• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer bbq ideas

Yachting Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
what? grilled fries?

Of course! Cut up a sweat potato into fry like slices, wrap them in tin foil and grill em up!

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I am gonna grill at least a couple times in the next few weeks. Probably gonna try brining a chicken in a simple brine and then grilling it over a beer can for the first time, but thinking I won't use beer and will just fill the can with more brine instead. I will be so GrillinFool. Serve with a salad of course.

Other than that, I like grilled green onions, grilled mushroom caps (upside down of course), grilled zucchini and squash, whatever is cheap and fresh in the summer.
If you ever grill with white people, gochujang pork bulgogi is always a huge hit and cheap to make if you need a lot of cheap protein that doesn't suck, and you can make it the night before and just bring it over well-chilled in a container. Have your red leaf lettuce, have some other stuff to go in your ssam, hand out the chopsticks, non-Korean people love that stuff more than Korean people maybe.

you know what. I think i'm going to go with the dweji bulgogi idea. i think i have some gochujang chilling in the back of my fridge. what cut would you use?

i'd love to smoke a brisket, but the grills dont have covers and i dont think the park opens at 5 am

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you know what. I think i'm going to go with the dweji bulgogi idea. i think i have some gochujang chilling in the back of my fridge. what cut would you use?

i'd love to smoke a brisket, but the grills dont have covers and i dont think the park opens at 5 am

just buy loins, you know the cut the doesn't particularly matter, but leaner would be better in this case. Save the fattier stuff for eating non-marinated. Break it down into bite sized pieces, find a recipe online that includes gochujang, some rice wine or sake, honey, a lot of green onions, ginger, garlic, some sesame seeds, etc. If you have the gochujang then you can put together way more than a few pounds for twenty bucks. Get other people to bring the red leaf lettuce. Get some other stuff to put in your ssam if you like.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd consult Mark Bittman on my bulgogi issues.

QBNCGAR

Reaction score
do you have a smoker you use?

Thinking about it I don't think any of the grills have a lid. I might just bring the small grill my friend left behind as that has a lid and smoke something on it.

Any recipes for smoked briskets?

I have a Hasty Bake Legacy...you don't want that if you're a poor college student, but when you have arrived, I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.hastybake.com/grill_legacy.html

svd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr chorizo
this does not sound like it would taste good, but kind of curious....

http://video.about.com/bbq/Crock-Pot-Pulled-Pork.htm

You don't get the smoke flavor that you get on a smoker obviously, and that is huge. But living in an apartment I do this sometimes. You have to make up for the lack of smoke, so I make my own sauce with a ketchup/vinegar base and work in some dried smoked peppers.

Easy and cheap way to feed a lot of people. And decent BBQ is still pretty good.

kuslamb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
I have a Hasty Bake Legacy...you don't want that if you're a poor college student, but when you have arrived, I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.hastybake.com/grill_legacy.html

Nothing like Hasty Bake grills. I have forever used my dad's HB Gourment. Its simply an incredible grill. About every 8 years, we have to install new charcoal rails and a new charcoal box, at a total cost of probably $100.

As I am moving from a condo to a house, I am going to pick up my own finally. It is also really nice buying directly from HB as they are headquartered in my home town (Tulsa, Oklahoma).

Oh, and in spirit of the thread, we make chicken wrapped in bacon, stuffed with cilantro and jalapeno a lot.

Pretty easy, pound out chicken breasts, season with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, lime juice, inside and out, place a few stems/sprigs of cilantro plus 1/2 a jalapeno in the middle, roll chicken around the stuffing, and then wrap in bacon, use toothpicks on both ends to secure the package, repeat. Cook on a lower temp grill as its difficult to get the bacon fully rendered and just crisp, while getting the chicken internal temp up sufficiently. Practice makes perfect, and tastes great.

If cook too hot, you will end up with blackened/burned bacon (due primarily to flare ups caused by fat dripping) and a raw chicken. Not too tasty.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came up with this last summer:

peel and chop a couple of sweet potatos. Wrap them up in tin foil with a little butter and a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You will probably want to pull about half the peppers out or it will be too hot for most people. Serve that **** with sour cream. ******* delicious.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
삼겹살, 오겹살, 갈비, 조개, 굴...

i so korean :[

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm a little confused what you do with the can of adobe peppers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads