• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suitsupply - still a good value (and fit) ?

SS 376

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum. I was wondering could somebody explain to me why this Navy Sienna VBC S110 is more expensive than the two dark grey sienna VBC S130?

Navy Sienna VBC S110 - $749 CAD

Dark Grey Sienna VBC S130 - $739 CAD

Dark Grey Sienna VBC S130 - $639 CAD

SuitSupply's pricing seems a bit arbitrary to me or they charging a navy-color premium :eh:

Thanks in advance!

Not arbitrary if it's demand-related. It could be that dark grey 130 fabrics are selling a bit slowly compared to navy 110, in which case lowering the price for the dark grey to move inventory makes sense. I don't think it's a function of quality or anything like that.

dracolnyte

Reaction score
Not arbitrary if it's demand-related. It could be that dark grey 130 fabrics are selling a bit slowly compared to navy 110, in which case lowering the price for the dark grey to move inventory makes sense. I don't think it's a function of quality or anything like that.
thanks for your reply! I suspected it had something to do with higher demand for navy than dark grey. I went ahead and ordered the navy

TomTom

Reaction score
Both are at quite different price levels to be fair and Boggi doesn' offer long sizes which makes it a non-option for myself.
Agreed with this..Once went to Boggi to maybe buy a suit or a sports jacket and their clothes on me look like I'm a toddler..My wife has actually burst out laughing..For the record I'm a 6 foot 3 former rugby player. In Europe Spier and Mackay are not an option due to to the import taxes. Suit Supply Custom made is a great option for my height and their styles can be amended. For winter suits you can't beat Walker Slater

japejapejape

Reaction score
i shop consistently at both susu and spier.
the only problem i have with spier is that the company is still relatively small and there is a lack of options.
my size always gets sold out quickly and the spier guys on here seem like they check the site every single hour and buy up a lot of the good stuff. otherwise they offer great value. their website is terrible though.

susu is still good value too
i have gone the custom made route and with their prices its hard to beat
they have great fabrics and you are spoiled for choice. also, with the bi annual outlet really is quality as i've picked up a lot of stuff from there.
overall i think spier is better value but i always find more fabrics that i like from susu because of sheer volume. also, their casual offerings are a lot better than spier imo.

dracolnyte

Reaction score
i shop consistently at both susu and spier.
the only problem i have with spier is that the company is still relatively small and there is a lack of options.
my size always gets sold out quickly and the spier guys on here seem like they check the site every single hour and buy up a lot of the good stuff. otherwise they offer great value. their website is terrible though.

susu is still good value too
i have gone the custom made route and with their prices its hard to beat
they have great fabrics and you are spoiled for choice. also, with the bi annual outlet really is quality as i've picked up a lot of stuff from there.
overall i think spier is better value but i always find more fabrics that i like from susu because of sheer volume. also, their casual offerings are a lot better than spier imo.
next time Spier has a sale, i will try one of their OTR/RTW full canvas. I am pretty pleased with their regular suits

soto_nw

Reaction score
I'd still say that Suit Supply (S) is a good value, at least here in the US, but would agree with those that have stated that Spier and Mackay (SM) is better value (here meaning bang for buck) - at least in terms of sports coats.

Size 40R fits me about the same in both S and SM, though I need to shorten the sleeves on SM (sometimes taper them too). I think the pricing for SM is hard to beat, there just aren't as many fabrics that call my attention (though the fall fabrics are very impressive). For better or worse, it's also true that when SM does use the same fabrics as S, the price is the same, or higher than a comparable S sport coat, at least in US pricing.

However, as a proportion of items that call my attention, relative to their catalogue size, SM is better. For example for the 35 blue sports coats S has, maybe 5 call my attention (at most), while SM may only have 5 blue sports coats, but 1-2 will call my attention. SM seems to focus on fewer, but try to nail it.

I have not tried SM trousers yet, I try to mostly buy pleated ones and up until recently my sizes tend to be sold out more often at SM (true for a lot of products). I have liked the S trousers since they've added pleated ones, but honestly, as @Sellidor said, Pini Parma has them both beat, quite easily (if you're looking for something pleated). Pini Parma's (PP) fit and fabrics for trousers, is insane.

Speaking of which, I'd also say that PP is a great value (though they did increase prices recently, which is somewhat offset by $0 delivery AND no import duties to US). I am not as impressed by their jackets as I am their trousers since they are shorter than SM and S, AND yet I also have to shorten the sleeve a bit (I also find PP's jackets roomier, but kind of like that). With that said they have a couple of tempting offers because of their fabric selection. Though I prefer PP non-custom suits over SM and S, as a value proposition (Haven't had a chance to purchase SM suit that comes with pleated trousers yet, since I did not start buying from them until this Spring). Though if I were to buy another full suit from S I'd buy their full canvas (which also tend to be pleated, or go custom where I can get a "high rise" pleated trouser).

In terms of custom, I think S and SM have price parity (though I'm unsure if there are import duties buying an $800+ custom suit from SM from the US). I feel like there S offers a better price point, and SM offers value (I priced it out once, and S was less expensive for what I was looking for while SM offered a bit more features for more money - like adding full canvas, or adjusting the measurement slightly).

I also think S has cornered the market in casual wear by sourcing better material. I love my wool and wool and cashmere blend casual wear from S (though SM is stepping their game up).

Ultimately, it's great to see competition in this space, and I think they all offer value in different ways. S and PP have an edge in fabrics, SM has a better price point and better value than S. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I have to wear a suit (before work from home) at least 4 days a week most of the year, so these brands have really helped make that affordable. Though I'm getting to the point where I'd rather wait longer between purchases and go "high-end" MTM (1 suit a year vs 3 jackets). You know, rely on these brands as my "beaters" for work and to wear casually. My shorthand way of purchasing from these brands are:

RTW SUITS: PP and S (lean PP)
CUSTOM SUITS: S and SM
TROUSERS: PP (though going to give high-rise corduroy from SM a try)
JACKETS: SM and S
RTW SHIRTS: SM
CASUAL KNITS: S and SM

Final note - I'll be interested to see what The Rake does over time. I've already purchased their new flannel trousers which are priced competitively priced, compared to PP and S. I may just buy their 6x1 DB flannel too - the jacket is higher priced than any of these brands, but seems worth it to me because it's unique and a quality fabric.

IF YOU MADE IT THIS LONG - thank you for staying for my TedxTalk

Last edited:

ivanli9

Reaction score
I’m wondering when you guys talk about the sizing of S&M, you are always referring to their normal fit or slim fit???

I found their 30 slim is too tight for me and I’m thinking to try 32 slim or 30 normal. And which size should I try for PP then??

thanks...

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thank! Not sure if I needed another website to spend money on :)
Also unsure why pini uses an older mature model for their suits which are quite fitted (read too tight? ) . This guy looks like a suitsupply model in 30 years ceteris paribus with regards to style
View attachment 1333148
The fit looks very good on this guy. Not everyone (most of the world) wear their clothing like many on SF tend to do with their larger fittings of another era.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
I think SuitSupply is fantastic value - if Spier and Mackay didn't exist. The mere existence of Spier and Mackay means that I'm basically getting SS quality (well with slightly worse fabrics I suppose) for 50-70% of the price and with what I think is a slightly more flattering fit with S&M (lower buttoning point and I like their looser sleeves and I think SM's armholes fit me better?).

Since you're in Canada and you have easy access to SM I don't see why you would ever go to SS again unless there's a fabric you really like from SS.

With that being said SuitSupply is still great value - the one item I have from SS (a tuxedo) is really comfortable and 100% worth the full price I paid for it. They also did alterations in 30 minutes which is frankly ridiculous.

Last edited:

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Thank! Not sure if I needed another website to spend money on :)
Also unsure why pini uses an older mature model for their suits which are quite fitted (read too tight? ) . This guy looks like a suitsupply model in 30 years ceteris paribus with regards to style
View attachment 1333148

I want to like pini parma so bad (mostly becasue I think they have great branding/brand identity lol) but I cannot get over the buttoning point, button looks like it's at the dude's sternum. I think their jacket lengths are like 1.5 inches shorter than Spier for the same size.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Final note - I'll be interested to see what The Rake does over time. I've already purchased their new flannel trousers which are priced competitively priced, compared to PP and S. I may just buy their 6x1 DB flannel too - the jacket is higher priced than any of these brands, but seems worth it to me because it's unique and a quality fabric.

IF YOU MADE IT THIS LONG - thank you for staying for my TedxTalk

You're the first person I've seen mentioned the Rake Tailored Garment.s Can you elaborate more on what you think of them? Pretty surprised they went DB-only for the first drop but I'm very interested in them

thx ina dvance

soto_nw

Reaction score
You're the first person I've seen mentioned the Rake Tailored Garment.s Can you elaborate more on what you think of them? Pretty surprised they went DB-only for the first drop but I'm very interested in them

thx ina dvance

I have not pulled the trigger on the DB yet, but from what I've seen it looks spectacular. Great 12 oz VBC Flannel which is not easy to find OTR. I think the jacket price is a bit high, but does not seem unreasonable to me. The pants I got are the same fabric and they are fantastic! I did have to let them out just a bit, but they really do fit well. I'd buy their pants again, and they are competitively priced in the PP price range - only caveat is that you may have to have it tailored a bit. I took it at my normal size (34 US/50 EU) and had to let it out just a bit (I'd say they were just a tiny bit tighter than my Suit Supply - and it was only really noticeable seated), had I gone a size up (36 US/52 EU) I would have likely got something a bit looser than how my PP (34 US/50 EU) fit.

Ultimately though I am very impressed by the Rake's limited selection. I think they nailed it with the trousers....if and when I get the matching jacket I'll provide an update.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
Since you're in Canada and you have easy access to SM I don't see why you would ever go to SS again unless there's a fabric you really like from SS.

I'm a 5-minute walk to SM. It's not an either-or decision. It's a better scenario to be in if you have multiple great options.

Considering everyone has different preferences, measurements, and needs, the more versatility you have in your options the better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics