• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Unfortunately the lower back is unflatteringly tapered and tight, as with most things made from SuitSupply's preference of fit.

Yes, this is why i buy SS sportcoats. I have a more pronounced drop than most guys, and my rib cage tapers a lot from top to bottom. SS is the only brand I can wear off the rack. They look properly tailored on me. Still I use their custom program to eliminate collar roll and for fabric variety.

If their cuts don't suit your preferred fit, you could try S&M or another brand.

pomor

Reaction score
Thanks for tips. I think for now I’ll keep the jacket, even without alternations. The wrinkles that are there - I can live with that. Overally the front, shoulders etc. Is fine, which is most importnat for me. Maybe when I’ll be in few months ordering wedding suit, I’ll just add few additional centimeters in waist and hips as you suggested :)

Honestly, it could be a lot worse. Sometimes it's the angle at which the camera shoots that makes a huge difference in how it looks IRL. I would possibly wear wider, less tight pants to supplement the look. I agree, that ideally you would want the lower part of this jacket to be somewhat wider, but as you stated, if you can live with what you have now, I don't think most people around you would even dare criticize

TrustyGoose

Reaction score
Got a navy birds eye suit at suit supply this week—it’s getting altered now.

Just noticed the receipt has the pants and jacket as separate items and, upon further investigation, it turns out I was sold two separates? What’s going on with that? I thought the point of a suit was that the jacket and pants go together and are precisely the same fabric ….any insight into this practice? Have I been bamboozled?

papado

Reaction score
Got a navy birds eye suit at suit supply this week—it’s getting altered now.

Just noticed the receipt has the pants and jacket as separate items and, upon further investigation, it turns out I was sold two separates? What’s going on with that? I thought the point of a suit was that the jacket and pants go together and are precisely the same fabric ….any insight into this practice? Have I been bamboozled?

They offer certain fabrics as separates so people can mix/match sizes or buy extras should something wear out. I think they have so much cloth of the same dye lot you don't have to worry about different color/fabric when they're brand new. No bamboozling here.

TrustyGoose

Reaction score
They offer certain fabrics as separates so people can mix/match sizes or buy extras should something wear out. I think they have so much cloth of the same dye lot you don't have to worry about different color/fabric when they're brand new. No bamboozling here.
Got it—much appreciated! That makes me feel better.

hockeyhawk5

Reaction score
Considering pulling the trigger on multiple (probably a charcoal, navy, and light grey) suits from suit supply. Anyone aware of any potential discounts online and/or in store for ordering multiple suits at once?

St1X

Reaction score
Considering pulling the trigger on multiple (probably a charcoal, navy, and light grey) suits from suit supply. Anyone aware of any potential discounts online and/or in store for ordering multiple suits at once?
Suitsupply itself doesn't run any discounts.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I'm very interested in learning from the experience of others. What I'm not interested in is personal accounts touted as universal facts, claims without reasoning, or ad hominems.
I recently bought a size 48 Boglioli unstructured jacket online (second hand but unused), and to my dismay, it feels very restrictive in the arms and chest and the lapels fan out a lot if I try to button it.
It is cotton (I think pique to be specific) with 3% elastane for stretch, plus being unstructured it has no canvas - and yet, somehow, that doesn't seem to help at all.
I mean, it does stretch a little if I push it, but it feels like literally fighting against the fabric, it isn't comfortable at all.
And yet, I have 2 other pure wool unstructured jackets from Boglioli which are very comfortable. I tried comparing measurement and they are actually the same or even a touch narrower, yet the non stretch wool fits, the cotton stretch does not.
I also have a third jacket in pure cotton which fits, and again similar measurements, perhaps a touch larger in the chest.
Moral of the story: I don't know why the jacket didn't fit (I suspect it has to do with the sleeve head, which is hard to "measure"), but (artificial) stretch did nothing to resolve the issue.
And the three other that fit, fit well without needing help from elastane.

Last edited:

Jlee80

Reaction score
Just received two custom made suits from SS. Delivered in just over two weeks and they nailed the sizing an consistency. I’m really happy with how it turned out.

Viatu

Reaction score
Just received two custom made suits from SS. Delivered in just over two weeks and they nailed the sizing an consistency. I’m really happy with how it turned out.
Pictures?

Mirage-

Reaction score
I received a red linen shirt (my first shirt from SS) as well as a pair of linen Duca trousers (their new "relaxed fit").
I have to say, the linen cloths from Solbiati are absolutely stunning....unfortunately, the fit of the garments is not.
The linen shirt was:
1) with tails as long as my dress shirts exclusively meant for tucking in, while it claimed to be shorter to allow for both tucking in and out. Now, I don't particularly mind this part as I prefer to wear all my shirts tucked in anyway except those specifically made for summer with a short, preferably square hem.
2) sleeves were also a touch long, though I guess that's to be expected since I'm only 173cm (I wear 39/15.5)
3) Too large/boxy in the body, though I suppose darts could fix it that for a small expense.
4) Most importantly, it felt oddly constricting when moving the arms, it seems I had a lot of fabric bunching on top of the shoulder and yet too little around the shoulder blades. I spent like 20 minutes moving in it, until I realized the problem was probably the armhole. So I checked it against a (actually cheaper than SS's RTW!) MTM shirt I have and indeed, the armhole of their shirts are like 2,5 cm larger at least. The sleeve pitch also seemed off, though I know that high-end shirts often do use slightly rotated sleeves for supposedly better fit, except in this particular instance it didn't seem to help at all (possibly it even made it worse, but I can't really say).

It appears they decided to merge sizes in pairs so this is really an M (39-40/15.5-15.75''), and I guess that shows, though the collar was the one thing that felt perfect. I honestly can never understand why brands think this will work for any sort of expensive, sartorial shirt meant for tucking in, rather than always end up being a bad compromise (as opposed to, say, a very thick denim western shirt, or wool shirt/overshirt, where it might not be as evident).

The Duca trousers (in 48, my usual size) are really high-rise for once, in fact higher rise than anything I have including high-rise models from e.g. Berg&Berg, arriving well above my belly button (though there's no way they stay there, currently, even with tightening the side tabs, which btw don't seem to work super well).
The waist is indeed large (sized for my hips basically), the seat seems maybe just slightly large, the leg is huge (like 24.5cm at hem but also large all throughout the thigh).
I'm trying to decide whether I should alter the waist and the leg (to a more reasonable 20cm), or size down first, or just give up altogether on the model, as while tapering will fix the knee and below to a more regular fit, I am honestly not quite sure if the resulting upper thigh will still be too large i.e. the trouser will look very tapered rather than straight as I'd want.
I guess I should have taken some photos, maybe later.

Last edited:

duckfriend99

Reaction score
does anyone know if its possible to widen suit supply pants?
My usual size is a 50, but a 48 also fits well everywhere aside from the waist.

So i was wondering, is it possible to widen the waist to make it similar to a 50?
(The product i want isnt available in size 50 which is why im asking)

TheSupplier

Reaction score
The waist can easily go from 48 to 50. There’s extra space in the back of the pant for this.

StartingStyle

Reaction score
I received a red linen shirt (my first shirt from SS) as well as a pair of linen Duca trousers (their new "relaxed fit").
I have to say, the linen cloths from Solbiati are absolutely stunning....unfortunately, the fit of the garments is not.
The linen shirt was:
1) with tails as long as my dress shirts exclusively meant for tucking in, while it claimed to be shorter to allow for both tucking in and out. Now, I don't particularly mind this part as I prefer to wear all my shirts tucked in anyway except those specifically made for summer with a short, preferably square hem.
2) sleeves were also a touch long, though I guess that's to be expected since I'm only 173cm (I wear 39/15.5)
3) Too large/boxy in the body, though I suppose darts could fix it that for a small expense.
4) Most importantly, it felt oddly constricting when moving the arms, it seems I had a lot of fabric bunching on top of the shoulder and yet too little around the shoulder blades. I spent like 20 minutes moving in it, until I realized the problem was probably the armhole. So I checked it against a (actually cheaper than SS's RTW!) MTM shirt I have and indeed, the armhole of their shirts are like 2,5 cm larger at least. The sleeve pitch also seemed off, though I know that high-end shirts often do use slightly rotated sleeves for supposedly better fit, except in this particular instance it didn't seem to help at all (possibly it even made it worse, but I can't really say).

It appears they decided to merge sizes in pairs so this is really an M (39-40/15.5-15.75''), and I guess that shows, though the collar was the one thing that felt perfect. I honestly can never understand why brands think this will work for any sort of expensive, sartorial shirt meant for tucking in, rather than always end up being a bad compromise (as opposed to, say, a very thick denim western shirt, or wool shirt/overshirt, where it might not be as evident).

The Duca trousers (in 48, my usual size) are really high-rise for once, in fact higher rise than anything I have including high-rise models from e.g. Berg&Berg, arriving well above my belly button (though there's no way they stay there, currently, even with tightening the side tabs, which btw don't seem to work super well).
The waist is indeed large (sized for my hips basically), the seat seems maybe just slightly large, the leg is huge (like 24.5cm at hem but also large all throughout the thigh).
I'm trying to decide whether I should alter the waist and the leg (to a more reasonable 20cm), or size down first, or just give up altogether on the model, as while tapering will fix the knee and below to a more regular fit, I am honestly not quite sure if the resulting upper thigh will still be too large i.e. the trouser will look very tapered rather than straight as I'd want.
I guess I should have taken some photos, maybe later.
Had the same experience with the Duca. The other relaxed fit sortino is one I really enjoy. I wear it a lot in casual environments

Mirage-

Reaction score
Had the same experience with the Duca. The other relaxed fit sortino is one I really enjoy. I wear it a lot in casual environments
Thanks for he tip. I think I'd like it, if only there was anything in it in the EU shop atm besides a single navy cotton (which I really don't need). But will keep an eye out for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads