• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would steer away from SuitSupply ties. Despite being 8cm wide at the widest, they are not bottled, so they seem much narrower than they are. They also don't make pretty knots and don't feel particularly nice.
I'm also saying this as a guy who refuses to spend a lot of money on ties, and prefer to buy ties on sale and get my money's worth, so I'm no tie-snob.

I would say that S&M ties are a much better choice than SuitSupply's, although they range in design and quality.
I have the same experience with SuSus ties. As someone who frequents second hand shops, you can quite easily find some good ties for no money at all there. Best of luck!

kithking23

Reaction score
For ties tbh, I would go to violamilano and go on their sale, it’s usually the same price as susu but much better. I live in the us and usually I can get ties shipped 80$

RavenBespoke

Reaction score
Out of all their ties, I've actually enjoyed their grenadines. I had two lined grenadines from Chipp that had a great hand, but the lining made tying an attractive four-in-hand difficult. SuSu's grenadines are unlined, so for me this solved the problem.

A caveat is that after their price increases, the value to price ratio has diminished a bit. If you're willing to dole out the extra cash, you can snag some great neckwear from Shibumi Firenze (grenadine and otherwise). They've been a mainstay in my rotation for almost a decade 👍

Verve

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

I’ve been upgrading my ties with Sam Hobers for the last 2 years (somewhere around 20 or more ties). Once in a blue moon, I’ll find a nice tie at a local thrift for $2-$5 as well.

The SuSu tie that caught my eye was the brown striped tie (with white diagonal dashed lines) at $99. I should have tried tying it to see how it ties. Guess I’ll have to stop by next time to do it. The design and fabric was very interesting in person though. Seems like brown is the fashion color of all the department stores this season including SuSu, which is nice to see as I rotate my suits from shades of brown, navy, and grey.

E3831E46-2C1B-4388-975C-13BB179F18A8.png

St1X

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

I’ve been upgrading my ties with Sam Hobers for the last 2 years (somewhere around 20 or more ties). Once in a blue moon, I’ll find a nice tie at a local thrift for $2-$5 as well.

The SuSu tie that caught my eye was the brown striped tie (with white diagonal dashed lines) at $99. I should have tried tying it to see how it ties. Guess I’ll have to stop by next time to do it. The design and fabric was very interesting in person though. Seems like brown is the fashion color of all the department stores this season including SuSu, which is nice to see as I rotate my suits from shades of brown, navy, and grey.

View attachment 1863719
😮 for 99$ I'd expect a hand rolled edges.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested, I emailed Marling & Evans and they said they stopped producing the fabric that ripped years ago.

However they sent me a full catalogue of what they can offer now which was really kind of them. They said I can also purchase the fabric and give it to a tailor to make something for me.

There is one rather similar but it's not exactly the same. It's also Silk/Wool and not linen blend.

Thoughts? I guess if I really wanted I could make a whole suit out of this instead.

Sample.jpeg

A-Lawson

Reaction score
For anyone interested, I emailed Marling & Evans and they said they stopped producing the fabric that ripped years ago.

However they sent me a full catalogue of what they can offer now which was really kind of them. They said I can also purchase the fabric and give it to a tailor to make something for me.

There is one rather similar but it's not exactly the same. It's also Silk/Wool and not linen blend.

Thoughts? I guess if I really wanted I could make a whole suit out of this instead.

View attachment 1864632
Fabric looks very nice, but I would personally never make trousers in fragile fabrics such as cashmere or silk unless it's like 5-10%. I think it would make for a beautiful jacket, though. No doubt!

With a weight of 280g at almost 30% silk, it must feel a bit substantial? Fall/spring fabric?
Here you go, went in store specifically to look at the fresco myself, before you posted this question. FYI It's much darker IRL.
Thank you, and thank you for taking the time to post this!

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
How much does armhole height and armhole size differ when going up one size?

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
When you go to the Custom option on their website and end up at "sizes" then you can see what the default measurements are.
I don't think the custom option displays the arm hole size and the arm hole height in cm. They only provide the option to increase them relative a reference point, which reference point is unknown unless you go into a physical store and try a garment. I tried a 52 sports coat but the armhole size is way too small - rather it needed to be equivalent to the armhole size of a 56 sports coat. I think I have to trial and error this.

tilesomoole

Reaction score
I think I have to trial and error this.

If you've got one close enough, trying them on and/or measuring them at a store would be the best option, I would think. There's also an outside chance that the salesman could have some helpful insight.

nevaeh

Reaction score
If you've got one close enough, trying them on and/or measuring them at a store would be the best option, I would think. There's also an outside chance that the salesman could have some helpful insight.
I agree—going in-person and demanding a more “classic” fit, instead of the skin tight fits they do by default, has been a recipe for some success.

I have been tinkering with their online size passport and recently had a successful trouser order.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads