• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

archipel

Reaction score
I like how they tell you, in bold no less, that models are wearing altered garments. I mean, I'm sure we've all realized most brands often do this for models (not always though, sometimes I've been puzzled with seeing things that don't even fit their own model in basic places), but it's rarely specified.
Although my personal favourite is a couple of looks I've seen (I think from Artisan Lab) with near-ankle pants on the model, and a note in the description saying "the pants have been altered for the model, they are full length", almost seeming to acknowledge that their own modeled look was in fact bad and could scare customers away.

I think they do it to drive people to Custom Made.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
I like how they tell you, in bold no less, that models are wearing altered garments. I mean, I'm sure we've all realized most brands often do this for models (not always though, sometimes I've been puzzled with seeing things that don't even fit their own model in basic places), but it's rarely specified.
Although my personal favourite is a couple of looks I've seen (I think from Artisan Lab) with near-ankle pants on the model, and a note in the description saying "the pants have been altered for the model, they are full length", almost seeming to acknowledge that their own modeled look was in fact bad and could scare customers away.
Should be a given that you would make most garments look as appealing as possible through alterations, but I do question SS styling decisions a lot of the time. Skinny fit is not a good look. Luckily, how they choose to style their models doesn't hinder me in getting the look I want.
I think they do it to drive people to Custom Made.
Not sure if it was solely a strategy for profit or for the good of us all. ?

Mirage-

Reaction score
Should be a given that you would make most garments look as appealing as possible through alterations, but I do question SS styling decisions a lot of the time. Skinny fit is not a good look. Luckily, how they choose to style their models doesn't hinder me in getting the look I want.

Not sure if it was solely a strategy for profit or for the good of us all. ?
I don't like their styling either usually. Sleeves way too short, and often pants too.
But yes, that's not really a problem as you can hem them however you want.
However, it does make me not trust their stylists for custom made as much as I'd like.
I also kind of hate the vibe their white model gives, not sure why but he just comes off as a pretentious jerk to me (I know, complete assumption with no evidence).

Mirage-

Reaction score
Can I not say I dislike their model's body language, while talking about how they model things? Why do people get triggered by everything...
Whether you like it or not, a model's body language is part of marketing.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I not say I dislike their model's body language, while talking about how they model things? Why do people get triggered by everything...
Whether you like it or not, a model's body language is part of marketing.
You can say whatever you want. I just don't see the value of mentioning it. Anyway, I do agree that their styling is abysmal comparing with other brands in the same ballpark.

Mirage-

Reaction score
You can say whatever you want. I just don't see the value of mentioning it.
I was mostly curious in understanding whether that was only my impression, or if it had the same effect on others.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was mostly curious in understanding whether that was only my impression, or if it had the same effect on others.
I don't really focus on the models' faces when I browse for clothes. He looks quite neutral to me

Sellidor

Reaction score
Does anyone have a particular rep in Suitsupply's London stores who they recommend for M2M?
I did a M2M suit with them a few years ago but found the process frustrating because the rep was pretty useless and quit halfway through the process.
Cheers

I'm also in London - did you ever find someone?

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Any new info on adjustable lapel widths? I really want something wider than the normal width, but not as wide as their wide option. Something in-between would be perfect.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
Any new info on adjustable lapel widths? I really want something wider than the normal width, but not as wide as their wide option. Something in-between would be perfect.
You could try the 2.5 (3-roll-2) buttoning option with the widest notch lapel.
In my opinion it looks way more balanced than the standard 2 button jackets, especially with a good roll.

Subtle difference, but I prefer how much more of the breast pocket is shown.
(Just noticed the pictures came out mirrored, so keep that in mind).

2-button:

000001.jpg
000004.jpg

2.5-button:
000002.jpg
000003.jpg

Baked Potato

Reaction score
You could try the 2.5 (3-roll-2) buttoning option with the widest notch lapel.
In my opinion it looks way more balanced than the standard 2 button jackets, especially with a good roll.

Subtle difference, but I prefer how much more of the breast pocket is shown.
(Just noticed the pictures came out mirrored, so keep that in mind).

2-button:

View attachment 1690433 View attachment 1690434

2.5-button:
View attachment 1690435 View attachment 1690436

I do agree that the 2/3 roll looks much more balanced, although it might still be a bit too wide for someone with a smaller frame like me. I wonder why the lapel widths differ depending on the buttoning options? It's pretty clear that the chest pocket is more covered on the regular two button jacket.

A-Lawson

Reaction score
I do agree that the 2/3 roll looks much more balanced, although it might still be a bit too wide for someone with a smaller frame like me. I wonder why the lapel widths differ depending on the buttoning options? It's pretty clear that the chest pocket is more covered on the regular two button jacket.
I understand. Might be worth the try though, could just return it either way. ?

I lack the vocabulary to give a good explanation other than the buttoning point being slightly higher up, so they shape up differently. At the gorge you can see they're nearly at the same width.
I also find them much easier to give a good roll, that makes a bit of a difference too.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like their styling either usually. Sleeves way too short, and often pants too.
But yes, that's not really a problem as you can hem them however you want.
However, it does make me not trust their stylists for custom made as much as I'd like.
I also kind of hate the vibe their white model gives, not sure why but he just comes off as a pretentious jerk to me (I know, complete assumption with no evidence).
I wouldn't go so far as to say he comes across as a pretentious jerk, but there is a certain smugness to his look that turns me off. It's just his inherent look, he could be a nice guy, but it's unfortunate. I also find his in-between facial hair kind of annoying. But SS seems to love him. He's been their go-to guy for a while now. I believe I read somewhere that he's from Europe, maybe Belgian or something. And in those ads where he and a girl were basically licking each other, that was his actual girlfriend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads