• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey @Betelgeuse, I was doing some research in another thread and came across a thread of yours from several years ago. Looks like you were asking for opinions on having a tailor remove/reduce shoulder pads on a suit you had with quite structured shoulders. Did you ever go through with this? If so, was it successful and how much did it cost? Thanks in advance!
Hey man, well sadly I didn't found at that time, someone that could do the alteration. So I ended up selling those jackets.

compuccesory

Reaction score
I've had shoulder padding removed from a jacket, took the tailor less than 15min and was done while I waited. Of course this is for a jacket that was initially more heavily padded than most Suitsupply jackets (if that's what you're talking about) and there's no guarantee that the fit of the shoulders won't be off after you remove the padding.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the shoulders on my Washingtons altered. The point was to improve upon the fit, but the effect was that they became somewhat softer in appearance. It's not something I'd do if I was unsure of the abilities of the tailor. It's easy to ruin the sleeve pitch.

Marc S

Reaction score
I had the shoulders on my Washingtons altered. The point was to improve upon the fit, but the effect was that they became somewhat softer in appearance. It's not something I'd do if I was unsure of the abilities of the tailor. It's easy to ruin the sleeve pitch.

Nice! That's exactly the shoulder I want to alter. Want a Custom Made with Structured (Washington style) shoulders to be tailored to a shoulder with less padding just like my Lazio. Plan to take the Lazio in to show the tailor exactly what I'm looking for. Any chance you could share what that cost you?

Marc S

Reaction score
I've had shoulder padding removed from a jacket, took the tailor less than 15min and was done while I waited. Of course this is for a jacket that was initially more heavily padded than most Suitsupply jackets (if that's what you're talking about) and there's no guarantee that the fit of the shoulders won't be off after you remove the padding.

Actually looking to take a Washington-style shoulder to something like a Lazio. Thanks for the feedback!

Marc S

Reaction score
Do we have any tailors on this thread? I’m also curious—but my sense is that this is a difficult alteration, as it would fundamentally alter the suit’s structure. @Marc S, is this question hypothetical or are you considering having this done?

Thanks for asking. Looking to get my Custom Made with Washington shoulders reduced:

Specifically, reduced to look just like my Custom Made with Lazio shoulders:

Given the wonderful deal I got, I might be ok spending a good amount of money making that happen. However, a little worried at the chance I'd be taking at completely screwing it up - so reaching out for feedback here :)

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! That's exactly the shoulder I want to alter. Want a Custom Made with Structured (Washington style) shoulders to be tailored to a shoulder with less padding just like my Lazio. Plan to take the Lazio in to show the tailor exactly what I'm looking for. Any chance you could share what that cost you?

It probably depends on your location. It cost around €80 here in Finland.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Thanks for asking. Looking to get my Custom Made with Washington shoulders reduced:

Specifically, reduced to look just like my Custom Made with Lazio shoulders:

Given the wonderful deal I got, I might be ok spending a good amount of money making that happen. However, a little worried at the chance I'd be taking at completely screwing it up - so reaching out for feedback here :)

Perhaps post your question on "The Tailors' Thread" for one of the experts. What do you dislike about the structured shoulders? Both the grey and navy ones look good on you!

nevaeh

Reaction score
Is there a way to check on SuitSupply's system whether a custom made suit is full or half-canvas? I ordered two full-canvas suits (and was charged the upgrade for it), but cannot feel the canvas below the waist button. I'd like to know whether these suits show up as full-canvas in their system.

Last edited:

Marc S

Reaction score
Perhaps post your question on "The Tailors' Thread" for one of the experts. What do you dislike about the structured shoulders? Both the grey and navy ones look good on you!

Great suggestion! Will post there. And thank you - after looking at those pictures I agree; in person, for some reason when I put they gray one on I long for the padding in the navy one ?

nevaeh

Reaction score
Great suggestion! Will post there. And thank you - after looking at those pictures I agree; in person, for some reason when I put they gray one on I long for the padding in the navy one ?

Sometimes we're are own worst critics!

JackEst3

Reaction score
Got my first "proper" suit (100% wool, half-canvas construction, decent quality) along with this red striped tie from their shop in Tallinn, Estonia recently. We tried a few models, but eventually decided on this charcoal Lazio model in size EU44. The jacket fit great, but the salesman said the trousers would probably need to be custom-made to fit me (I have a very slim physique). Luckily since the suit was available as separates, I tried on the trousers a size smaller and they fit great! Even though SuitSupply is known for their short trousers, these have an almost perfect break (and I have fairly long legs as well).

IMG_20200805_165256.jpg

The only problem with the fit perhaps the slightly short sleeves, but the shirt I'm wearing in the picture has sleeves that are a bit too long and there seems to be some fabric inlay to get the sleeves lengthened. (I've had that done to a second-hand SuitSupply jacket already).

With all things considered, SuitSupply does seem like the best value for money in the entry-to-mid-level range in Estonia. Many of the local brands, including those that take pride in making "high quality business clothing", are either not really suitable for my body type, made of polyester blends or styled extremely fashion-foward with narrow lapes, short jackets, etc, not to even mention the fast fashion shops. The "designer" brands are overpriced for the money they charge and don't seem designed all that well either. So, I'm quite glad to have SuitSupply around as a young man looking for decent quality, classically styled clothing.

compuccesory

Reaction score
Got my first "proper" suit (100% wool, half-canvas construction, decent quality) along with this red striped tie from their shop in Tallinn, Estonia recently. We tried a few models, but eventually decided on this charcoal Lazio model in size EU44. The jacket fit great, but the salesman said the trousers would probably need to be custom-made to fit me (I have a very slim physique). Luckily since the suit was available as separates, I tried on the trousers a size smaller and they fit great! Even though SuitSupply is known for their short trousers, these have an almost perfect break (and I have fairly long legs as well).

View attachment 1436379

The only problem with the fit perhaps the slightly short sleeves, but the shirt I'm wearing in the picture has sleeves that are a bit too long and there seems to be some fabric inlay to get the sleeves lengthened. (I've had that done to a second-hand SuitSupply jacket already).

With all things considered, SuitSupply does seem like the best value for money in the entry-to-mid-level range in Estonia. Many of the local brands, including those that take pride in making "high quality business clothing", are either not really suitable for my body type, made of polyester blends or styled extremely fashion-foward with narrow lapes, short jackets, etc, not to even mention the fast fashion shops. The "designer" brands are overpriced for the money they charge and don't seem designed all that well either. So, I'm quite glad to have SuitSupply around as a young man looking for decent quality, classically styled clothing.
Looks OK but is on the shorter side. I would also consider going with a longer length jacket in the future, which will also (in part) solve the sleeve issue

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1436379

Perfectly elegant, classic suit. Much nicer than my first suit. I really like the Lazio, for its strong shoulders and wide lapels. I’m glad you found pieces that fit you so well. ?

JackEst3

Reaction score
Looks OK but is on the shorter side. I would also consider going with a longer length jacket in the future, which will also (in part) solve the sleeve issue

The front seems a bit short, I agree, but it covers my seat and is otherwise good, so I don't mind.

I would also consider going with a longer length jacket in the future, which will also (in part) solve the sleeve issue

Possibly, that might work. I have thought of trying my normal size in an L length, but I'm not sure if that might be going too far in the other direction. I might try it if I happen to be in their shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads