• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don’t take it personally. But every shoemaker has had a tough time. But an even tougher time by not adjusting to the economy. Susu founder said it best: No one is buying suits in their homes and gardens. That’s why we have had this huge outlet sale.

when its 70% off on Susu and Meermin, Carlos Santos and J Fitzpatrick still charging $300 seems ridiculous. they know it. People are going to try these susu / Meermin shoes and become lifelong customers because, other brands are not worth the price. I bought 15 new Meermin shoes during their sale. 5 Susu shoes (only because the variety was lacking). spent more than I ever would. But now, I wouldn’t spend $300 on a pair. Not because I can’t afford. Only because the value and market has shifted.

it’s like H and M, Susu and fast fashion has caused the death of mid tier fashion brands. Mid tier shoe brands are numbered likewise.

you retail for them. Noble Tell them straight out. Their pricing sucks At the moment.
I don't take it personally, I did think you did though so I wanted to explain myself! All good now!

I won't derail the thread, but I had my best ever month in 2020 in November and 2020 in general has been steadily amazing. People will buy experiences, service and forge connections. The shoe industry was not prepared and plunged in debt and no structure at all. Whoever comes out of this covid shenanigans unscathed will be even stronger. Doesn't matter for us, since in the end the consumer wins with great deals.

I don't buy SuSu anymore outside custom (I did get one suit in the outlet) because I have enough of them and I want quality over quantity now (fit wise). Much fewer pieces, more custom (including SuSu) etc. A deal has to be pretty good to pass in an outlet for example. That's my PoV though

Last edited:

compuccesory

Reaction score
I don't take it personally, I did think you did though so I wanted to explain myself! All good now!

I won't derail the thread, but I had my best ever month in 2020 in November and 2020 in general has been steadily amazing. People will buy experiences, service and forge connections. The shoe industry was not prepared and plunged in debt and no structure at all. Whoever comes out of this covid shenanigans unscathed will be even stronger. Doesn't matter for us, since in the end the consumer wins with great deals.

I don't buy SuSu anymore outside custom (I did get one suit in the outlet) because I have enough of them and I want quality over quantity now (fit wise). Much fewer pieces, more custom (including SuSu) etc. A deal has to be pretty good to pass in an outlet for example. That's my PoV though

I bought some Meermin Linea Maestro 2nds and they arrived on the same day as the SuSu shoes, I think they're pretty nice but a bit snug for my feet since I'm on the edge of being an E width. Wearing them right now and trying to decide if I want to break them in and see if they improve, or maybe get rid of them. at almost 4x the price of the SuSu shoes, eh, I dunno if I would buy Meermin again.

Why don't you like Meermin?

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some Meermin Linea Maestro 2nds and they arrived on the same day as the SuSu shoes, I think they're pretty nice but a bit snug for my feet since I'm on the edge of being an E width. Wearing them right now and trying to decide if I want to break them in and see if they improve, or maybe get rid of them. at almost 4x the price of the SuSu shoes, eh, I dunno if I would buy Meermin again.

Why don't you like Meermin?
Horrible customer service, cheap materials, quality issues, stiff leather, uneven shoes, lower leather quality is a few of them. My own experience ofc and not representative of everyone. At their base entry price I would totally take CNES or Skolyx/Yanko over them.

They are good shoes for entry level and familiarizing yourself with welted footwear but I am not a fan. I have written an article and a video review about a used pair I checked out to see how they age. I would buy the main line as I don't see any benefit from hand-welting to justify the price of the Maestro.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don’t take it personally. But every shoemaker has had a tough time. But an even tougher time by not adjusting to the economy. Susu founder said it best: No one is buying suits in their homes and gardens. That’s why we have had this huge outlet sale.

when its 70% off on Susu and Meermin, Carlos Santos and J Fitzpatrick still charging $300 seems ridiculous. they know it. People are going to try these susu / Meermin shoes and become lifelong customers because, other brands are not worth the price. I bought 15 new Meermin shoes during their sale. 5 Susu shoes (only because the variety was lacking). spent more than I ever would. But now, I wouldn’t spend $300 on a pair. Not because I can’t afford. Only because the value and market has shifted.

it’s like H and M, Susu and fast fashion has caused the death of mid tier fashion brands. Mid tier shoe brands are numbered likewise.

you retail for them. Noble Tell them straight out. Their pricing sucks At the moment.

I couldn’t disagree more....

1) very very few people are loyal to a single brand. This is just not what people do so the notion of life long loyal customers will not materialize in large numbers
2) for plenty of people who buy good shoes Meermin is below the mark no matter how much they’re discounted.
3) 300$ for a pair of good shoes normally retailing for say 400 is a pretty good deal and I want certain brands to survive so I buy from them

Would love to hear in say two years what you think about the 15 pair of meermin. I, and I’m sure a lot of people, have gone through a phase where you’d buy a lot because of great deals only later to still regret quite a few of them and becoming much more considerate about the shoes you want to have.

db9sfast

Reaction score
I mean we all like to hate suitsupply. Read Noble’s article in how we should avoid susu. And how you are just A number to them. There are 30 reasons to avoid Susu. But he still buys from Susu despite the hate.

At one season I counted how many suits Susu had vs Zegna. It was 170 styles of Susu vs 7 of Zegna.

at the end of the day a Susu suit is never going to outlast a Zegna. But we are all here on this forum because for a tenth the price, a Susu will last 80% of a Zegna. Thats value. It’s not about cheaper (there are $30 suits), its always the value. And nothing seems to be beating Susu at retail prices and definitely not outlet.

same with Meermin. For a fraction, we are getting very close to the best.

to out it simply Susu is the best bang for buck. And I am a customer That likes this despite being able to afford better. Styles change all the time, in 10 years I don’t want to be wearing an old Zegna despite how long it lasts. I want to be wearing the latest suitsupply, only because i can afford to throw the Susu away.

and i hate it when people harp about oh this is off that isn’t good quality. You can buy better. Yes, but let those brands do better instead for me doing better. let them undercut susu or Meermin prices, and then I’ll think about it.

Last edited:

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I bought one pair of SuSu boots earlier this year for $69 bucks and the leather was frankly, just average. But for the price I still get calfskin leather upper, leather lining and a non branded hard rubber sole it's hard to beat. The MSRP of 249 on the box is heavily inflated. But for the outlet price its a heck lot better than an equivalent Cole Haan or mall branded boots. I think as long as people don't expect too much they are decent.

I also caved and bought a pair of the $54 navy sneakers. It seems too good to pass up for the materials and I think they look pretty good at least in the pictures. I will be curious however to see if they can beat the $55 I paid for the now defunct Barney's sneakers that look suspiciously identical in materials and profile to Common Projects achilles (including an identical rear tab)

Reaction score
Still waiting on shipping confirm for my 1st order from last week Wednesday. Placed 2 more since then, couldn't pass up the deals.

No issue with waiting a few extra days due to what I'm sure was heavy volume for them, just hoping none of the items get cancelled.

kithking23

Reaction score
Still waiting on shipping confirm for my 1st order from last week Wednesday. Placed 2 more since then, couldn't pass up the deals.

No issue with waiting a few extra days due to what I'm sure was heavy volume for them, just hoping none of the items get cancelled.
Smh same

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought one pair of SuSu boots earlier this year for $69 bucks and the leather was frankly, just average. But for the price I still get calfskin leather upper, leather lining and a non branded hard rubber sole it's hard to beat. The MSRP of 249 on the box is heavily inflated. But for the outlet price its a heck lot better than an equivalent Cole Haan or mall branded boots. I think as long as people don't expect too much they are decent.

I also caved and bought a pair of the $54 navy sneakers. It seems too good to pass up for the materials and I think they look pretty good at least in the pictures. I will be curious however to see if they can beat the $55 I paid for the now defunct Barney's sneakers that look suspiciously identical in materials and profile to Common Projects achilles (including an identical rear tab)
The navy sneakers were our best sellers in the Stockholm store!!

MisterBB

Reaction score
Just had another order ship. This one has 4 items

And they are still adding items. Just wish one of those was that DB Havana or white shawl.

Frigcatcher01

Reaction score
Just had another order ship. This one has 4 items

And they are still adding items. Just wish one of those was that DB Havana or white shawl.

I am also still waiting for that Camel Herringbone Havana Suit that was sold a minute before I could enter my payment information :(

Wish I could at least pick up 1 piece from the outlet !

MisterBB

Reaction score
Got another Havana in SB Navy Wool. $180 is just too tough to beat

abmo420

Reaction score
1606964469391.png

Anyone have this one or know how it looks in real life

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads