• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SuSu DB
IMG_20210622_123034.jpg
IMG_20210622_123137_edit_340661648905.jpg

jensencastro

Reaction score
Need help on buying my first suit on a budget this year for a wedding later this year.

The least expensive fabric that I'm eyeing in CMS is the Navy Pure Tropical Wool from VBC (595.201/8). Was wondering how this compares to SuSu's Pure Wool offerings that's also from VBC. I live in the Philippines, hot and humid, so I guess it kinda made sense for me to pick a fabric that has the name "Tropical" in it? And plus the fact that it's the cheapest option. Totaled at $498 w/o shipping.

A photo of an actual suit made w/ the Navy Pure Tropical Wool would also be much appreciated. Cheers!

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 177

RavenBespoke

Reaction score
Need help on buying my first suit on a budget this year for a wedding later this year.

The least expensive fabric that I'm eyeing in CMS is the Navy Pure Tropical Wool from VBC (595.201/8). Was wondering how this compares to SuSu's Pure Wool offerings that's also from VBC. I live in the Philippines, hot and humid, so I guess it kinda made sense for me to pick a fabric that has the name "Tropical" in it? And plus the fact that it's the cheapest option. Totaled at $498 w/o shipping.

A photo of an actual suit made w/ the Navy Pure Tropical Wool would also be much appreciated. Cheers!

Tropical wool is lighter woven more loosely than standard wool, which allows for much better breathability. It does have a somewhat coarser texture, unless you get one woven as an S120. But that's a more significant upcharge for about $738 before shipping, which is above budget tier. Having seen both tropicals from VBC in store, the S120s does have a somewhat looser weave which could be better suited to an outdoor wedding. If the wedding is mostly indoors (hopefully with some A/C), the standard tropical should be ok.

I can try and post photos tomorrow to show the difference :thumbs-up:

jensencastro

Reaction score
Tropical wool is lighter woven more loosely than standard wool, which allows for much better breathability. It does have a somewhat coarser texture, unless you get one woven as an S120. But that's a more significant upcharge for about $738 before shipping, which is above budget tier. Having seen both tropicals from VBC in store, the S120s does have a somewhat looser weave which could be better suited to an outdoor wedding. If the wedding is mostly indoors (hopefully with some A/C), the standard tropical should be ok.

I can try and post photos tomorrow to show the difference :thumbs-up:

Thanks for the reply and added info! I'd love to get the 120 Tropicals but like you said it is a significant upcharge.

Is it significantly coarser or negligible? I could compromise for a premade standard navy VBC wool that SuSu's already offering but not sure which one to pick yet. This is in part because I haven't seen the Navy VBC Tropicals in photos to compare color/shade.

Was eyeing for a navy shade exactly like this one, but this is $999 ?

A photo of the fabric would really help out, cheers man!
Screenshot_20210626-143307_Gallery.jpg

Shetterd

Reaction score

Not to derail this thread but SF affiliate vendor Cavour currently has a 50% sale on. You can pick up a full canvas hightwist jacket and trousers for 440€.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Does the $10 upcharge for custom made suit buttons imply horn or MOP buttons (even if not explicitly labeled as such)?

Attachments

• mtm suit buttons.PNG
    mtm suit buttons.PNG
    758.7 KB · Views: 219

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and added info! I'd love to get the 120 Tropicals but like you said it is a significant upcharge.

Is it significantly coarser or negligible? I could compromise for a premade standard navy VBC wool that SuSu's already offering but not sure which one to pick yet. This is in part because I haven't seen the Navy VBC Tropicals in photos to compare color/shade.

Was eyeing for a navy shade exactly like this one, but this is $999 ?

A photo of the fabric would really help out, cheers man! View attachment 1630605
Is it just me or is anyone else tired of this guy (the clothing model)?

pomor

Reaction score
How about that summer outlet sale that never came?

Yeah, it's "generally" in the 20s of July. It usually ends by about the 25th of July, and in the beginning of August (1-2 weeks after outlet closes) the fall season pieces start appearing in the early preview of fall / winter campaign

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick snap of the linen brown single pleat shorts. Quite happy with them. Got my usual 38

0053392B-B317-4118-9489-72550663CBA3.jpeg

N-tc

Reaction score
Yeah, it's "generally" in the 20s of July. It usually ends by about the 25th of July, and in the beginning of August (1-2 weeks after outlet closes) the fall season pieces start appearing in the early preview of fall / winter campaign

It seems like their EU sale webpage is under service and requires a new password/username to access it. This could mean that a private sale is in the pipeline.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads