1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sulka Smoking/Pajama Set

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chloe, Jun 30, 2006.

1. chloe

chloe Member

Hi Everyone:

I'm new to this forum but I was hoping with your expertise you could guide me in the right direction on Sulka Pajama/Smoking Pant/Jacket set. I would guess from the tag it is from the 30's. I know of their value but want to research a little more. Any info would be much appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

What exactly do you wish to know?

3. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Distinguished Member

Hi Everyone:

I'm new to this forum but I was hoping with your expertise you could guide me in the right direction on Sulka Pajama/Smoking Pant/Jacket set. I would guess from the tag it is from the 30's. I know of their value but want to research a little more. Any info would be much appreciated! [​IMG]

Perhaps you could post a few photos, including details of the jacket/top label, sleeve cuffs, and pants waist closure. An overall photo of the set as well as the detail clues would go a long way to helping the identification process.

4. chloe

chloe Member

I will take some pics...not sure if I can figure out how to post...I will try.
    Here are some written details in the mean time.
    Tag Reads (blue tag) A. Sulka & Company
    661 Fifth Avenue, New York
    London Paris Chicago
    The pants are all buttons in the front with silk bands out of one of the loops
    (I guess to pull pants tighter?) Ahhh!! I found the date on the pants It is dated 11/29/50 No. 44343

The color of the two piece suite is black with design all lined with grey/silver
    silk. Cuffs (?) I don't know cuffed with silk.

I guess what I was hoping for is value? Thanks! Chloe

5. chloe

chloe Member

UGGGHH!!! It's saying my file is to large. Now what? Sorry, I'm not that great with this computer/pic stuff. I will send to email if you like. Chloe

6. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

Put it on ebay. Whatever it sells for is its value.

7. chloe

chloe Member

Thanks for the help. I guess I won't be visiting here looking for some advice.[​IMG]

8. Full Canvas

I will take some pics...not sure if I can figure out how to post...I will try.
    Here are some written details in the mean time.
    Tag Reads (blue tag) A. Sulka & Company
    661 Fifth Avenue, New York
    London Paris Chicago
    The pants are all buttons in the front with silk bands out of one of the loops
    (I guess to pull pants tighter?) Ahhh!! I found the date on the pants It is dated 11/29/50 No. 44343

The color of the two piece suite is black with design all lined with grey/silver
    silk. Cuffs (?) I don't know cuffed with silk.

Now that you've solved the mystery of age, value is more problematic. Size, condition, and whim will frustrate your research.

eBay is a poor indicator in my mind. I've seen some of my excess Sulka items languish without seeming interest or bid. Some of my other Sulka items sold for hundreds of dollars when I expected them to fetch thirty or forty dollars. I haven't sold anything on eBay for more than two years. However, I doubt much has changed in the bidding habits.

I might be able to assist you by comparing to my Sulka catalogues from that era. Since you say it's lined, your item is probably a smoking set rather than pajamas. Does the label also state manufacturing origin (Made in England or Made in France)? If you offer them for sale, several great photos would go a long way to generating interest from serous buyers.

9. chloe

chloe Member

Full Canvas:

Thank you. The label doesn't state origin. I also believe it is a smoking set.
    I'm not sure how to make my pics smaller to post. I have done some research on Sulka but I'm just trying to figure a price to start at. Thanks
    for your kindness! Chloe

10. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

I've only seen one such Sulka smoking/pajama set in my time. It was in virtually perfect condition and was a wearable modern size (38, I believe) and sold for around $500. But that was a few years ago, when the vintage clothing market was a bit more robust.

11. Tomasso

when the vintage clothing market was a bit more robust.

I've learned, from the Fedora Lounge, that the vintage market( on eBay) has its seasons as well. Fall/Winter is the sellers market for menswear.

12. chloe

chloe Member

This set is in excellent condition. I'm not sure of the size. That's a start at least. I will keep researching and hopefully will feel OK with a price. I am not that familiar with mens vintage fashion. I am also researching some vintage
    3 piece tuxedo tail suits. If you have any info or where I can look I would appreciate. I will have to get the names. I know the one is De Penna (and based on the label) it is from the 30's. Thanks so much! Chloe

13. Tomasso

I am not that familiar with mens vintage fashion. If you have any info or where I can look I would appreciate.

These guys are good, especially Marc Chevalier.

http://thefedoralounge.com/index.php

14. chloe

chloe Member

These guys are good, especially Marc Chevalier.

http://thefedoralounge.com/index.php

Thanks for the awesome site. That will keep me busy for awhile!
    Chloe

15. Full Canvas

Full Canvas:
    I'm not sure how to make my pics smaller to post.

If you don't have PhotoShop or some similar software to resize your photos, you might just archive them for independent viewing by opening a free account at one of the many album websites such as www.photobucket.com. Once you upload the photos into your free album, you can post the assigned URL from each photo as a link.

If you post the individual URLs here, the links can simply be opened individually for any SF member to view the photos.

The specific manufacture date likely indicates the item was a special order rather than ready-to-wear.