• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer hats/headgear?

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Hi,

Not a fan of the sun and getting darker/burnt in summer but not a fan of baseball caps...what are classic hats to go with dress shirts pants and some brown shoe style fits? Thanks,

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the fedora is probably the most widely used, but it can look either really good, or absolutely dogshit horrible, depending on what you look like and your style.

When wearing dress clothes, I do not wear a hat.

I have a strawish fedora for some casual outfits, but I don't wear it often.

For casual wear, its hard to be a well worn bball cap.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trilby made from woven paper or reed, like a small-brimmed Panama. Or a beige flat cap made of thin cotton.

Sonny58

Reaction score
A Panama hat is classic and versatile (you could wear it casually or with suit and tie). And the brim is wide enough to provide effective protection from the sun.

mixedmajik

Reaction score
@Quad I'm not going to be wearing hats to really formal pleasure so when i say dress shirt pant and shoe I just mean this is what I will be wearing just around the place...we could throw in polos here and there but I'm trying to improve so a dress shirt will be part of my everyday wear casually now...even in summer I guess which seems to be how to dress better. I used to wear fedoras but I had comments that it made me look like a singer or some fruity guy so I stopped...I have a fairly kid looking face so it doesn't really fit I guess. For what I look like...pretty much an african american around 20 years old and extremely short...like 5'7 or so...don't really look my age which doesn't help in this gentleman transition.

@becnal Thanks...I should have asked people to include some pictures because I've never heard of those hats before...and if I google them I won't know which people are rocking them well and which people are disgracing the hat.

@sonny Kind of going along with becnal...I don't really know what those look like but I will try and google.

For future posts maybe if some of you have time...could you possibly link a picture or so of who is "wearing the hat properly" just so I don't get a case of trying to replicate the wrong way of wearing the hat in summer if I like a certain style. Thanks.

Sonny58

Reaction score
Panamas...

mixedmajik

Reaction score
Thanks the hats do look all quite similar I'm surprised haha...i would never have guessed...which I know is especially true because the image of the Trilby hat is what I had been thinking was a fedora all this time...no wonder people thought I looked fruity with a striped grey one of those haha. I since googled fedora vs trilby and realized I don't even own a fedora...those other 3 or 4 hats I have make me a fraud. Definitely curious to see more styles now. Thank you guys.

Reaction score
Hello! I would definitely suggest trying out a panama hat. Keep in mind that not all panama hats are made in the same exact shape, I have seen panama hats look too close to a cowboy hat. The best thing I think you can probably do is go into a hat shop, or a store that sells many different kinds of hats and try them on. See how they fit your head and your face. Make sure you feel comfortable in it and that you will wear it again. It really is the best way to do it. You never know how you will like something until you try it on! Hope this helps! Cheers. :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads