• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zewill

Reaction score
In some ways, this is the crux of the SF paradox. To a tailoring layperson like me, the jacket’s fit looks darn good. A few alterations, like extending the sleeve length, are needed—and, with working button holes, the spacing will be a bit off. Otherwise, it looks great. But it may not be proper based on tailoring rules, which, granted, come from much experience and expertise.

Something I always wonder about: We see static images here, so can observe minute details. But the jacket’s real application will be dynamic. Will folks even have a chance to notice any of these issues? Obviously, if the fit is way off, it’ll be bad any way you cut it. But if it’s 80% of the way there ...

The custom program does allow for a change of the sleeve pitch.
Wouldn’t sleeve pitch be something you adjust after try on rather than pre plan? Fits at suit supply vary somewhat even within the same collection so I’m unsure how someone would adjust for the custom program. Has anyone tried it?

nevaeh

Reaction score
Wouldn’t sleeve pitch be something you adjust after try on rather than pre plan? Fits at suit supply vary somewhat even within the same collection so I’m unsure how someone would adjust for the custom program. Has anyone tried it?

The in-store custom made program involves a trial garment. They will pin and mark adjustments, including sleeve pitch, based on how the trial garment fits.

Reaction score
Should I go back up a size? Trying to buy my first decent suit that isn't the same polyester piece of crud I've had througout my 20s.

Am 6ft1" & 172bls (78kg) for context.

First is a 40R Havanna. Felt way to big and boxy on me.

Second is a 38R Washington. Feels great on, but has collar gap on the left hand side and some wrinkling on the arm's but hoping it can calm down after a press. But in comparison the Havana drape's better? Thought's? Still finding my feet in menswear so appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• 2021-02-26 04.04.59.jpg
    2021-02-26 04.04.59.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 2021-02-26 04.04.17.jpg
    2021-02-26 04.04.17.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG-20200407-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20200407-WA0003.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 2021-02-26 03.59.03.jpg
    2021-02-26 03.59.03.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 167
  • 2021-02-26 04.00.12.jpg
    2021-02-26 04.00.12.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 2021-02-26 04.00.56.jpg
    2021-02-26 04.00.56.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 2021-02-26 04.02.25.jpg
    2021-02-26 04.02.25.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 234

papado

Reaction score
Should I go back up a size? Trying to buy my first decent suit that isn't the same polyester piece of crud I've had througout my 20s.

Second is a 38R Washington. Feels great on, but has collar gap on the left hand side and some wrinkling on the arm's but hoping it can calm down after a press. But in comparison the Havana drape's better? Thought's? Still finding my feet in menswear so appreciate any feedback.

Washington is too small--that collar gap is more of a function of poor fitting narrow shoulder/armholes. I would try a 40 and see how it goes instead.

The havanna looks pretty good but I can't tell from one of the angles whether the chest buckles out a little bit, but that could also just be your posture at the moment you took the picture. You just need to take it to a tailor to have the sides taken in and it will be a beautiful jacket on you and lose that 'boxy' impression you have.

Remember that it's easier to take items which are slightly too big (e.g. jacket body, pants hem opening/thing) in as opposed to dealing with something which is already too slim.

archipel

Reaction score

Washington is super-slim fit. Havana is slim fit. Maybe try Havana in 38R?

Reaction score
Washington is too small--that collar gap is more of a function of poor fitting narrow shoulder/armholes. I would try a 40 and see how it goes instead.

The havanna looks pretty good but I can't tell from one of the angles whether the chest buckles out a little bit, but that could also just be your posture at the moment you took the picture. You just need to take it to a tailor to have the sides taken in and it will be a beautiful jacket on you and lose that 'boxy' impression you have.

Remember that it's easier to take items which are slightly too big (e.g. jacket body, pants hem opening/thing) in as opposed to dealing with something which is already too slim.

Hey Papado, thanks so much for the feedback!

I can confirm the Havanna buckled at the chest regardless of my position / posture.

There isnt a SuSu store in my country and i've missed my window to return the Washington, Havnna has already been returned. I wish I had found SF before purchasing a suit! I might reach out to SuSu and see if they would grant a late return, but feel really bad returning two suits as these were both from their custom made program. I guess my final question is, think its a passable fit overall to a layman? Am hoping I can just keep the jacket unbuttoned (as it would only be worn during the summer) so i can actually wear it (and not throw ~400€ down the drain). But I know (now) that collar gap is the number 1 no-no :(.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

adrianvo

Reaction score
Hey Papado, thanks so much for the feedback!

I can confirm the Havanna buckled at the chest regardless of my position / posture.

There isnt a SuSu store in my country and i've missed my window to return the Washington, Havnna has already been returned. I wish I had found SF before purchasing a suit! I might reach out to SuSu and see if they would grant a late return, but feel really bad returning two suits as these were both from their custom made program. I guess my final question is, think its a passable fit overall to a layman? Am hoping I can just keep the jacket unbuttoned (as it would only be worn during the summer) so i can actually wear it (and not throw ~400€ down the drain). But I know (now) that collar gap is the number 1 no-no :(.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!
Try the Lazio fit (via the custom made program, but select the option to choose every detail yourself).
I have 4 suits in Lazio, and 3 more on the way plus a blazer, and they fit me as good as an OTR garment can, I think. The Havana looks similar on me as it does on you, so I thought perhaps this fit would be better for you as well.

The washington suit doesn't look too bad for an OTR size. However, you have got to do something about your shirt. Get a bigger shirt collar, and tighten your tie. Tiny shirt-collars can worsen collar gaps.

Get something like this:

b2cf488adb480e3d0170fc1e28efc6a6.jpg

It will look much more proportional.

Reaction score
Try the Lazio fit (via the custom made program, but select the option to choose every detail yourself).
I have 4 suits in Lazio, and 3 more on the way plus a blazer, and they fit me as good as an OTR garment can, I think. The Havana looks similar on me as it does on you, so I thought perhaps this fit would be better for you as well.

The washington suit doesn't look too bad for an OTR size. However, you have got to do something about your shirt. Get a bigger shirt collar, and tighten your tie. Tiny shirt-collars can worsen collar gaps.

Get something like this:

View attachment 1563023

It will look much more proportional.

Hi Adrianvo,

Thanks for the info! I just spoke with SuSu and they are willing to grant an exception and allow a late return, the customer service from them is beyond exceptional.

Based on my fit pics I should go for a 40R Lazio (versus a 38R)?

Completely agree on the shirt, collar doesn't fit me on that shirt anymore, my neck is thickening with age, but was my only white shirt to try with the suit.

Hugely appreciate your assistance!

adrianvo

Reaction score
Hi Adrianvo,

Thanks for the info! I just spoke with SuSu and they are willing to grant an exception and allow a late return, the customer service from them is beyond exceptional.

Completely agree on the shirt, collar doesn't fit me on that shirt anymore, my neck is thickening with age, but was my only white shirt to try with the suit.

Glad to hear! I just wish UPS had equally good customer service. ?

Hard to say, I'm 5'10.6'' according to Google, and I'm 72kg. That said, 38R fits me really well.

It's like you're in-between sizes. The 38R shoulders definitely look the best though, which is the hardest thing to get right (and fix). The Havana 40R looks too big, in my humble opinion, and the Washington looks a bit fashion-forward (read skinny), but that could be a matter of the Washington's extra slim fit.

This article might help: https://www.misiuacademy.com/suitsupply-suit-fits/

Reaction score
Around Black Friday I bought a few 38R suits from the online outlet. After having them sit in the closet since they arrived, unworn and unaltered, and realizing I won't be wearing them anytime soon I'm mentioning here in case anyone is interested for cost plus shipping. I posted a couple pics here back in late Nov. If you're interested shoot me a message.
Dark Grey Lazio (wool/linen blend, 240)
Pink Herringbone Havana (wool, 180)
Light Blue Lazio (3 piece linen, 190)
Navy check Havana (linen, 180)

kithking23

Reaction score
Around Black Friday I bought a few 38R suits from the online outlet. After having them sit in the closet since they arrived, unworn and unaltered, and realizing I won't be wearing them anytime soon I'm mentioning here in case anyone is interested for cost plus shipping. I posted a couple pics here back in late Nov. If you're interested shoot me a message.
Dark Grey Lazio (wool/linen blend, 240)
Pink Herringbone Havana (wool, 180)
Light Blue Lazio (3 piece linen, 190)
Navy check Havana (linen, 180)
pm on lazio

compuccesory

Reaction score
Hi Adrianvo,

It looks like your left shoulder is significantly taller than your right shoulder which is partially the cause of some of your collar gap problems. Obviously some jackets fit better than others, but consider that you might be able to improve the fit through alterations by adding or removing padding from one shoulder, which shouldn't be too difficult for a tailor.

Marc S

Reaction score
Anyone seen the new stretch/selvedge denim options from SuSu? Very interesting, have they offer these before and if so, any opinions on quality and fit? Thanks!

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Selling a couple of barely worn SuSu suits at really good prices. See below for more details. Open to offers. PM me to buy, discuss pricing, or request more info/pics.

SuitSupply Navy Blue Check Lazio 38R ($130): https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuitSupply-Navy-Blue-Check-Lazio-38R/143963837266

SuitSupply Light Gray Chalk Stripe Lazio 3-piece Suit 38R ($130):

SuitSupply Havana Navy Blue Pin Stripe Double Breasted Suit 38R ($150): https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuitSupply...-Stripe-Double-Breasted-Suit-38R/143963823735

EthansAlley

Reaction score
Anyone seen the new stretch/selvedge denim options from SuSu? Very interesting, have they offer these before and if so, any opinions on quality and fit? Thanks!

@Marc S These jeans are very slim/tight fitting on the thigh and ankle to the point they qualify as skinny fit. The 32 has only a 6.9” leg opening. If you can’t fit the porto fit, then I wouldn’t bother with the jeans. A few years ago, SuSu offered a more relaxed fit denim option (I believe it was Carson fit), but I’ve only seen those on the Outlet recently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads