• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer bbq ideas

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys make when you do a get together with friends in a park with a grill?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Standard meats would be the obvious: burgers, brats and steaks; I also enjoy grilling pork chops, skinless chicken breasts and thighs, or make up some kebabs.

I also enjoy throwing on the upper rack ears of corn, potatoes (cut up and encased in alum foil), green beans or asparagus.

QBNCGAR

Reaction score
Your grill from home or one of the ones that's just there in the park? If it's the latter, probably the easiest and tastiest thing I can think of would be a tri-tip. Cooked to medium rare on high heat (just use Kingsford, lump may burn too hot), seasoned with either salt & fresh ground black pepper or better yet, the rub below...sliced thin and put onto buns or rolls. http://www.atbbq.com/store/show/tx_brisket_rub.html
john-henrys-texas-brisket-rub_large.jpg

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
being poor students we unfortunately do not have our own grills although i could borrow a tiny $20 one

i was thinking of throwing a few foil wrapped sweet potatoes in the embers once we're done grilling the meat

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do a big barbeque every year, with a smoker and a few grills. I do briskets and a ham in the smoker, this year I am going to smoke chickens. then I do brats, chicken satay and then hot dogs for the kids on the grill.

when I am home I do mostly kababs.

QBNCGAR

Reaction score
For corn on the cob (!), consider this - I've converted dozens of people with this technique.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do you have a smoker you use?

Thinking about it I don't think any of the grills have a lid. I might just bring the small grill my friend left behind as that has a lid and smoke something on it.

Any recipes for smoked briskets?

mr chorizo

Reaction score
i'am also really on the smoker train this summer; all i want to do is throw a boston pork butt in my weber and smoke it for 10 hours. would love some recommendations on recipes!

as far as smokers go; home depot has some barrel smokers online for pretty cheap. i hear the green egg is the bomb!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got the cheapest smoker available, it was less than 50 bucks,
http://www.homedepot.com/Brinkmann/h...atalogId=10053

what I like about it is that you can put in fuel without moving the meat, which some don't let you do. but you don't need the fancy ones, unless you really want to save your labor. with this kind of smoker, you are on duty for 10 hours or so.

here is what I do - I brine the meat, basically you soak it in salt water with some spices overnight, or maybe 16 hours or so, in very cold water. I put the meat in an ice chest.

then, I make a barbeque sauce based on honey, vinigar, mustard and other spices. there are plenty of receipes available on line, as well as prepared sauces. I also make a rub - a dry preperation of spices. plenty of reciepies on line, and plenty available. I rub the meat with the rub, wrap it in plastic wrap for a few hours while I am setting up the smoker.

I get up about 5 am, and set up the smoker, with a good load of charcoal and soak a large bag of wood chips in water. I like fruit wood chips, or mesquite. once the smoker is hot, I wet the meat with the sauce well, put it in, and then put in several large handfulls of the woodchips. then you close it up and watch for 10 hours or so. you put in wood chips when the smoke thins out, you play with the airholes to keep the temperature consistant - more air raises the temp, less air cools it down, and every hour or so I slather sauce on the meat. after about 7-8 hours, I wrap the meat in tin foil and put it back on.

that is, basically, it. best ******* brisket you are ever going to have.

Yachting Man

Reaction score
I love a good BBQ with:

Grilled skirt steak.
Grilled sweet potato fries.
SautÃ
00a9.png
ed corn.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am gonna grill at least a couple times in the next few weeks. Probably gonna try brining a chicken in a simple brine and then grilling it over a beer can for the first time, but thinking I won't use beer and will just fill the can with more brine instead. I will be so GrillinFool. Serve with a salad of course.

Other than that, I like grilled green onions, grilled mushroom caps (upside down of course), grilled zucchini and squash, whatever is cheap and fresh in the summer.
If you ever grill with white people, gochujang pork bulgogi is always a huge hit and cheap to make if you need a lot of cheap protein that doesn't suck, and you can make it the night before and just bring it over well-chilled in a container. Have your red leaf lettuce, have some other stuff to go in your ssam, hand out the chopsticks, non-Korean people love that stuff more than Korean people maybe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads