• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Housing Suggestions(NYC)

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be interning in New York this summer and I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for housing. NYU Dorms are probably the most popular pick, but they are approximately 1400/month.

My internship lasts 10 weeks and all I really care about is having a bed and accessible shower.

Is Craigslist really my best bet? Ideally I'd be looking for a sublet that I could split with a roommate or 2 that comes out to under 1400/month. Other than that, the only other criteria I care about is proximity to the 6 train.

Where should I look?

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CL has some ****

Don't be scared of BK... stay west of Bedford below Flushing and Union above, and north of ~9th St in Park slope, you'll be fine.

If you have to be on the island the UES is prob ur best bet, but for a college kid it would be boring as ****.

Astoria's another option.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why north of 9th st? the whole slope all the way to 15th st is fine

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

+1 but Transportation down there can be a little problematic.

Financial District is incredibly inexpensive for Manhattan. I just left an apartment that had large sized rooms going for under $1100 each in a full service building (all are taken as of now though). See if you can find something temporary in the area. Not the best nightlife, but it's SUPER easy to get anywhere in NYC.

Good luck.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Like du said transport sucks, nabe starts getting sketch

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Like du said transport sucks, nabe starts getting sketch

F train runs down to the park corner on 15th. Neighborhood not sketchy at all - maybe south of 15th and into Ft Hamilton but not the slope down to 15th. I used to live there.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are able to get in early enough you can stay in the NYU dorms downtown for a fairly reasonable price, and a good time had by all. You needn't attend NYU

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know people who did NYU dorms when they interned in NYC (I don't remember it being 1400 in the summer of 08...though maybe it was something like 300 a week which comes close)

Seemed like a good way to go...though they were doing ibanking so its not like they spent much time at home.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I know people who did NYU dorms when they interned in NYC (I don't remember it being 1400 in the summer of 08...though maybe it was something like 300 a week which comes close)

Seemed like a good way to go...though they were doing ibanking so its not like they spent much time at home.

My GF did this back in 05 or 06. Affordable for thos kinds of internships, not so much for most others.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thankfully, my pay from the internship should cover costs (banking), but I'd like to save as much as possible. I figure I'll just get the face time in and will rarely see my apartment/dorm, so aside from location, amenities besides air conditioning don't add much value for me.

Leaning towards NYU dorms unless someone more ambitious than me organizes an apartment split at this point.

WSA, OTC, would they recommend staying in dorms if they had to do it again? I'm an NYU student so I should get slightly preferential treatment when it comes to signups.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I'm really confused. You're an NYU student looking for housing in NYC?
puzzled.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll take cars every night to get home so you can just rest or snooze during the ride if you'd like.

I can't imagine you'd move to the village and shell out $1000+ simply to save 20 mns of train ride a day? I know the ib hours are rough but that seems like a stretch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics