• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sulka Smoking/Pajama Set

chloe

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I'm new to this forum but I was hoping with your expertise you could guide me in the right direction on Sulka Pajama/Smoking Pant/Jacket set. I would guess from the tag it is from the 30's. I know of their value but want to research a little more. Any info would be much appreciated!
smile.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly do you wish to know?

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chloe
Hi Everyone:

I'm new to this forum but I was hoping with your expertise you could guide me in the right direction on Sulka Pajama/Smoking Pant/Jacket set. I would guess from the tag it is from the 30's. I know of their value but want to research a little more. Any info would be much appreciated!
smile.gif

Perhaps you could post a few photos, including details of the jacket/top label, sleeve cuffs, and pants waist closure. An overall photo of the set as well as the detail clues would go a long way to helping the identification process.

chloe

Reaction score
I will take some pics...not sure if I can figure out how to post...I will try.
Here are some written details in the mean time.
Tag Reads (blue tag) A. Sulka & Company
661 Fifth Avenue, New York
London Paris Chicago
The pants are all buttons in the front with silk bands out of one of the loops
(I guess to pull pants tighter?) Ahhh!! I found the date on the pants It is dated 11/29/50 No. 44343

The color of the two piece suite is black with design all lined with grey/silver
silk. Cuffs (?) I don't know cuffed with silk.

I guess what I was hoping for is value? Thanks! Chloe

chloe

Reaction score
UGGGHH!!! It's saying my file is to large. Now what? Sorry, I'm not that great with this computer/pic stuff. I will send to email if you like. Chloe

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Put it on ebay. Whatever it sells for is its value.

chloe

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I guess I won't be visiting here looking for some advice.
confused.gif

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will take some pics...not sure if I can figure out how to post...I will try.
Here are some written details in the mean time.
Tag Reads (blue tag) A. Sulka & Company
661 Fifth Avenue, New York
London Paris Chicago
The pants are all buttons in the front with silk bands out of one of the loops
(I guess to pull pants tighter?) Ahhh!! I found the date on the pants It is dated 11/29/50 No. 44343

The color of the two piece suite is black with design all lined with grey/silver
silk. Cuffs (?) I don't know cuffed with silk.

Now that you've solved the mystery of age, value is more problematic. Size, condition, and whim will frustrate your research.

eBay is a poor indicator in my mind. I've seen some of my excess Sulka items languish without seeming interest or bid. Some of my other Sulka items sold for hundreds of dollars when I expected them to fetch thirty or forty dollars. I haven't sold anything on eBay for more than two years. However, I doubt much has changed in the bidding habits.

I might be able to assist you by comparing to my Sulka catalogues from that era. Since you say it's lined, your item is probably a smoking set rather than pajamas. Does the label also state manufacturing origin (Made in England or Made in France)? If you offer them for sale, several great photos would go a long way to generating interest from serous buyers.

chloe

Reaction score
Full Canvas:

Thank you. The label doesn't state origin. I also believe it is a smoking set.
I'm not sure how to make my pics smaller to post. I have done some research on Sulka but I'm just trying to figure a price to start at. Thanks
for your kindness! Chloe

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've only seen one such Sulka smoking/pajama set in my time. It was in virtually perfect condition and was a wearable modern size (38, I believe) and sold for around $500. But that was a few years ago, when the vintage clothing market was a bit more robust.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
when the vintage clothing market was a bit more robust.

I've learned, from the Fedora Lounge, that the vintage market( on eBay) has its seasons as well. Fall/Winter is the sellers market for menswear.

chloe

Reaction score
This set is in excellent condition. I'm not sure of the size. That's a start at least. I will keep researching and hopefully will feel OK with a price. I am not that familiar with mens vintage fashion. I am also researching some vintage
3 piece tuxedo tail suits. If you have any info or where I can look I would appreciate. I will have to get the names. I know the one is De Penna (and based on the label) it is from the 30's. Thanks so much! Chloe

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Full Canvas:
I'm not sure how to make my pics smaller to post.

If you don't have PhotoShop or some similar software to resize your photos, you might just archive them for independent viewing by opening a free account at one of the many album websites such as www.photobucket.com. Once you upload the photos into your free album, you can post the assigned URL from each photo as a link.

If you post the individual URLs here, the links can simply be opened individually for any SF member to view the photos.

The specific manufacture date likely indicates the item was a special order rather than ready-to-wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads