• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SuitSupply shoes. Worth my bread?

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't really find any conclusive information whilst on the lurk, so SF, I am enlisting your help so that I can make an important decision:

I live in beautiful, sunny, over-priced Sydney, Australia; a City of elf-toed derby monstrosities, an Opera House that resembles a postmortem examination of Humpty Dumpty's cadaver and a big ol' IKEA in some industrial 'burb nobody notices on their way to the airport. Sydney, being excruciatingly expensive, in conjunction with its reputation for being a desolate wasteland in the quality/style department, I have been forced to search online.

I live in the inner-city, and have no money; so, please, help a brother out.

Does anyone have any experience with shoes from SuitSupply? I know they don't receive an overall SF tick of approval, but since I'm on an extremely stringent budget, and actually need some brown Oxford shoes for weddings/job interviews, advice would be greatly appreciated. The low, low price of these guys has me intrigued.

FYI, I sent an email enquiry regarding the details of the shoes. They don't supply a good view of the toe line from above, so I asked for one. Someone named Mirjam responded, saying that she couldn't provide a photograph, but said they were "round-toed" and Goodyear welted.

Many thanks,

And... GO!

Last edited:

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should've asked -- probably not. Also, like an idiot, I didn't ask if it was semi-aniline or pigmented or anything either. Besides, I'd prefer to get an objective response from someone who isn't on the payroll.

*Edit: On further inspection, they are corrected grain.

Last edited:

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
They are CG for sure. :uhoh:

Forgive me as I'm not familiar with which brands are readily available down under, at that price, you might want to consider Charles Tyrwhitt - a lot of their offerings are made by Loake and Barker, which you should also consider in their own right.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
I should add, several brands that make welted shoes offer CG shoes in their collections regularly. Corrected grain is not a term used in common parlance, instead these shoes can be described by SAs as Hi-Shine leather/Rub Off leather.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned any suit supply shoes, but I have examined a couple of pairs in one of their shops and I was not impressed. Better to follow northhampton novices advice. You might be able to get something for around that price in a sale, I have been very impressed by Herring Shoes and I believe they ship abroad.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are CG for sure.
uhoh.gif

Forgive me as I'm not familiar with which brands are readily available down under, at that price, you might want to consider Charles Tyrwhitt - a lot of their offerings are made by Loake and Barker, which you should also consider in their own right.

Believe me -- there's not much. And when their is, the mark-up is despicable.

I considered Tyrwhitt, but I think their website needs to be updated. There are only about five models live and online currently, and they're all too much of a stretch for me financially. I'm not sure that I'll be able to wait for ages.

I've perused Pediwear and Herring looking for some more reputable shoemakers -- Loake, Herring, Sanders. I think the Herring Kensington in Pecan Calf on the 026 last might be my best bet.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should add, several brands that make welted shoes offer CG shoes in their collections regularly. Corrected grain is not a term used in common parlance, instead these shoes can be described by SAs as Hi-Shine leather/Rub Off leather.

I would prefer something that's top grain, at least. Great advice, thanks.

I haven't owned any suit supply shoes, but I have examined a couple of pairs in one of their shops and I was not impressed. Better to follow northhampton novices advice. You might be able to get something for around that price in a sale, I have been very impressed by Herring Shoes and I believe they ship abroad.

Fair call. I can probably trust the quality and construction of Herring anyway.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
They are of course seconds- with that horrible creasing near the guarantors...I guess it might be worth asking Herrings what the particular flaw is on the seconds you'll be getting unless it's the one in the photograph.

If I was going to pull the trigger on those (and given your location I presume returning them wouldn't make sense due to postal charges) I would contact Herrings, ask about the flaw,if happy to proceed - I would tell them that I will not be returning the shoes and therefore could they take a further XX% off the sale price? 10% is the industry standard.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point -- I'm not especially cut up about the creasing. I'm young and nimble, so Sydney folk'll probably just assume it's a gesture of irony and nostalgia.

Do you think if I asked for free postage instead, that they might abide? Also, any other Oxford shoe recommendations, while the press is still hot?

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Do you think if I asked for free postage instead, that they might abide? Also, any other Oxford shoe recommendations, while the press is still hot?
You'll have to ask them - but somehow doubt it. Try one of the Ebay sellers UK, Salsalocust and Sausages they often have an endless supply of seconds...

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are of course seconds- with that horrible creasing near the guarantors...I guess it might be worth asking Herrings what the particular flaw is on the seconds you'll be getting unless it's the one in the photograph.
If I was going to pull the trigger on those (and given your location I presume returning them wouldn't make sense due to postal charges) I would contact Herrings, ask about the flaw,if happy to proceed - I would tell them that I will not be returning the shoes and therefore could they take a further XX% off the sale price? 10% is the industry standard.

Mind that these are not seconds but just on sale. If they were seconds it would have been mentioned on the details page instead of "sale price" it would state "seconds price".

Timmy L

Reaction score
I got a pair brown dres shoes and i used them twice a week for 3 years and just yesterday i notices that they are busted. I loved them and i am getting a new pair asap.
They were about 200 euros so pretty steep, but wel worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads