• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A question to those with more experience with different types of lining on suits. When assembling a suit in their online Custom Made programme it states in the lining infographic that the lining impacts the drape of the garment - both, jacket and trousers.

• Full lined: "Fully lined jackets feature a linking throughout the entirety of a jacket's interior. Unlike half lined, they offer a strong, more structured drape and more luxurious wear."
  • Half lined: "Half lined jackets feature a linking throughout the top half of a jacket's interior, including the arms. Unlike fully lined, they offer a lighter, more natural drape."
  • The same applies to trousers.

Surely the lining does not have much of an effect on the drape? Should that not be most affected by the outer fabric and the canvassing? I would appreciate people's experience in this regard.
It definitely has an effect on drape in my experience. Mostly in the back of the jacket, though. Depending on what you're wearing underneath, and the texture of the jacket fabric, there can often be a bit of friction in the back that causes it to snag a bit and drape less cleanly. The smooth lining allows the jacket to move more freely over whatever else you're wearing. That also makes it more comfortable, and is why I typically prefer a full lining in all of my jackets. Guys often talk about the benefits of half or quarter lining in hot weather, but I struggle to tell the difference. Especially if the lining is a good quality Cupro/Bemberg.

I agree with @Imperatores that a lining lets the jacket slide nicely against you when you move. It drapes along your hip when you walk, for example. There's less friction and bunching of fabric.

Not that you asked, but I still mostly prefer less lining.

sansimeon

Reaction score
My wallet is really starting to suffer.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
In what countries is the outlet still open? I try different countries through Nord VPN and it always says that the outlet is not available in my country.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
So if I try to order something for example from Belgium to another European country then it would not be possible?

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang. The solaro suit I was looking at dropped $50. They also restocked the emerald green flannel DB, but it sold out in my size by the time I added it to my cart. They had a few waistcoats that dropped from $120 to $50. I snagged a few of those.

Frigcatcher01

Reaction score
I need your help!

I am a size 48/50 and saw this suit I really love, but obviously the 48/50 is sold out... but.. there is a size 94!

Is this a long version of the 48 ? its in the same column basically..

I am 183cm tall if that information helps :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 8.58.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 8.58.13 PM.png
    353 KB · Views: 69

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need your help!

I am a size 48/50 and saw this suit I really love, but obviously the 48/50 is sold out... but.. there is a size 94!

Is this a long version of the 48 ? its in the same column basically..

I am 183cm tall if that information helps :)

Don’t get the long version if the regular fits you well, especially in the sleeve length and waist.

nzahir

Reaction score
No 38s restocks =(

They do price match I believe in stores, but not sure if they will do it if the item is still online or if they actually marked some off in store (think the former)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads