• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A word of caution re full lining. It will solve the friction issue but if you live in a cold climate it will render the trousers significantly cooler than they would otherwise be.

For what it's worth, I prefer a wider leg opening and friction still a problem. I'm not sure of the solution short of going for the full-on 1930s parachute pants look.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
A word of caution re full lining. It will solve the friction issue but if you live in a cold climate it will render the trousers significantly cooler than they would otherwise be.

For what it's worth, I prefer a wider leg opening and friction still a problem. I'm not sure of the solution short of going for the full-on 1930s parachute pants look.

Really? Shouldn't the lining make it slightly warmer? I've never had any issues with my legs freezing, so don't know if that'll be too big of an issue.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? Shouldn't the lining make it slightly warmer? I've never had any issues with my legs freezing, so don't know if that'll be too big of an issue.

That has been my experience, and I don't typically have problems with cold legs either. It was noticeably cooler.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
By the way, these are the trousers I'm thinking about (or rather the fabric, because I'm going the MtM route). Do you guys think that the fabric will work as a pair of odd trousers? I actually like navy odd trousers (people seem to have something against them here), but wondering if they might be a tad bit too dark. Going to order an odd jacket in the same fabric soon, so I'll be able to use it as a whole suit too.

japejapejape

Reaction score
I also think the length of the trouser contributes to the pants getting caught on your calves. I’ve found going a little wider and longer helps

Jazzthief

Reaction score
By the way, these are the trousers I'm thinking about (or rather the fabric, because I'm going the MtM route). Do you guys think that the fabric will work as a pair of odd trousers? I actually like navy odd trousers (people seem to have something against them here), but wondering if they might be a tad bit too dark. Going to order an odd jacket in the same fabric soon, so I'll be able to use it as a whole suit too.

Yes, this is a great fabric for odd trousers. As to the people saying that lining makes the trousers cooler: I do not have any words, as when one gives the matter an ounce of thought then it should become clear that such a notion is absolute nonsense. If anything then nowadays it would make things warmer, but the lining material Suitsupply uses for trousers is Bemberg, so it really does not make them 'warmer" and certainly not 'cooler'. The person above just might have used a fabric that is cooler.

The lining, however, does help to make trousers less 'sticky' and by a great margin. Still, the most important thing in this regard is the width of the trousers, and one does not have to go ultra wide like in the 1930s to solve this problem with over the calf socks. I myself cannot say what the best width would be for you as it depends. Slim trousers inheretly will be at least a little 'sticky'. The material of the socks is also important: the smoother they are, the less 'sticky' the whole affair will be. Smooth cotton is the best from my experience.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're being awfully presumptuous. I answered the question in good faith. My response was based on my own personal experiences with heavy winter fabrics and lined trousers. By all means, disagree. But to call my response absolute nonsense is a bridge too far.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
You're being awfully presumptuous. I answered the question in good faith. My response was based on my own personal experiences with heavy winter fabrics and lined trousers. By all means, disagree. But to call my response absolute nonsense is a bridge too far.

I do apologise that I may have come off slightly posh - it was not my intention. Of course we are talking from our experience here as 'armchair stylists'. All in all, lining does not make a trouser wear cooler, the material and weave of the fabric are what count here.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't come off as posh, just arrogant. Your usage of the word suggests you are a Brit, so you probably don't have a whole lot of experience in an urban winter environment. I would argue the lining becomes more of a factor the longer one spends outside. It's obviously less of a problem in a heated environment, but at -20 you will feel the difference.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
You don't come off as posh, just arrogant. Your usage of the word suggests you are a Brit, so you probably don't have a whole lot of experience in an urban winter environment. I would argue the lining becomes more of a factor the longer one spends outside. It's obviously less of a problem in a heated environment, but at -20 you will feel the difference.

I am not a Brit, I live in a part of the world where the winters drop to -30 degrees Celsius and the summers get equally hot. In addition, I spend my time 50-50 in the city and in the country. From my experience lining certainly does not make trousers wear cooler as I have lined and unlined trousers in thick flannel, heavy worsted wool and lighweight wool - lining has not made them wear cooler during any season. It has somewhat helped to stay somewhat warmer with thinner fabrics, however, but the overall thickness of the fabrics is most of importance here as well - from my experience obviously.

Edit: I remembered the word 'presumptuous' to mean something else.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You were definitely being presumptuous.

If you live in a place that gets proper winter that just means your subjective experience differs from mine. It does not make my opinion on the matter less valid than yours. So it seems we are at an impasse.

With that said, I suppose it's up to the OP to try it for himself. Good luck, and let us know how it pans out.

Trit

Reaction score
The push towards casualness I think is a bad move for Suit Supply and it's also not the bargain it used to be. But that said, I still go for them over anyone else for the price point. I see they brought back the Washington without the extra details that made it too gaudy, in my opinion. The blue Washington I have without the ticket pocket and three-roll-two is a great jacket that makes you feel like a million bucks, even if it's only $300. Suit Supply hasn't fully lost it's style yet.

This is a green herring bone I got from the last outlet and finally got tailored. I like it. Sorry for the lifestyle-esque photo. I tried to see if I could get my hats in frame.

hats2 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

Sellidor

Reaction score
It seems that they're now offering custom-made overcoats. I do wonder how many modifications are possible in terms of fit.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
It seems that they're now offering custom-made overcoats. I do wonder how many modifications are possible in terms of fit.

I noticed that, too. Peculiar that they come so cheap though. Last autumn/winter when I enquired about made to measure overcoats the prices were almost twice as much. I will probably drop by a store soon and will ask about it.

zanci

Reaction score
a merano for 350, wonderful.

What do you guys think about the new belt coat in camel?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics