• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Internship in Montevideo, Uruguay

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just found out I'll be passing our US summer in Montevideo, Uruguay, early May until early August. I've spent time in Buenos Aires, Rosario, etc. across the Rio, but was wondering what's a must see on the Uruguayan side.

Estadio Centenario -

and...?

Sazerac

Reaction score
It's a pleasant enough city, but not particularly exciting. The old town near the port has some pretty good restaurants, but nothing groundbreaking. Montevideo isn't particularly adventurous when it comes to food, but you will find good steak and some decent local wine if you like South American reds.

There a few bars that attract a decent crowd in the business district, but again, nothing remarkable.

For whom will you be interning?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like he'll do just fine there. Have fun, where there are young people there's fun to be had.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already married. Sorry
blush.gif

I'm working with an NGO promoting and teaching micro-credit and small business techniques.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Huh. The thought of a married intern annoys me.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Huh. The thought of a married intern annoys me.

Gotta take it to graduate. And I want out of college.

GeekSheek

Reaction score
My wife is from MVD and I have spent a fair amount of time there myself. Unfortunately, you'll be there during a kind of a crappy time of year. Most of the touristy stuff (primarily beach towns) will be really quiet (too quiet; a lot of stuff won't be open). You will have missed Carnaval, which is too bad.

Anyway, along the Rio de la Plata, you can make the trip to Colonia...this will be really cheap during the off-season ($35-50 for a decent hotel room). Along the Atlantic coast, you might check out some of the sites (Punta Negra, Punta Ballena... Punta del Este will be really quiet, but cheap in the off-season). Jose Ignacio is really beautiful, and I've heard the same about Cabo Polonio, although you might not be able to get to the latter very easily in the off season. If it's your thing, you could probably arrange to go to one of many Estancia-type resorts (think B&B on a ranch setting).

In Montevideo, I would definitely hit up Mercado del Puerto with some friends...have some medio y medio with a traditional asado. The Museo de Torres-Garcia is small, but worth checking out. You see Torres-Garcia inspired art/design EVERYWHERE in Uruguay....they're super proud of him. I would also hit up Manos del Uruguay...it's a store (multiple locations) that sells a lot of good-quality Uruguayan artisan stuff (leather goods like wallets, belts; hand spun, hand knit wool scarves, sweaters).

Just remember that a lot of buildings don't have central heat. The winter is cool and somewhat rainy, but temps don't often go below freezing. You will want to bring (or buy there) a couple of thick wool sweaters. 45 degrees F might not sound that cold, but you feel it more when you come inside your home, and it's essentially the same temperature as outside.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Interesting internship. There's a strong likelihood that you'll run into my mother (she moved there for work and does a lot of volunteering.) PM me.

One interesting thing I found was that there are quite a number of American expats who play for the Uruguayo pro basketball league. They can be found in the bars a lot, as you'd imagine, and are actually quite a lot of fun to hang out with.

Gihad

Reaction score
As far as drinking and eat goes, beer isn't as popular as wine and cider. You'll also find some of the best tasting meat out there that you don't need to slide into an expensive restaurant to get (IE: chorizo, churrasco, etc). Then again, you've been to Argentina; so you get the idea.

Cool tourist **** to do:
Beaches
Out-door carnivals
Shopping district
Futbol themed sports bars

Cool normal Uruguayo stuff:
Drink Mate
Out-door markets
Small cozy bars
Cybercafes

adidasfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Already married. Sorry
blush.gif

I'm working with an NGO promoting and teaching micro-credit and small business techniques.

Sucks to be married.

How did you get this job?
Sounds like it could be alot of fun to spend a summer in SouthAmerica

danazel

Reaction score
hola, el argentino!

I am an American law student who will also be working as an intern this summer in Montevideo from late May to August, though I'll be working with the US State Dept in an office that deals with free trade (so maybe we'd cross paths anyway?). I'm looking for any and all possible contacts as I will not know a soul down there. holler at me if you'd like to meet!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads