• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Associate Style Questions

khaller

Reaction score
I'm a first year law student and will be working for a San Francisco firm this summer. I'm having suits (solid navy & solid charcoal 2-button SBs) made by Mr. Ned and shirts by CEGO. My question is what styles/textures/colors are appropriate for a SF law firm summer associate? Can any current lawyers comment on their experiences?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go pretty conservative. I wouldn't want to look like some kind of fancypants knowitall. That being said, it is summer and you could probably get away with some brighter colors and some thinner materials.

Also, depends largely on your firms dress policy. If it is business casual, I would say go with a sportcoat and no tie.

And most importantly, always make sure that you have a suit hanging on your door so that you can be dressed properly if you are called on to go to a court appearance/client meeting/deposition, etc.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer Associates are by and large not well dressed. To the extent that your firm is not business casual (all but a handful in New York are business casual), I would expect to see a large number of fused black, navy, and charcoal suits amongst your summer class. Honestly, you will be better dressed than all of them, and probably some of the attorneys. Sounds like you are all set, and I honestly would not worry about your wardrobe too much. If you want your Mr. Ned suits still to fit you at the end of the summer, I'd plan on exercising off some of those summer lunches too!
blush.gif

Ludlow

Reaction score
Bring the suits for client meetings and company "social" events, but your days will be business casual. Clean, pressed shirts and dress slacks - you can get away with quality khakis but don't make them your uniform. Make sure the belt matches the shoes. Work hard, stay organized, don't ask the same question twice. Good luck.

leonardo

Reaction score
If you are asking about dress shirt colors, I started with a conservative collection of whites and blues in solids, stipes, and checks.. nothing too flashy.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludlow
Bring the suits for client meetings and company "social" events, but your days will be business casual. Clean, pressed shirts and dress slacks - you can get away with quality khakis but don't make them your uniform. Make sure the belt matches the shoes. Work hard, stay organized, don't ask the same question twice. Good luck.

Again, depends on the firm. At my firm, khakis are not acceptable dress for summer (or any other) associates. Check the firm's dress policy.

What you don't want to be is the douchebag that shows up in a suit and tie every day even though the firm is business casual.

southgate house

Reaction score
I'm an associate at a major law firm in San Francisco. Based on the information you provided, I would not worry about what you are wearing so long as you are not overdressed, which really just means don't wear a tie unless you are going to court or meeting with a client. Also, no pocket squares.

Remember that, assuming the firm isn't going bankrupt, you will get an offer at the end of the summer unless you screw up (badly). Be confident and have fun.

khaller

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I interned there before and paid close attention to the style of dress. It is in no way business casual. However, the attorneys were surprised that I showed up in a suit or blazer each day (although I removed the jacket shortly after I arrived and only wore it when we left the office). What I couldn't tell is whether they were surprised in a good way or a bad way. I definitely don't want to come across as disrespectful, but on the other hand I don't want to be perceived as a 'fancypants'.

vanity

Reaction score
I wear linen almost religiously in the summer. Can you guys wear linen?

southgate house

Reaction score
I think dark blue linen would be more than acceptable in san francisco during the summer. I'm not so sure about lighter colors like cream or white. Maybe odd cream linen pants with a navy jacket would work.

Generally law firm "business casual" means wool pants and dress shirt. That's why some people might be surprised if you wear a suit with no tie or a sports jacket every day -- they are actually slightly more dressy than the norm. But those looks are definitely within the realm of looking nice without being mr. fancypants. Also, being a little fancypants is good. Shows that you are smart enough to know.

Ludlow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaller
I interned there before and paid close attention to the style of dress. It is in no way business casual. However, the attorneys were surprised that I showed up in a suit or blazer each day.

What exactly do you mean? It wasn't business casual, but they were surprised that you wore a coat? What was the dress code - nudist?

horton

Reaction score
I have only one golden rule for summer or even young associates: no bowties!

southgate house

Reaction score
really, no bowties? i've never worn one, but it seems they could be done in a playful, youthful manner.

alflauren

Reaction score
Yeah, no bowties, and be sure to scrape your pipe directly into the garbage can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads