• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
I have a pair of their trousers in grey woolen circular flannel. The material is very comfortable, but I teared the crotch quite quickly. As a Dutchman, I do cycle a lot, so this probably contributed to the blowout. I think the blowout happened after wearing the trousers fifteen times. In the SuSu shop, they've told there's nothing the tailors could do about it. So I did the job myself and zigzagged an old grey cotton t-shirt to fix the gap:

View attachment 1862065
View attachment 1862066
View attachment 1862069

ymmv, but in my opinion it's not very hard wearing.
Are they on the tighter side? I usually try to go for something in-between (not baggy, nor too slim).

The only pair of flannels that I’ve blown out the crotch on is a couple of pairs from a local Swedish brand. They’re very slim though. I have older flannels from SuitSupply (from 2019) that are still like new. I don’t do any cycling though, so that might be the culprit in your case.

I’m thinking about commissioning a couple of pairs, hence my earlier question. But I guess that their circular flannels are suitable for trousers and not just a jacket fabric, as discussed earlier by a couple of participants in the thread?

archipel

Reaction score
I also cycle quite a bit and are hesitant to wear tailored pants, because indeed I think you can tear right through it. I haven't had any tears yet. Might also depend on your saddle / riding posture, whether it rubs more or less.

The jacket I’ll keep for sure! But other full suits I want to sell. Thanks!

Send me a PM with info!

sansimeon

Reaction score
I’ve been riding my bike to work for years wearing anything from thin WSL blends to flannel. Never had a crotch blowout. Elbow wear is actually a bigger issue for me :-D

Btw I also walk a lot. If you ask me, crotch wear is a fit related issue. No rubbing = no wear.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
As a Dutchman, I do cycle a lot, so this probably contributed to the blowout.
I think it's fair to say that cycling is a sport. If you want your tailored clothing to last, don't do sports in them..?
Cavalry twill and (heavy) tweed will hold up better if you have no other option.

I have many trousers in both the circular wool at 340g from VBC, and the 360g woolen flannel from VBC/Drapers and have worn them excessively (although not for sporty activities). They show no sign of wear, except some wrinkles that I iron out when needed, which is rare. In all fairness, and as mentioned previously in this thread; the flannel gets fluffier and more comfortable with time, actually.

Sure, it's not equal to Fox Flannel at 400g and up, but it's still pretty good value at the price-points and holds up pretty well.

Kudos for the creativity on the repair, though!👍

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that cycling is a sport.
So is walking. I say it is fair to say that cycling is a means of transportation. If it is a good idea to do it in your flannel trousers, well that is another story.

notdos

Reaction score
SuSu, in my opinion, assumes that a patterned suit, or a suit in an unusual color, is being worn in an extensive rotation of more traditionally colored suits. In other words, an “odd” suit is going to be more memorable, so only going to be worn a few times a year.

And, at a price of say, $700, and a lifespan of 20 wears, it’s going to last 5 years in a larger rotation, and be a reasonable value.
I definitely can’t rent it for $35 a wear.

Phillip 👍

archipel

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that cycling is a sport.

I think this is a point of cultural differences. In The Netherlands, Denmark and other countries cycling is not a (only) a sport but transportation. I see people cycling in their suit with their leather bag around their shoulders every day.

St1X

Reaction score
I think this is a point of cultural differences. In The Netherlands, Denmark and other countries cycling is not a (only) a sport but transportation. I see people cycling in their suit with their leather bag around their shoulders every day.
That's because of communism in these countries people can't even afford to buy a public transportation pass :D

nmkef

Reaction score
All I know is, with how I typically like to have my trousers fit, the typical movement of cycling would 100% destroy any and all suit/trouser fabrics 😂😂 (maybe besides those absurdly ****** "athleisure" suits you see IG ads for)

A-Lawson

Reaction score
So is walking. I say it is fair to say that cycling is a means of transportation. If it is a good idea to do it in your flannel trousers, well that is another story.
I'm not going to delve into a discussion on terminology, but let's agree that bikes reduces the lifespan of your clothes more so than walking, even if you're racewalking.

Verve

Reaction score
Hey all. I’ve never bought anything from SuSu before, but have my eye on a particular tie I saw when I was killing time at a mall with the family. Does SuSu ever run occasional sales throughout the year, similar to Spier & McKay? Thanks in advance.

St1X

Reaction score
Their ties are inexpensive, so one should not hope for a sale

TomTom

Reaction score
They obviously didn't weave the fabric. Crotch area as always. Marling & Evans wool/silk/linen
I always, always ask for a silk saddle in my trousers because otherwise I end with trousers like that. It is something every tailor knows how to do and in London they charge around £40 pounds tops (sometimes less).

A-Lawson

Reaction score
Hey all. I’ve never bought anything from SuSu before, but have my eye on a particular tie I saw when I was killing time at a mall with the family. Does SuSu ever run occasional sales throughout the year, similar to Spier & McKay? Thanks in advance.
I would steer away from SuitSupply ties. Despite being 8cm wide at the widest, they are not bottled, so they seem much narrower than they are. They also don't make pretty knots and don't feel particularly nice.
I'm also saying this as a guy who refuses to spend a lot of money on ties, and prefer to buy ties on sale and get my money's worth, so I'm no tie-snob.

I would say that S&M ties are a much better choice than SuitSupply's, although they range in design and quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads