• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Fedora Advice Please

toddamo

Reaction score
Dear friends,

I'm getting married in a few weeks and have been soliciting
groomsmen gift ideas. I really want to avoid the pocket watch,
flask, swiss army knife, etc.

The wedding is in June in NYC. A friend of mine suggested
getting my four groomsmen summer fedoras. I thought that
was a pretty cool idea. I just have no idea where to go or
what to look for.

I'm going to post two links to two models I've found. If I'm
breaking any spam rules, I apologize. These hats are around
the same price. ($40 something) Do either of them look better?
Any other suggestions on where to shop or what to look for?

Hat #1
http://www.porkpiehatters.com/produc...3_3607641.aspx

Hat #2
http://www.zappos.com/brixton-hank-tan-straw

I really appreciate any kind of input or suggestions you can share.

Thanks!

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
FedoraSucks.jpg

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you want to look like a ska band?

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend likes wearing a fedora to the beach
biggrin.gif

Carlisle Blues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by toddamo
Dear friends, I'm getting married in a few weeks and have been soliciting groomsmen gift ideas. I really want to avoid the pocket watch, flask, swiss army knife, etc. The wedding is in June in NYC. A friend of mine suggested getting my four groomsmen summer fedoras. I thought that was a pretty cool idea. I just have no idea where to go or what to look for. I'm going to post two links to two models I've found. If I'm breaking any spam rules, I apologize. These hats are around the same price. ($40 something) Do either of them look better? Any other suggestions on where to shop or what to look for? Hat #1 http://www.porkpiehatters.com/produc...3_3607641.aspx Hat #2 http://www.zappos.com/brixton-hank-tan-straw I really appreciate any kind of input or suggestions you can share. Thanks!
Congratulations...this is what your straw hat is made of
  • 100% paper straw.
What are you trying to achieve with the hats . A memento such as a keepsake? or do you want these hats to be used and worn?

bobm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
FedoraSucks.jpg

LOL! So true. Also agree with you that very few people can pull off looking good in a fedora. However these summer/straw/inexpensive hats do provide a bit more room for error fashion wise than the standard felt fedoras.
It's an interesting gift, but for the already mentioned reasons, get them something else.

Bob

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Besides the fact that a lot of people travel to weddings, and are not likely to wear their straw fedora on an airplane, so your gift is a nuisance to bring home, or crushed in travel. Definitely not a keepsake, either.

toddamo

Reaction score
Soooo, not a fan of that idea...eh?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

whooophats

Reaction score
It all depends on how you actually carry your hat. “Cock your hat,” Sinatra himself said, “angles are attitudes.”

There's an entire article about how to carry hats, fedora straw hats in particular, by The Guardian some time ago.

NormanF

Reaction score
I have a Tilley's fedora. Nice crushable hat in black. Wearing a fedora is a matter of attitude. Its best worn in your car in the late afternoon. The brim will keep the sunlight from striking the side of your face if you drive north and the light comes in on the driver's window side. The main reason to wear it is to shield your eyes when you go out. Its also a good sleeping aid if you want to rest someplace and need to block out light. In the old days, the fedora was considered the one indispensable item no man could be without outdoors!

Last edited:

ac_slater

Reaction score
This is the only time I've seen a fedora pulled off well.

In order to wear one of these and not look like a douche you have to think outside the box.

Hint: Jeans + t-shirt + fedora = only always a fail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads