut in the jacket and slim cut low pants. Dark navy, damn the only one they have left is even in my size! I cant justify th $1k price tag though... anyone want to make a young boy happy and not expect anything in return?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
anyone want to make a young boy happy and not expect anything in return?
I hear that Michael Jackson is into that sort of stuff...

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn it dude Im not that young other wise...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hmmm... maybe try Jerry Hall, Carrie Fischer, or Demi Moore.

They like guys our age, although at 26, I might be pushing it.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to Japan this summer and I know it can be ridiculously hot/humid wearing regular clothes but I need to pack a suit or at least a black sport coat for a very important couple of dinners (one asking my girl's dad if I can marry her, the other actually doing the deed and giving her the ring).
Hey RBC, Well, I would go with a suit over a sportscoat as it is more commonly associated with a respectable manner of dressing. You are right about the humidity; it is just short of unbearable. The best ways to deal with it are to wear short-sleeve shirts (shudder), or take your jacket off anytime you go outdoors (shudder). If you have the moolah then you should go for a summer weight wool. Merino wool has a certain coolness that helps. My real recommendation though, and this may get me shot around here, is to wait until you get to Japan and go to one of the chain suit shops (e.g. https://www.uktsc.com/e-shop/index.jsp). You can get a nicely cut suit for around $200. It will be fused, of course, but the styles are designed for younger guys like yourself and the weight will be appropriate for the climate here. But...if you are over 6' then they may not have anything that fits you. If you have a little better budget, say $500, then there are a plethora of "tailor-made" shops. Of course, they will take a couple of weeks to receive so if the events are soon after your arrival then this option won't work. Azabu Tailors http://www.azabutailor.com/ has a good reputation for stylish classic British cuts. They have a few locations including a small crowded shop in Ginza. But really, there are hundreds of shops that do MTM. Or you can get some decent deals on MTM suits at the major department stores. BTW: congrats on the impending engagement!

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Hey RBC, Well, I would go with a suit over a sportscoat as it is more commonly associated with a respectable manner of dressing. You are right about the humidity; it is just short of unbearable. The best ways to deal with it are to wear short-sleeve shirts (shudder), or take your jacket off anytime you go outdoors (shudder). If you have the moolah then you should go for a summer weight wool. Merino wool has a certain coolness that helps. My real recommendation though, and this may get me shot around here, is to wait until you get to Japan and go to one of the chain suit shops (e.g. https://www.uktsc.com/e-shop/index.jsp). You can get a nicely cut suit for around $200. It will be fused, of course, but the styles are designed for younger guys like yourself and the weight will be appropriate for the climate here. But...if you are over 6' then they may not have anything that fits you. If you have a little better budget, say $500, then there are a plethora of "tailor-made" shops. Of course, they will take a couple of weeks to receive so if the events are soon after your arrival then this option won't work. Azabu Tailors http://www.azabutailor.com/ has a good reputation for stylish classic British cuts. They have a few locations including a small crowded shop in Ginza. But really, there are hundreds of shops that do MTM. Or you can get some decent deals on MTM suits at the major department stores. BTW: congrats on the impending engagement!
Yeah Im like 6'3" (just tall enough to catch the top of my head on the doors for the Tamagawa line and say "****" really loud, while grabbing my head, the day that I landed). Although buying something while I am there might not be a bad idea as like you said they are built around the weather there. Not like here (Spokane) where its dry and most people are fat/unstylish/dont care how they look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics