• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
I've worn my camel overcoat seasonally since 2019 and it's kept up well. I really like it, but have never compared it to other brands.
Thanks for replying! Does it keep you warm? Wished it was a bit heavier (think it’s at 470g). Also, do you find it easy to wear (perhaps more causally, without a jacket beneath)? A bit worried that it might attract dirt a bit too easily.

nmkef

Reaction score
I wear it more often casually and it's very versatile. Single breasted is the style I have, not sure if you were looking at a DB. I find it's fairly warm and can throw it on without other layers into the 40s/50s range no problem, though I run warm haha. Sales rep in LA mentioned his DB camel was a bit too hot in fact.

Sonny8

Reaction score
I wear it more often casually and it's very versatile. Single breasted is the style I have, not sure if you were looking at a DB. I find it's fairly warm and can throw it on without other layers into the 40s/50s range no problem, though I run warm haha. Sales rep in LA mentioned his DB camel was a bit too hot in fact.
How did you size on the coat? Would the same size as your suit actually fit a suit underneath or would one need to size up for the coat? Thanks!

Baked Potato

Reaction score
As mentioned, I'm thinking about a classic polo coat, which is double breasted. Attaching a photo below from the cofigurator.

40 degrees Fahrenheit isn't really considered cold up here. -10 celcius is rather normal here during winter.

Skärmavbild 2022-09-25 kl. 15.42.34.png

A-Lawson

Reaction score
As mentioned, I'm thinking about a classic polo coat, which is double breasted. Attaching a photo below from the cofigurator.

40 degrees Fahrenheit isn't really considered cold up here. -10 celcius is rather normal here during winter.

View attachment 1836783
470gr will be cold for -10 degrees celsius. I would go heavier if you want a coat for staying warm.

SuitSupply coats are also very short, so you should probably get the extended length and have it adjusted in length when you receive it, since it adds 25cm which is quite a lot. The regular-length polo coats look like peacoats in my opinion.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
470gr will be cold for -10 degrees celsius. I would go heavier if you want a coat for staying warm.

SuitSupply coats are also very short, so you should probably get the extended length and have it adjusted in length when you receive it, since it adds 25cm which is quite a lot. The regular-length polo coats look like peacoats in my opinion.
Here's a photo of me testing an SS' polo coat (Merano fit) last week in size 46. The lenght seems fine, I think. Don't want it too long either, as I'm not that tall (rather averege height over here).

Unfortunately, they didn't have any heavier camel fabrics available other than the one pictured in my last post. What weight would you recommend for a Nordic winter? I thought that camel hair is more insulating than regular wool and that the weight wouldn't be an issue.

IMG_6141.jpg

A-Lawson

Reaction score
Here's a photo of me testing an SS' polo coat (Merano fit) last week in size 46. The lenght seems fine, I think. Don't want it too long either, as I'm not that tall (rather averege height over here).

Unfortunately, they didn't have any heavier camel fabrics available other than the one pictured in my last post. What weight would you recommend for a Nordic winter? I thought that camel hair is more insulating than regular wool and that the weight wouldn't be an issue.

View attachment 1836784
That length fine on you, I agree. Most other guys (and the models on the website) I see with the SS coats have them end at mid-thigh, which looks too modern for my taste.

Camel and wool are about the same in terms of warmth, although Camel may have a slight edge. Anything below 500 if it's wool or camel is fine for fall and early spring (except cashmere and beyond luxury fabrics, because their insulating properties per gram differs). A cashmere coat around 450-500 grams will be quite warm, even in the winter, but not nearly as durable.

For Nordic winters I would go for English fabrics, honestly. Tweed or heavy flannel at 600 to 750 is ideal. Flannel below 600 will be slightly cold in the coldest of the winter months.

This is all, of course, given that you're not wearing a really heavy and warm suit underneath the coat. ;)

Baked Potato

Reaction score
That length fine on you, I agree. Most other guys (and the models on the website) I see with the SS coats have them end at mid-thigh, which looks too modern for my taste.

Camel and wool are about the same in terms of warmth, although Camel may have a slight edge. Anything below 500 if it's wool or camel is fine for fall and early spring (except cashmere and beyond luxury fabrics, because their insulating properties per gram differs). A cashmere coat around 450-500 grams will be quite warm, even in the winter, but not nearly as durable.

For Nordic winters I would go for English fabrics, honestly. Tweed or heavy flannel at 600 to 750 is ideal. Flannel below 600 will be slightly cold in the coldest of the winter months.

This is all, of course, given that you're not wearing a really heavy and warm suit underneath the coat. ;)
What a shame. Would love to have a classic polo coat designed like above. Going for another MtM brand might be a bit too expensive if choosing a camel hair fabric.

I have a heavier wool coat at about 590g which I love. Perfect weight. If they just had a natural camel hair fabric at that weight, it'd be perfect.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
What a shame. Would love to have a classic polo coat designed like above. Going for another MtM brand might be a bit too expensive if choosing a camel hair fabric.

I have a heavier wool coat at about 590g which I love. Perfect weight. If they just had a natural camel hair fabric at that weight, it'd be perfect.
Spier & Mackay's Ulster coats are coming back in stock soon, and I believe they are bringing back their camel one as well, like last year. Same fabric as this: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/camel----woolcashmere-l1782560-ia-230-dblboc-fw21

At 15% cashmere, it should be equivalent to a 590-600 gram wool coat, I believe.

nmkef

Reaction score
Yea I'm taking it on trips to places in low 30s and need to wear a Uniqlo down underneath to stay warm. I think you'll need something heavier or just expect to layer... But maybe the DB will be enough for at least the freezing threshold

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Spier & Mackay's Ulster coats are coming back in stock soon, and I believe they are bringing back their camel one as well, like last year. Same fabric as this: https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/camel----woolcashmere-l1782560-ia-230-dblboc-fw21

At 15% cashmere, it should be equivalent to a 590-600 gram wool coat, I believe.
Not really what I'm looking for. Lacks the folded cuffs the original polo coat has and I'd prefer a pure camel hair fabric. I'll look around and check if there are any other MtM brands that produces the model I have in mind. Otherwise I might just have to layer...

A-Lawson

Reaction score
Not really what I'm looking for. Lacks the folded cuffs the original polo coat has and I'd prefer a pure camel hair fabric. I'll look around and check if there are any other MtM brands that produces the model I have in mind. Otherwise I might just have to layer...
It's not the same coat, but the same fabric.
Here's a picture of it:
SpierAndMackayFW21_CamelAlster_43244-Edit.jpg

St1X

Reaction score
You have to ask SuSu if they can source heavier camel fabric. Their in house fabrics are quite lightweight, since all of them come from Italy. But they can source fabrics from a lot of other mills. They say it will take an extra week to produce an item with external fabric.
P.S. I own camel and Cashmere coats from Suitsupply and I don't wear them during winters in Stockholm - too cold

Baked Potato

Reaction score
It's not the same coat, but the same fabric.
Here's a picture of it:
View attachment 1836807
Thanks, but it's quite an ordeal to order from the US (taxes, customs etc.). Also, the fabric isn't camel hair.

You have to ask SuSu if they can source heavier camel fabric. Their in house fabrics are quite lightweight, since all of them come from Italy. But they can source fabrics from a lot of other mills. They say it will take an extra week to produce an item with external fabric.
P.S. I own camel and Cashmere coats from Suitsupply and I don't wear them during winters in Stockholm - too cold
Already asked them. They showed me their cut length fabrics, but no natural coloured camel hair fabrics in heavier weights, I'm afraid.

St1X

Reaction score
Anyone knows what's the weight of SuSu's 60% llama 40% wool overcoat cloth from Piacenza?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads