• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
You should really go into the store to get fitted, and they should get you what you want. You can also see those fabrics in person to decide for yourself which one you prefer.

The button fly is fine. The button fly feels more "special", but then you have to redo like 3 buttons when you go to the bathroom or whatever.
Oh I absolutely am going to the store to get fitted in person and I have already seen the VBC fabric in person, not the Reda which I’ll see in person next time. Thanks for the button fly info, I am definitely leaning toward that unless someone has a good reason not to.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh I absolutely am going to the store to get fitted in person and I have already seen the VBC fabric in person, not the Reda which I’ll see in person next time. Thanks for the button fly info, I am definitely leaning toward that unless someone has a good reason not to.

There's not reason not to do the button fly. Have at it man.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
There's not reason not to do the button fly. Have at it man.
Sorry maybe I wasn’t being clear. I agree that’s not a reason to avoid button fly. I’m still doing button fly at the moment. I meant if someone else had major issues with the make or something.

Jlee80

Reaction score
I’ve seen the dark gray Reda fabric.. I think it looks good for the price.

another question for those who have done the custom made from scratch... is it based of the “Lazio la spalla” fit, which I have been told is different than the standard Lazio fit. If so, did you like it? Did you go soft shoulder and did you like that? Would you go SuitSupply or Spier and Mackay moving forward?

Baked Potato

Reaction score
What do you guys think about their half canvas option? Thinking about a navy cotton jacket, but don't want to spend too much on it. I always go for full canvas, but I don't know if it'll make such a great difference on a cotton jacket? Also, what lining option would you guys recommend for a cotton jacket?

sansimeon

Reaction score
What do you guys think about their half canvas option? Thinking about a navy cotton jacket, but don't want to spend too much on it. I always go for full canvas, but I don't know if it'll make such a great difference on a cotton jacket? Also, what lining option would you guys recommend for a cotton jacket?

Unlined, no canvas. Cotton jackets look best casual imo.

tnd

Reaction score
noticed they just put up single collar shirt for pre-order but doesn't ship until October..way too long of a wait.

zurich64

Reaction score
I have a full canvas cotton jacket from suitesupply and like it. Mine is butterfly/quarter line, or on sleeves and near shoulder. Full line would be too hot to get the most use out of it.
Go for light canvas option, full or half, this makes a difference in summer, and jacket feels lighter.

adrianvo

Reaction score
I’ve seen the dark gray Reda fabric.. I think it looks good for the price.

another question for those who have done the custom made from scratch... is it based of the “Lazio la spalla” fit, which I have been told is different than the standard Lazio fit. If so, did you like it? Did you go soft shoulder and did you like that? Would you go SuitSupply or Spier and Mackay moving forward?
I wasn't aware that custom jackets made a different Lazio fit, but I can only comment on the custom one's fit.

Obviously people's bodies are different, so even if it fits me great that says nothing for others. Gotta try it yourself.
I think the best thing about it is the waist and sleeves. A lot of OTR fits make skinny-ass-hell waists and sleeves, and as someone who works out I can actually bend my elbow without discomfort and without it looking too big. I think it looks very correct in terms of proportions.

I always pick structured shoulders, as I dont like natural shoulders, and I dont think SS makes great pleated shoulders. I also prefer the masculine look of heavily padded shoulders.

I never liked Spier & Mackay, but I guess it works for some people. I also have the option of getting much wider lapels at SS, than what S&M can offer. I don't mind getting another suit or two from SS, but if I'm getting a double-breasted suit I'll be getting it elsewhere at another MTM locally. I think the peak lapels of DB suits from SS could be improved somewhat in terms of design. I prefer them a bit elongated like suits from Edward Sexton, Maximillian Mogg, RLPL, etc.

Notch lapel suits from SS with the Lazio fit is absolutely great though.

Last edited:

zurich64

Reaction score
No canvas is pretty much the same price wise as full canvas. As I said, don't want to pay that much for a cotton jacket.
The lightweight 2 ply canvas is barely noticeable and provides structure to the jacket and molds up nicely with wear.

Personally, I prefer butterfly lining in all jackets, especially cotton and linen, as without lining in arms, it is difficult to get the jackets on and off, and a no-canvas, unlined jacket becomes more like an overshirt.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
The lightweight 2 ply canvas is barely noticeable and provides structure to the jacket and molds up nicely with wear.

Personally, I prefer butterfly lining in all jackets, especially cotton and linen, as without lining in arms, it is difficult to get the jackets on and off, and a no-canvas, unlined jacket becomes more like an overshirt.

Thanks! So would you say butterfly lining with light half canvas is a good idea? Does going full canvas in this case really make that much of a difference? As I said, I’d rather hold the cost lower for a cotton jacket.

Marccarlsson

Reaction score

Unlined still has lining in the arms though.

zurich64

Reaction score
Thanks! So would you say butterfly lining with light half canvas is a good idea? Does going full canvas in this case really make that much of a difference? As I said, I’d rather hold the cost lower for a cotton jacket.
Yes. Quarter/butterfly lining with half canvas is good enough for casual cotton/linen jackets. Go with the lighter 2 ply canvas option, I feel the difference in weight and heft of the jackets with light canvas. On my wool/silk/linen blend jackets, this lightweight canvas makes a big difference in weight, and nicer to wear in spring/summer.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Yes. Quarter/butterfly lining with half canvas is good enough for casual cotton/linen jackets. Go with the lighter 2 ply canvas option, I feel the difference in weight and heft of the jackets with light canvas. On my wool/silk/linen blend jackets, this lightweight canvas makes a big difference in weight, and nicer to wear in spring/summer.
Thank you so much! What’d you think in regards to the lapels? I’ve been thinking about the wider option, but don’t want anything clown like. Do the wider lapels differ in size depending on the base size of the jacket? I think the base size for me is either 42/44 (before any MtM changes).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads