• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind paying for shipping, I am testing spier mackay now and I am using a forwarding company in the US - overall I will still pay less than the new price for a SS lazio is here in Switzerland (499USD now after the price hike!) I just pray that the same size in SS Lazio will be okey for SM Neapolitan fit, any experience here?
Yes. I took the same size in my SS vs. a Neapolitan suit. Caveat: This was on a v2 of the Neapolitan and I think they are on version 3, now. Have not tried on that iteration.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind paying for shipping, I am testing spier mackay now and I am using a forwarding company in the US - overall I will still pay less than the new price for a SS lazio is here in Switzerland (499USD now after the price hike!) I just pray that the same size in SS Lazio will be okey for SM Neapolitan fit, any experience here?
SM says their contemporary fit is the same as the SS Havana. Does this help?

Vinsep

Reaction score
V3 Neapolitan contemporary fit has about the same body(a bit longer) but longer sleeves compared to the Havana.

stuessi

Reaction score
thanks guys this helps alot. Should fit reasonably well then.

cakv

Reaction score
I'm just a bit of a beanpole. 6'2 76 kgs. Runner's physique, I guess. But apparently it's something tailors struggle with.

Really? Why is that? I'd think it's easier to work with than a body that has spent too much time at the gym, mass gaining.

This example notwithstanding, I want to say for all the SuitSupply customers out there that I think their MTM program is fantastic, provided you work with an experienced person. I will post a pic the next time I wear it but I hope more people share their finished garments as well to show the awesomeness.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Combination of factors, I suppose. Bigger guys probably also have trouble, but the further you stray from the mean in any direction, the more alterations you need. There are many opportunities to screw up. The problem is especially acute in MTM since the suit is being made to fit one person, whom the manufacturer never fits, instead of many.

Apart from that, the base MTM jacket for SuSu is short and has a high gorge, which cannot be altered. That is not especially flattering for the tall. So when you adjust the length and lower the button-stance, you throw off the proportions because the gorge remains the same.

I wish they would offer a more conservative version of the Washington (lower gorge, notch lapels, no ticket pocket, higher rise trousers). That's really the only OTR cut of theirs that works for me, even though I dislike the details and have to tailor the bejesus out of it. The Hudson (excuse me - HAVANA PLEATED) is okay, but even the 50L is too short and the button stance too high.

cf:
1020054.jpg
1020382.jpg

That shirt triangle sucks my will to live.

BlairW

Reaction score
@Michael81 the Washington definitely (as seen a few times previously) looks great on you. Agree that the details are far from ideal unfortunately. With MTM could you not ask them to make a Washington in the exact same cut but with, for example, notch lapels, no ticket pocket etc?

Similarly have you tried Jort? Lower button stance although gorge height basically the same

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you kindly.

Unfortunately no; you can't adjust a preexisting fit. You have to use the MTM model.

I'm skeptical of paying that much for a suit when you're still compromising on the details - the Jort trouser rise is awfully low, for example. Factor in tailoring costs and I'd basically be paying MTM prices anyway. A jacket could maybe work but they are sadly not available in long sizes.

BlairW

Reaction score
That frustrating, I didn’t realise Jort was not available on long sizing either. Back to the drawing board...

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a pity. I actually quite like both the Jort winter jackets. Oh well.

BlairW

Reaction score
I’m very lucky that Jort, and most Ss, fits me pretty well off the rack - feel for you guys that struggle to buy OTR especially when most other cost effective options are hit and miss at best.

Here’s hoping for a new Washington fit for you

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having stuff fit well OTR must be very nice. You are fortunate.

I'd be happy with the long-dead Washington half, actually. But peak lapels combined with everything else... it's just too much. It's why I don't buy much from SuSu anymore.

Thilgela

Reaction score
Combination of factors, I suppose. Bigger guys probably also have trouble, but the further you stray from the mean in any direction, the more alterations you need. There are many opportunities to screw up. The problem is especially acute in MTM since the suit is being made to fit one person, whom the manufacturer never fits, instead of many.

Apart from that, the base MTM jacket for SuSu is short and has a high gorge, which cannot be altered. That is not especially flattering for the tall. So when you adjust the length and lower the button-stance, you throw off the proportions because the gorge remains the same.

I wish they would offer a more conservative version of the Washington (lower gorge, notch lapels, no ticket pocket, higher rise trousers). That's really the only OTR cut of theirs that works for me, even though I dislike the details and have to tailor the bejesus out of it. The Hudson (excuse me - HAVANA PLEATED) is okay, but even the 50L is too short and the button stance too high.

cf:
View attachment 1031608 View attachment 1031609

That shirt triangle sucks my will to live.

The Washington looks great on you. It does strike me that the jacket must be longer than most people would prefer, but the proportion does look good in this length.

Just curious, do you have extremely long legs or are you just super tall in general?

BlairW

Reaction score
The Washington half always looked great although I never owned one. Peak lapel and patch pockets right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads